Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    If you think the British Empire was anything remotely like the Japanese Empire you are a ******* moron and basically no historian would agree with you.
    Im as much British as you. But I wasnt comparing the Japanase Empire to the British Empire, but the british empire did some nasty things to obtain control over its conquered lands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaz25)
    I didn't say that. I said 'live with Islam' as in accept that it IS a part of society and you cannot destroy as it has lasted 1400 years and will be likely to last till the very last days of existence.

Many Muslims are open to dialogue and Islam actually encourages dialogue with the none Muslims.

As for the criticism. Defending Islam against criticism is a way of showing belief/faith. Something which the Christians haven't been able to do so therefore losing their faith. Obviously violent reaction to criticism is stupidity. As firstly violence is prohibited in Islam and secondly violence is not effective. The reaction to criticism should be a knowledgeable and thoughtful reaction that explains the beliefs of Islam in a way which can be accepted.
    The rapid rate at which Christianity is losing steam (in Europe that is, while it grows at rapid paces in the rest of the world) is not about Christians lacking an ability to defend their faith. The average Muslim is no better at it than the average Christian. The difference is the history - Christianity has had to endure a lot more blows than Islam has, and those blows have continuously caused a decrease in faith. If Christianity and Islam were to trade places historically, Islam would be the one on the decline.

(Original post by Bishamon)
    Nah I think I'll pass, but I'm sure you'll find plenty at 4chan willing to.
    Oh, I was hoping they would finally start to take notice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Sorry but what are you talking about?
    Sorry my friend, tryin' to kill a troll. Stand back, innocent bystanders could get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I never said Burma favoured the British, and although I didn't know that Burma seperated from India in 1935, it doesn't really moot the point.
    I was simply alluding to the point that the Burmese welcomed the Japanese.

Whatever you think Britain did, it did not go around randomly killing and raping hundreds of thousands of people.
    Unlike the British Empire, the Japanese Empire, it's officer, Military officials and political leaders were convicted of war crimes by the Tokyo Tribunal, no such measure was taken up the British. And by numbers alone, the British killed much, much more.

The British Firestorm Air raids killed up to 150,000 people in Germany, and after its control of North West Germany post WW2 the German women were basically sex slaves.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry my friend, tryin' to kill a troll. Stand back, innocent bystanders could get hurt.
    K then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Unlike the British Empire, the Japanese Empire, it's officer, Military officials and political leaders were convicted of war crimes by the Tokyo Tribunal, no such measure was taken up the British. And by numbers alone, the British killed much, much more.

The British Firestorm Air raids killed up to 150,000 people in Germany, and after its control of North West Germany post WW2 the German women were basically sex slaves.
    You think that in any period of modern history the British killed 7-16 million people in 8 years? You think that they had anything resembling a system of systematic and routine murder based on ethnicity? You are a mentalist. I have nothing more to add to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    The rapid rate at which Christianity is losing steam (in Europe that is, while it grows at rapid paces in the rest of the world) is not about Christians lacking an ability to defend their faith. The average Muslim is no better at it than the average Christian. The difference is the history - Christianity has had to endure a lot more blows than Islam has, and those blows have continuously caused a decrease in faith. If Christianity and Islam were to trade places historically, Islam would be the one on the decline.
    What are the blows that caused a decrease in the followers of Christianity?

That is your opinion, can you prove it. In order for anyone to accept it you need to do alot more than just say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    What are the blows that caused a decrease in the followers of Christianity?

That is your opinion, can you prove it. In order for anyone to accept it you need to do alot more than just say so.
    Have you heard of such events as the Great Schism? The Reformation? The Enlightenment? The whole emergence of the evolutionary theory?

(Original post by Diaz89)
    I was simply alluding to the point that the Burmese welcomed the Japanese.

Do you think the British Empire ever managed to kill 20 million people over a 12 year period?

And sex slaves? What?

