Turn on thread page Beta

Americans! - Where did you get in and with what grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)
    lol im surprised at all the interest in Edinburgh here. Almost all the Americans are applying there.
    I've always had a love for Scotland and Edinburgh looks beautiful. I'm thinking about Durham as well as their history program is only 3 years and a bit cheaper as well. The only problem is I feel Durham might be more isolated compared to Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Just received an unconditional offer from Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    - just received an unconditional offer from Edinburgh for PPE.

ReputationRep:
    *hops on bandwagon*

I'm also an American, and got an unconditional offer from them this morning for archaeology and social anthropology. Whee!

ReputationRep:
    I just sent my application in a minute ago. xD

Congratulations to those who got offers! About how long did it take?

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS application off at the end of September, so for Edinburgh, about a month.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's least four or five of us with offers (including me ) Congrats everyone! I got my decision in a little over two weeks btw!

ReputationRep:
    Look at the websites and see what the list for US students - If you can't find the information, write to them. They'll reply because they want your full tuition $$$. You can also look at the UCAS tariff to see which schools are more or less demanding. Here's where I'm applying and here is what you need Minimun:

Aberdeen University (said they were negotiable if you got less when I wrote)
    Edinburgh University
    Glasgow University
    Heriot Watt University
    St Andrew's University

High school diploma plus ONE of the following

SAT >= 1800 (>=1900 for St Andrews)
    ACT >= 27 (>= 28 for St Andrews)
    2 SAT II Subject tests >= 600 (>=650 for Edinburgh)
    2 to 3 AP tests grades 4 or 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissurmojo)
    Look at the websites and see what the list for US students - If you can't find the information, write to them. They'll reply because they want your full tuition $$$. You can also look at the UCAS tariff to see which schools are more or less demanding. Here's where I'm applying and here is what you need Minimun:

Aberdeen University (said they were negotiable if you got less when I wrote)
    Edinburgh University
    Glasgow University
    Heriot Watt University
    St Andrew's University

High school diploma plus ONE of the following

SAT >= 1800 (>=1900 for St Andrews)
    ACT >= 27 (>= 28 for St Andrews)
    2 SAT II Subject tests >= 600 (>=650 for Edinburgh)
    2 to 3 AP tests grades 4 or 5
    See the weird thing is, I got a 2070 on my SATs, 33 on my ACTs, 750 on Math II and Math I and 700 on my English SAT IIs, and 1 AP Grade at 4.

I'm taking 3 AP Grades this year.

But I still got a conditional offer from both schools that have replied?

I'm getting the feeling that Scottish schools seem more understanding of American qualifications / less arduous. >.<

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. But that's because the Scottish degree structure is closer to the American degree structure than the English. I read in the Edinburgh prospectus that as long as you meet the minimum qualifications, you're likely to get an offer so I have my fingers crossed. My SAT Literature score was really bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmyish)
    My SAT Literature score was really bad.
    This might vary, but if a university wants 2 SAT IIs at a certain score, and you take 3, and one falls below the minimum, they'll just disregard it, right? That happened to me and I did the automatic score sending thing, so they'll get my bad score. Hopefully it's fine.. ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    This might vary, but if a university wants 2 SAT IIs at a certain score, and you take 3, and one falls below the minimum, they'll just disregard it, right? That happened to me and I did the automatic score sending thing, so they'll get my bad score. Hopefully it's fine.. ><
    I'm sure it's fine since your other two are okay, and you'll be paying overseas tuition :p:

ReputationRep:
    I now have replies and conditional offers from all five of my universities. (I decided not to withdraw my applications from Leeds and Birmingham).

So now I have to decide which to put as my firm and which my insurance.

Probably looking at one of these three combinations:

Firm: Bristol
    Insurance: Leicester

Firm: Birmingham

Firm: Leicester
    Insurance: Brunel

Basically, the final decision will be based on whether I let my heart rule my head, because I miss my home city (Leicester) so much. However I need to decide whether I'm willing to let a possible place at Bristol go, just so I can be back in Leicester or (in the case of Birmingham) be nearer to Leicester.

Decisions, decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the offers! I'm sure you'll end up making the decision that's best for you, but those are all good universities, so you can't go wrong! On a side note, I just got a conditional offer from Durham earlier today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I now have replies and conditional offers from all five of my universities. (I decided not to withdraw my applications from Leeds and Birmingham).

So now I have to decide which to put as my firm and which my insurance.

Probably looking at one of these three combinations:

Firm: Bristol

Firm: Birmingham

Firm: Leicester
    Insurance: Brunel

Basically, the final decision will be based on whether I let my heart rule my head, because I miss my home city (Leicester) so much. However I need to decide whether I'm willing to let a possible place at Bristol go, just so I can be back in Leicester or (in the case of Birmingham) be nearer to Leicester.

Decisions, decisions.
    Go where your heart wants. You'll be happier there. Remember an education is just an education, it's not a definite correlation to happiness.

Your heart tugging you towards home is your inner self letting you know where it'll be happy. And isn't that what we all really want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    Go where your heart wants. You'll be happier there. Remember an education is just an education, it's not a definite correlation to happiness.

Your heart tugging you towards home is your inner self letting you know where it'll be happy. And isn't that what we all really want?
    Yes that's very true and very good advice.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (:

Gah, I'm so terrified.

It's been 2 months, and I still haven't heard from Bath.

Granted, their department I've applied into only just started doing offers, but..
    x.x

-Want-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    (:

Gah, I'm so terrified.

It's been 2 months, and I still haven't heard from Bath.

Granted, their department I've applied into only just started doing offers, but..
    x.x

-Want-
    Argh, that must be awful. I've only applied to Edinburgh three days ago and already am checking Track twice a day. =/ Good luck for when you do hear from them though : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    Argh, that must be awful. I've only applied to Edinburgh three days ago and already am checking Track twice a day. =/ Good luck for when you do hear from them though : )
    Rrrf, thanks.

It's not as if I'm expecting a rejection, as I am an international student and they do get large amounts of money from me.

That, and I was predicted 555...

I dunno. It's just strange to have waited so long. x3

Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I think I killed the thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.