Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Perhaps Yawn, Perhaps...
    That's my man...optimism creates it's own good fortune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That's my man...optimism creates it's own good fortune.

I take my optimism with a sprinkling of scepticism, and a healthy dose of realism.

I take my optimism with a sprinkling of scepticism, and a healthy dose of realism.
    You're obviously inclined to pessimism in other words. You are shortening your potential life-span with such an outlook...oops...shouldn't have said that 'cos it will make you more pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    You're obviously inclined to pessimism in other words. You are shortening your potential life-span with such an outlook...oops...shouldn't have said that 'cos it will make you more pessimistic.

Not if i take joy in pessimistic analysis of pessimistic predictions. :cool:

Not if i take joy in pessimistic analysis of pessimistic predictions.

So you're a '****-eyed optimist' then?

Personally, I hope you're right as I want people to be able to live long, happy and productive lives, enjoying their pessimitic analyses of pessimistic predictions...and then dying in the knowledge that they were wrong about life after all!

Anyway, enough of this idle chat and let the thread get back to those pessimists who would deny Barack the accolade awarded to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    So you're a '****-eyed optimist' then?

Personally, I hope you're right as I want people to be able to live long, happy and productive lives, enjoying their pessimitic analyses of pessimistic predictions...and then dying in the knowledge that they were wrong about life after all!
    I would rather be pleasantly surprised than bitterly dissapointed.

Anyway, enough of this idle chat and let the thread get back to those pessimists who would deny Barack the accolade awarded to him.
    Good Idea :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yet Obama is increasing the amount of troops in Afghanistan. The US still refuses to enter diplomatic talks with moderate elements of the Taliban. They hav also made no sign of leaving Iraq. His policy is the same as Bush's it is just delivered with more style.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/8283910.stm

They're leaving Iraq. Obviously, you can't do this overnight.

As for Afghanistan, like I said, he was elected with a clear mandate to focus the war effort on finishing the job in Afghanistan. I haven't heard about any refusal to negociate with the Taliban, and I like to think myself quite well read up on this - do you have a source?

And Guantanomo would be emptied by January if the Republicans hadn't vetoed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    And Guantanomo would be emptied by January if the Republicans hadn't vetoed it.
    No it wouldn't. It's a lot harder to close gitmo than people think. The keep terrorists out of America act would stop the transfer or release of terrorists held at the gitmo into the USA. I don't know if Obama was ignorant and didn't know this or maybe he knew and just lied to the electorate to get elected. Gitmo is not closing anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    No it wouldn't. It's a lot harder to close gitmo than people think. The keep terrorists out of America act would stop the transfer or release of terrorists held at the gitmo into the USA. I don't know if Obama was ignorant and didn't know this or maybe he knew and just lied to the electorate to get elected. Gitmo is not closing anytime soon.
    I remember hearing about the GOP introducing this bill but I thought it didn't pass or at least hasn't passed yet. Could be wrong.

edit: after a little googling it looks like it has only been introduced and referred to Committee. Not voted upon.

I know it's not closing soon, despite the best intentions of Obama.

These people still imprisoned in Guantanamo haven't been found guility of terrorism so strictly speaking there's no need to keep them in prison any longer. They should be freed either into American society since it was the US who imprisoned them on false pretences, taking them away from their homes into a foreign land and should now make recompense for doing so...or repatriated back to their families and loved ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

These people still imprisoned in Guantanamo haven't been found guility of terrorism so strictly speaking there's no need to keep them in prison any longer. They should be freed either into American society since it was the US who imprisoned them on false pretences, taking them away from their homes into a foreign land and should now make recompense for doing so...or repatriated back to their families and loved ones.
    President Roosevelt, the hero of the left, had his detainees executed by firing squad. No screaming about rights for enemy combatants in those days :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

You understand that they would not be released if Guantanamo was closed? They would simply be moved to another prison like Bagrahm and would recieve much less publicity.

Perhaps they were Obamas true intentions?

ReputationRep:
    Western award given away by westerners only aware of western events and looking at the world from western interests to preserve their own incestuous, delusional, immoral, depraved world view should not surprise anybody.

Naturally the award should be given away to westerners or people aligned to western interests, conversant in western languages and culture, customs and mannerisms.

President Roosevelt, the hero of the left, had his detainees executed by firing squad. No screaming about rights for enemy combatants in those days
    Roosevelt was a murderer then, obviously, as were some of his predecessors and successors, left and right.

The fact that someone is picked up because he has a 'Muslim look' about him, and he's 'in the wrong place at the wrong time' makes him an enemy combatant despite no evidence by the detainors? And the outcome following torture to elicit a false confession (false because it's given under extreme duress and to stop the torture) is death?

What a God-less place you portray the USA as...a God-less place full of hypocrites, it seems. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-enthusiast)
    Western award given away by westerners only aware of western events and looking at the world from western interests to preserve their own incestuous, delusional, immoral, depraved world view should not surprise anybody.

Naturally the award should be given away to westerners or people aligned to western interests, conversant in western languages and culture, customs and mannerisms.
    Oh because there are so many candidates out there who are not Western.... name a few. I don't think Obama deserved it, but thinking that some random leader in Africa deserves it for the sake of being African is just stupid.

You understand that they would not be released if Guantanamo was closed? They would simply be moved to another prison like Bagrahm and would recieve much less publicity.

Perhaps they were Obamas true intentions?
    The idea mooted by Obama included some other western countries taking them in and trying them for crimes that have not yet being attributed to them because there's no evidence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081903801.html

Maybe their trials would be fairer, particularly if any so-called confessions were not obtained under duress and torture in countries that did not have a reputation for such actions.

Oh well, that should rule us out then because of our dubious recent past.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to cure Cancer. Can i have the nobel prize for medicine next year? PLEASE?

(Original post by danielf90)
    I intend to cure Cancer. Can i have the nobel prize for medicine next year? PLEASE?
    The requirements of the Nobel award for scientific endeavour are not the same as for the Peace Prize.

The former requires successful application of scientific actions, the latter, actions that will eventually create the right climate for peace.

ReputationRep:
    Yawn, you look foolish defending Obama. He was only in office for about two and half weeks before the Nobel nominations were called in. The deadline was Feb.1st. The award was obviously a political move by Europeans to show how much they disliked Bush. Ironically, they gave it to Obama who is about ready to vamp up the war in Afghanistan!

The man is a cheap opportunist and actually accepted the award! He should've gave it back to the Committee to hand it to someone more deserving.

Obama cannot create the right climate for peace if he is engaged in two wars or one war in two places. They gave the award to Kissinger for successfully negotiating an end to the Vietnam War not wishing to do it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.