I'll be totally honest with you, I'm not a troll. I more or less was losing interest in that particular string of posts because Diaz brought the thread entirely off-topic, resulting in apathetic posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    In order for anyone to accept it you need to do alot more than just say so.
    :rofl:

In a thread on Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLACK N WHITE)
    can u bother urself and provide facts to support this,all i see is lies and twisting of information especially the last 2 paragraphs ?????
    The "facts" are within the article. Violence and conflict (amongst intolerance, fear, oppression and hatred) is synonymous with a growth in Islam.

I really don't understand how people can claim Islam is peaceful after knowing stuff like this. No decent person should defend medieval barbarity such as this. And the fact is, barbarity sums up the majority of countries in which the majority population is Muslim. Shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Hitler was brought up a Roman Catholic in Roman Catholic Austria (Catholics aren't Protestants). He ended up disliking Christianity and it's links to Judaism and became a bizarre neo-pagan.

Interestingly enough to this discussion he said this about Islam.

"The Mohammedan religion too would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?"

"the new Koran of faith and war: turgid, verbose, shapeless, but pregnant with its message."

Winston Churchill on Mein Kampf...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    The "facts" are within the article. Violence and conflict (amongst intolerance, fear, oppression and hatred) is synonymous with a growth in Islam.
    Many people don't practise Islam properly, fully, wholly, correctly. Even in the East. If you don't believe me, travel there. You will learn Islam and what Muslims are. You'll find out the difference.

I really don't understand how people can claim Islam is peaceful after knowing stuff like this. No decent person should defend medieval barbarity such as this. And the fact is, barbarity sums up the majority of countries in which the majority population is Muslim. Shame.
    Stuff like...people going against their religion.

The people are not following Islam. They are behaving like idiots.

All the peopel doing this crazy stuff. Ask them, do you pray, 5 times a day? Most of them will say NO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Many people don't practise Islam properly, fully, wholly, correctly. Even in the East. If you don't believe me, travel there. You will learn Islam and what Muslims are. You'll find out the difference.
    You truly believe your interpretation of Islam means that those who don't match your (?) vaguely moderate interpretations aren't real Muslims? Regardless of what you believe, they are Muslims and so follow Islam. You can't write this off by saying "well, they aren't following Islam properly". I really do wish more people were like you and believed that this kinda stuff isn't Islam (and thus don't do it) but the fact is, it is. And it's worrying.
    Stuff like...people going against their religion.
    No. Oppression is synonymous with Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    The distinction between moderate and extreme makes no sense. It's what you the Non Muslim decides on. A Non Muslim might not like something or understand it and you might hear the term extremist. Then there is the promotion of moderate Islam, what is moderate Islam? Is it a non practising Muslim?

In the East there is conflict, there is poverty, there is chaos and anger and a lack of religious knowledge.

Muslims are supposed to be peaceful but we also have the right to defend ourselves and fight oppression and injustice. Every Muslim wants peace but sometimes you have to fight for peace because the people of evil are fighting to make evil prevail. You can't rid the world of evil without engaging with it. They're using planes and bombs and what should we use, letters to our MPs, fundraising, posters and petitions. The media and press want to label Muslims and any threat as violent or extreme, (maybe invent a few words). The way the world is an attempt to make all of us completely useless.

On September 11, 2001, 19 muslim men killed thousands of people in the name of their faith.

Yes, they can be classed as extremists.

The real problem was the footage of ordinary Palestinian citizens - like you or me, who never knew the victims or their families - dancing on the streets. In the name of religion.

I am Christian, and I come from an African country where, when offensive cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammed , dozens of churches were burnt down in the north, where the population is majority muslim.

Recently a support for the Taliban was declared in the north, and more churches were burnt down/innocent people killed. Spontaneously, overnight.

Of course in the past, Christians have done their fair share of senseless violence in the name of "religion" - the crusades, the reasoning behind the slave trade. But we arent talking about the past; we are dealing with the present, and I think the central message of this thread is that too many crimes are being committed in the name of Islam. I do not know if the Qu'ran supports this, and a lot of my friends who are muslim are positive that it doesn't.

But what is the principle behind Jihads against the whole western world? Suicide bombers? Stoning women (or men) for adultery? If it isnt in the Qu'ran then where do these people get their motivation from?

Eek this is long. But ive wanted to get this out for so long I think my hands are shaking a little..lol

ReputationRep:
    You think that in any period of modern history the British killed 7-16 million people in 8 years? You think that they had anything resembling a system of systematic and routine murder based on ethnicity? You are a mentalist. I have nothing more to add to this thread.
    Yes, as I showed you before in Late Victorian Holocausts, during the end of the 19th century as matter of fact in 24 years, Britain was responsible for the deaths of between 30-60 Million people in China, Brazil and India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

Many of these countries have had a history of nomadic behaviours and tribal rule, the adoption of islam actually provided an air of stability and civility in many of the nations you allude to. And your supposed to be a prospective literature student :rolleyes:

Its a shame that even information savvy students have become so prone to media based scare mongering and ignorance. Whilst I dont agree with many of the islamic teaching and doctrines I do understand that barbarism and oppression is mainstay of the human condition. I can name a few countries not governed by islamic law where human rights is lax and oppressive governance is a way of life. The conflicts in the islamic regions has as much to do with struggling for minimal resources and influence as it does secularism.

TBH I am appalled that fellow atheists, who claim to be free of all religious "brainwashing" have become so casually naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I found this on another forum and thought it was interesting. Inevitably, people will write this thread off as an Islamaphobic thread, so I'll just state that I don't care about the percentage of Muslims in Britain unless their beliefs impinge upon my rights (which, if I were living in an Islamic state, they would).

Thoughts?

Percentages source: CIA: The World Fact Book (2007).

all of those countries at 10% muslim population or above have been that way for hundreds of years, so if this is an anti-islamic immigration thread then it's fail

ReputationRep:
    Many of these countries have had a history of nomadic behaviours and tribal rule, the adoption of islam actually provided an air of stability and civility in many of the nations you allude to. And your supposed to be a prospective literature student :rolleyes:

Its a shame that even information savvy students have become so prone to media based scare mongering and ignorance. Whilst I dont agree with many of the islamic teaching and doctrines I do understand that barbarism and oppression is mainstay of the human condition. I can name a few countries not governed by islamic law where human rights is lax and oppressive governance is a way of life. The conflicts in the islamic regions has as much to do with struggling for minimal resources and influence as it does secularism.

TBH I am appalled that fellow atheists, who claim to be free of all religious "brainwashing" have become so casually naive.
    You really should take your head out of your politically correct arse. Militant Islam prevents such states from becoming stable and civilised, or did you fail to see the connection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    all of those countries at 10% muslim population or above have been that way for hundreds of years, so if this is an anti-islamic immigration thread then it's fail
    lol. Perhaps you should read my comments before the article I posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbrowneyes)
    On September 11, 2001, 19 muslim men killed thousands of people in the name of their faith.

Yes, they can be classed as extremists.

The real problem was the footage of ordinary Palestinian citizens - like you or me, who never knew the victims or their families - dancing on the streets. In the name of religion.

I am Christian, and I come from an African country where, when offensive cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammed , dozens of churches were burnt down in the north, where the population is majority muslim.

Recently a support for the Taliban was declared in the north, and more churches were burnt down/innocent people killed. Spontaneously, overnight.

Of course in the past, Christians have done their fair share of senseless violence in the name of "religion" - the crusades, the reasoning behind the slave trade. But we arent talking about the past; we are dealing with the present, and I think the central message of this thread is that too many crimes are being committed in the name of Islam. I do not know if the Qu'ran supports this, and a lot of my friends who are muslim are positive that it doesn't.

But what is the principle behind Jihads against the whole western world? Suicide bombers? Stoning women (or men) for adultery? If it isnt in the Qu'ran then where do these people get their motivation from?

Eek this is long. But ive wanted to get this out for so long I think my hands are shaking a little..lol
    O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done. (49:6)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.