Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I often preferred boys' toys as a kid, but I always got frickin' Barbies when I really wanted Stretch Armstrong and his red arch enemy whose name I have forgotten. Maybe if there weren't gender divisions I would have got cool toys instead of ones that led towards games of "how many different ways can we dress up Sindy?" when played with most of my friends.

P.S. I currently live in Sweden and it is awesome :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Enforcing such gender when young has its effects on men too -

not encouraged to do household playthings - useless and burdens for housemates at uni and later relationships (a house slump in a modern world where both sexes have to work)

not encouraged to play with sociable themes - boyfriend/ girlfriend barbie, 'going to the shops'. A lot of men becoming aspergic- like when it comes to every day social things, in a social world women are better prepared for.

not enrouraged to play light- heartedly with stories - i didn't play with barbies to do hair/ make up, I used to involve them in stories. Arguably why girls develop a better imagination.

Boys toys restrict them - it's all action action action which isn't relative to the world they live in. Why men often feel out of place in life unless they're in a board room :yes:

But nooo gender stereotyping from this age is fine. HOW DARE they suggest it's even the tiniest bit wrong.

I dunno why you're getting angry. I completely think early indoctrination is terrible and that a lack of forced stereotypes is no bad thing. Wouldn't it be amazing if people grew up their own way without any intervention?

too scawy for right wingers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peanut42)
    I don't think they were criticising them for selling the toys, rather the way they were marketed, i.e. only showing girls playing with dolls and only showing boys playing with cars. I'm not saying the majority of boys will want to play with dolls, but the way it is marketed mean they are deliberately put off choosing to play with 'girly' toys.
    I agree, they were criticising Toys R Us for marketing their product in the way which people tend to use them.
    If Boys hitherto have predominantly played with a toy, it is not wrong (in fact, it makes complete and utter sense in all forms of the phrase) that the toy should be marketed freflected the reality as it is. And the same for girls.

I can't stand people who believe in complete and utter gender equality. I believe that males and females have the same worth, and are equally important, but by God they are not the same, and never should be considered as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    I agree, they were criticising Toys R Us for marketing their product in the way which people tend to use them.
    If Boys hitherto have predominantly played with a toy, it is not wrong (in fact, it makes complete and utter sense in all forms of the phrase) that the toy should be marketed freflected the reality as it is. And the same for girls.

I can't stand people who believe in complete and utter gender equality. I believe that males and females have the same worth, and are equally important, but by God they are not the same, and never should be considered as such.
    If you're angry about it you've probably got your testicles in a twist. I prefer to be feminine but don't give a **** if a born female acts in every way the opposite to me.

I hate people who poke their nose into other people's life decisions - when they don't agree with what they're doing because it's not normal or cool or traditional. I think they need a big bug removed from their ass. The people who get stupidly political with this bullying are what we call right wing.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/05/wor...hisSpeed=15000

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/cit...hisspeed=25000

:dontknow: If they're happy...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Sweden ranks 5th in the Economist Magazine's 2005 Quality-of-Life index.
    Its suicide rate is close to that of the US's.
    For men the numbers for sweden are a tiny bit higher, but they have nearly double the number of female suicides we do. Anyway, the post I was replying to was comparing Britain and Sweden, not USA and Sweden, and Sweden has a far higher suicide rate than Britain.

ReputationRep:

:eek: :eek3:
    :mmm: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melissa0000)
    If you're angry about it you've probably got your testicles in a twist. I prefer to be feminine but don't give a **** if a born female acts in every way the opposite to me.

I hate people who poke their nose into other people's life decisions - when they don't agree with what they're doing because it's not normal or cool or traditional. I think they need a big bug removed from their ass. The people who get stupidly political with this bullying are what we call right wing.
    See, this is the problem I have.
    I don't care if boys wan't to play with what have previously been toys played by girls. But I don't see why business should have to change their marketing just because a few people want to do something different.
    And then suddenly, everyone becomes agree like you, and have a go at everyone who doesn't want to change marketing. You're the one sticking your nose into everyone else's business.

As far as the broad question is concerned about whether we should stop marketing boys as doing one thing and girls doing another.
    Boys and girls are of equal worth. They're not the same. And they never will be. Stop pretending overwise.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if boys wan't to play with what have previously been toys played by girls. But I don't see why business should have to change their marketing just because a few people want to do something different.
    And then suddenly, everyone becomes agree like you, and have a go at everyone who doesn't want to change marketing. You're the one sticking your nose into everyone else's business.

As far as the broad question is concerned about whether we should stop marketing boys as doing one thing and girls doing another.
    Boys and girls are equal. They're not the same. And they never will be. Stop pretending overwise.
    How can they be equal if they are not the same? Logically two things can't be equal if they are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    How can they be equal if they are not the same? Logically two things can't be equal if they are the same.
    Boys and girls are equal in terms of rights but to label the two as equal in biological function is wrong. This is the issue when people say the two are "equal", the way in which it us used is incorrect. It is impossible to weigh up sex characteristics and decide which one is greater, men are physically more gifted yet live shorter and are unable to bare children. Which one is more important? I definitely can't decide myself. This is probably why they are labelled as equal so often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLandOfNorwegia)
    Boys and girls are equal in terms of rights but to label the two as equal in biological function is wrong. This is the issue when people say the two are "equal", the way in which it us used is incorrect. It is impossible to weigh up sex characteristics and decide which one is greater, men are physically more gifted yet live shorter and are unable to bare children. Which one is more important? I definitely can't decide myself. This is probably why they are labelled as equal so often.
    Well they aren't de jure equal ethier as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Missed two words... I meant they are "of equal worth".

ReputationRep:

Boys and girls are of equal worth. They're not the same. And they never will be. Stop pretending overwise.
    Again you're getting angry. Care to be a bit introspective as to why this is?

In the bigger picture nothing matters. Who are you to bully a group of people trying to enjoy what others can because of mere genitals/ lack of hips?

What gets you angry about people trying to break the norm? Why try to keep things stereotyped, if there's lots of evidence to suggest a lot of the stereotyping doesn't reflect nature? - That stereotyping can be dangerous. Where do people like you get off on restricting people? You poke your nose in, meaning nice people like me have to poke ours in.

It's people like you who get angry over your politics - because your ideas on politics come from a feeling of superiority. You're not indignant like me, just privilege hungry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    And there you have hit the nail on the head. We are moving too far away from nature. It means that natural roles are being abandonned and we are losing our way.
    Let's go back to being apes

Why is progress such a bad thing? Should we forego scientific advances for fear of getting 'lost'? Or just the advances which meant blacks, women and gays gained equality?

ReputationRep:
    Let's go back to being apes

Why is progress such a bad thing? Should we forego scientific advances for fear of getting 'lost'? Or just the advances which meant blacks, women and gays gained equality?
    Yes, but who says it progress. All progress has given us so far is an increase in divorse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Yes, but who says it progress. All progress has given us so far is an increase in divorse.
    what do you mean by 'it'? women gaining equality? Interesting you picked that, and don't have a problem getting 'lost' with all other progress.

No one wants to stay in a love- less marriage. In terms of nature, most animals bar penguins, have kids, then go their own ways, live their own lives. So i'd call this rising rate of divorce a return to the basics you keep harping on about.

ReputationRep:
    Again you're getting angry. Care to be a bit introspective as to why this is?

In the bigger picture nothing matters. Who are you to bully a group of people trying to enjoy what others can because of mere genitals/ lack of hips?

What gets you angry about people trying to break the norm? Why try to keep things stereotyped, if there's lots of evidence to suggest a lot of the stereotyping doesn't reflect nature? - That stereotyping can be dangerous. Where do people like you get off on restricting people? You poke your nose in, meaning nice people like me have to poke ours in.

It's people like you who get angry over your politics - because your ideas on politics come from a feeling of superiority. You're not indignant like me, just privilege hungry.
    Still confused how you can even argue any of this.

If a company markets a type of toy to boys because of the fact that hitherto they have been the peopel to predominantly play with them, then that is not stereotyping, that is called selling.

If you were to market the toy otherwise would be bringing your own politics into business, which I think we can all agree isn't necessary.

And, let's be honest, we're not the same in anyway. We perform differently mentally as well as physically. As in, in some school subjects girls out perform boys, and vice versa in others.
    It is impossible to say that we are the same.
    If not, then yeah, we should abolish different sex sports and mix everyone together (for example).

I'm sorry, but they're isn't any other way to say it other than that men and women are different and it isn't wrong to portray them as such.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if girls and boys are so naturally different then having the 'gender neutral' toy shop won't affect their choices anyway (I think I read somewhere that boys and girls tend to pick different toys from a box in a room, but not sure whether that's because they've already been 'conditioned' or not). As the article says it will just make it easier for kids to persuade their parents to buy toys not usually meant for boys or girls, whichever the case.

Still, the government influencing these decisions seems rather odd. The market would probably change naturally anyway (I think parents are being less gender strict with their kids, especially with girls) so seems a bit heavy handed.

Also, I didn't like the way it described the girls toys as 'passive' and implying this sort of play is inferior some how. There's really nothing wrong with some gentle relaxing play.

ReputationRep:
    This is ******* horrible, i would not want to live in norway/sweeden despite the country and people being so nice cause all the men grow up brainwashed and feminised. My god ergh!!

God save Sweeden!

ReputationRep:
    Swedish girls are way more feminine than British girls. I dont get it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.