The Student Room Group

TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni.

Scroll to see replies

If you don't pay the licence fee, then the BBC stops producing quality programs.

I honestly think I'd rather kill myself than surrender to the mindless drivel and pure rubbish seen on ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and their ilk. The BBC is the last bastion of good British broadcasting, so pay your licence fee and enjoy it.
Reply 181
Annie72
They only cost around £10 a month , surely thats cheaper than having to fork out £1000 fine that you could get when they prosecute you?

The average fine is the fee itself
Reply 182
Smtn
The average fine is the fee itself

I really didnt know that, genuinely thought it was 1k. Must have watched too many "Get a TV licence" ads!!.:smile:
Reply 183
AidanLunn
Im sorry, but neither Doctor Who nor Shooting Stars would not be in the interests of commercial broadcasters.

Doctor Who because a) it is too expensive (I think the 2005 series cost £3million) and b) it wouldn't be popular enough in the ratings.

What? Doctor Who has received spectacular ratings. I seem to recall its Christmas episode was one of the most watched programmes on television a couple of years ago.

As for expense - it is ludicrous to suggest that expensive programmes are the preserve of the BBC. ITV has made plenty of very expensive dramas and series - many of which outrank something as simple as Doctor Who.

Shooting Stars because it has far too much quality in it and, again, the ratings are too low to interest an indie.

Ratings may be low, but so are costs. Do you understand capitalism?
Reply 184
Yeah i think Primeval was pretty expensive hence they have had to axe it. It's a shame really.
how are they going to know if you are watching tv on a laptop/computer if you use the internet/portable reciever
Reply 186
Magic :yep:
Aphotic Cosmos
Channel 4

i always loved channel 4 (although i haven't seen british TV for ages, maybe it's changed). the BBC is one of the things i miss most when i'm in canada. TV here is unbearable.

but yeah, the BBC's absolutely amazing and worth paying for, so shut up and pay the licence fee innit.
infernalcradle
how are they going to know if you are watching tv on a laptop/computer if you use the internet/portable reciever

Quite simply, they're not. There is absolutely no evidence that those "enforcement vans" exist, and there are no systems in place to trace you when you watch streaming live television online. You have no obligation to let an enforcement agent into your home, and without going into your home it's doubtful that they could get a warrant to search it, so they have no way to verify that any equipment even exists, and even if they could see that you own it, that wouldn't amount to the standard of proof needed to convict you of using it, especially if we're just talking about using a laptop to view online (keep in mind they'd need to prove you were using it plugged in when watching to prove illegality, and good luck with that).

TV licencing only persists because people are scared into paying. No-one has the power to actually force the issue if you choose not to pay.
Reply 189
Pocket Calculator
i always loved channel 4 (although i haven't seen british TV for ages, maybe it's changed). the BBC is one of the things i miss most when i'm in canada. TV here is unbearable.

Er, BBC Canada?

but yeah, the BBC's absolutely amazing and worth paying for, so shut up and pay the licence fee innit.

According to the BBC's own research, the vast majority of people disagree.
raspberryswirl
Nope, you only need a license if you use it to receive a live signal.

Fran Katzenjammer
After reading the licensing website, it seems that if I watch TV on my laptop which is not live (so, iPlayer after it's been on TV) and if my laptop is running on battery power, I will not be fined.

Is this true?

I'm pretty sure you can watch a live stream with a battery powered device, it's a loophole that constitutes that you're basically watching a device like a pocket tv (remember those) and since it's mobile and self powered you do not need a licence.

Until a few years ago you did not need a licence for uni, it was covered by your one at home. That's pretty unfortunate to have changed.

815 Iain

We intend on buying a license, but not until were all moved in and then split the cost. Cheeky bastards.

Make sure you don't mention you are seperate unrelated occupiers... you will get charged for one each.

On topic, most halls of residence will not allow tv licence detectives in as they are privately owned property residences that have the right to regulate their own occupiers. Mine last year apparently didn't let 'em in.
Reply 191
The main answer to your question is that most TV inspectors can not in fact enter your home. Unless some idiot lets them in, which can be a problem.

I had one come around, and basically just told me I didn't have a TV and he couldn't look around. Problem solved.

But, you do have to watch out. Partly in case idiots you live with let them in. But also they can apply for warrants to forceable search your home. A more minority of inspectors also have the right to forceable search you home.

If it were me, I'd ignore it, never bothered me in the passed. but its always a risk, remember that!
L i b
What? Doctor Who has received spectacular ratings. I seem to recall its Christmas episode was one of the most watched programmes on television a couple of years ago.

As for expense - it is ludicrous to suggest that expensive programmes are the preserve of the BBC. ITV has made plenty of very expensive dramas and series - many of which outrank something as simple as Doctor Who.

Ratings may be low, but so are costs. Do you understand capitalism?

Yes I do and you clearly don't understand the way the media works.

Doctors Wo's ratings have gone up and down right throughout its history, mostly down - just below the ratings threshold for ITV to find it interesting. Because of this, it wouldn't have lasted 46 years on ITV. Programmes like Coronation Street have lasted so long because they are *consistently* popular. Doctor Who wouldn't have survived for that long on ITV because of the variations in ratings.

ITV:
low cost show + huge ratings = success
high cost show + huge ratings = success
low cost show + low ratings = failure
High cost show + low ratings = failure.

This is why Shooting Stars would never work on ITV. The ratings are too low.
This is why Shooting Stars is always shown on BBC-2, because that is a channel set up specifically for the BBC's more highbrow and niche programming. ITV aren't interested in programmes that appeal to a niche audience because niche audience = low ratings = not much made from advertsing revenue.
I don't watch TV much, so this is no problem for me. iPlayer for anything BBC :yep:
Trigger
Oh you can **** right off with that. You think i can afford on my crappy wage? Just because you are a student it does not then turn into a get out of jail free card. Stop being a cry baby and buy the damn license or go without. That is what being an adult is about.

No its not.

Even in your first post you said 'pay your bills like a grown up.'

I cant make the link. If anything, when you grow up - you should think for yourself and make your own decisions. **** what the law says.
L i b
Er, BBC Canada?
it's awful, you may be suprised to learn. has just as many adverts as other north american TV channels, and the programming's depressingly similar too. and when they do show UK import shows, they're normally a good six months behind.
Reply 196
Liquidus Zeromus
I don't watch TV much, so this is no problem for me. iPlayer for anything BBC :yep:

Smile while you can because the BBC are trying to change the law now. They now force an entire country to fund them with a TV Licence but it wont last because more and more people are not watching so want an alternative like an internet tax
Reply 197
Pocket Calculator

Sick of hearing this and that BBC America is great (from Americans) when most of they're programming is from the commercial stations like ITV and Channel 4
Reply 198
numb3rb0y
Since you get the letters whether you're breaking the law or not, I don't see it as all that interesting.

Edit - I'm sure all the people who died in the (legal) holocaust would appreciate everyone saying things to the effect of "the law is the law". Statute books have no basis in ethics.

There is a difference between killing people and charging to watch TV. You cannot compare the two.
Reply 199
For those that agree with freedom of choice please sign the petition to abolish the BBC TV Licence.

http://tvlicenceresistance.info/petition/

For those that want an entire country to fund they're favourite broadcaster, cya comrade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending