Turn on thread page Beta

Those applying for Speech Sciences / Speech and Language Therapy / SLT for 2010 Entry watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannec123)
    Okay this is my first time using this so my apologies if I reply to the wrong bit! I'm waiting for any offers for language and speech therapy too! Sending of my mmu questionnaire tomorrow, already sent my reading one off! I'm seriously stressing as I haven't had a reply, I really want reading as my first choice. Have a lot of people been getting offers from the universities?
    I have an interview on the 15th for UEA, any interview tips lol? My oh my, stressful times!
    I sent my questionnaire back about 2 weeks ago and got an offer about 2 days ago from them, so they may take around that time to get back to you with hoipefully an offer!

I have 2 offers, reading and machester[not the met so cant give any advice there sorry!] and I have two interviews

question for everyone: anyone have an interview at sheffield on the 8th or UCL on the 2nd of december? I would love to see you guys there!

ReputationRep:
    Where are you applying?
    Newcastle, Mancheter, UEA, Leeds Met, DMU
    What grades do you need?
    ABB/BBC
    What subjects do you do?
    Biology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Media (AS)
    Have you sent off your UCAS?
    Yes - scary!!
    Did you get much work experience?
    Volunteering at a local First School with children who have learning difficulties
    Volunteering with the Stroke Association
    Meeting with the Local Speech and Language Therapist
    Sitting in on sessions with the therapist and my Uncle

My first choice would be Newcastle but the requirements are one grade higher than i'm predicted! UEA and Leeds Met are my second choices though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09Rachel)
    Where are you applying?
    Newcastle, Mancheter, UEA, Leeds Met, DMU
    What grades do you need?
    ABB/BBC
    What subjects do you do?
    Biology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Media (AS)
    Have you sent off your UCAS?
    Yes - scary!!
    Did you get much work experience?
    Volunteering at a local First School with children who have learning difficulties
    Volunteering with the Stroke Association
    Meeting with the Local Speech and Language Therapist
    Sitting in on sessions with the therapist and my Uncle

My first choice would be Newcastle but the requirements are one grade higher than i'm predicted! UEA and Leeds Met are my second choices though!
    Welcome! Have you had any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kavskebabs)
    really oh my!! that is long- well at least jan exams will be over!
    erm... i have been trying to call the secretary man at UEA but he wont pick up and hasnt rang me back yet- i called over the w/e and on monday.. when did you call him and how long did he take to reply? x
    I've already done my A levels so its a bit of a bummer for me I rang him about 200 times on Monday and he didn't pick up, but I tried again on Tuesday and got through first time, so maybe he's just busy?

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take people to start getting interviews etc.. ?
    I applied about 2 weeks ago, how long does it normally take to hear more of them than 'we have recieved your application'.. aa I shouldn't come on here it makes me more worried x

ReputationRep:
    It took around a month for me to hear back with offers, about a week with questionnaires etc

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thankyou hopefully I'll start hearing things soonish then. I don't think any of my options have questionnaires, sort of wish they did though, don't know how good I'll be at an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Welcome! Have you had any offers yet?

Thankyou and I have had an offer from DMU and I've been invited to an interview at UEA on 14th December

ReputationRep:
    I am quite jealous. I'd like an interview, but the uni I've applied to only does questionnaires.

ReputationRep:
    I've been invited to an interview at UEA on 14th December
    thats when my interview is aswell! i'll see you then!! i'm starting to get really scared about it all now! when was your application sent off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumpling)

I've already done my A levels so its a bit of a bummer for me I rang him about 200 times on Monday and he didn't pick up, but I tried again on Tuesday and got through first time, so maybe he's just busy?

he called back my interviews on 8th feb so ill see you there

ReputationRep:
    i wish i coulda gone on the 14th it would be cool to meet all you guys shame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee111191)
    thats when my interview is aswell! i'll see you then!! i'm starting to get really scared about it all now! when was your application sent off?
    yeah! and me - they said on the letter it could be up to 30 minutes and I have no idea what i'm going to say for that long!

my application was sent off at the beginning of November, what about yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by these things take time)
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for a Speech Sciences course. Averagely/generally how often and how long are students at seminars/lectures/placements. Is it more like an Arts degree or a Medicine degree (9-5, 5 days a week) in terms of how often students will be in?
    Thanks.
    Well, it depends on which uni you eventually go to, as to many contact hours you have. Some unis you have 9-6, others 9-5, and the uni I'm applying to (UCP Marjon) is alternately 9-4 and 9:30-4:30. The only thing I've found that's common with all SLT courses is that in the average week you have one day off, although the day of the week you have off could change as you progress to Year 2, 3 (and 4). Of course, this doesn't include independent study.

Hope that answers your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by these things take time)
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for a Speech Sciences course. Averagely/generally how often and how long are students at seminars/lectures/placements. Is it more like an Arts degree or a Medicine degree (9-5, 5 days a week) in terms of how often students will be in?
    Thanks.
    every single uni i visit said that it was a very intensive course, and you are there for most days 9-5, and usually you have longer terms and shorter holidays than most students!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee111191)
    every single uni i visit said that it was a very intensive course, and you are there for most days 9-5, and usually you have longer terms and shorter holidays than most students!!
    The course I'm applying for goes from (approx.) 20th September to 20th July. Really long! So that's only 2 months for the summer, when some courses get 3 + months.

ReputationRep:
    yeah! and me - they said on the letter it could be up to 30 minutes and I have no idea what i'm going to say for that long!

my application was sent off at the beginning of November, what about yours?

my sister's friend did SLT at UEA and she said her interview was really relaxed so i just hope it's the same for me!

mine was sent off on the 6th and i still haven't heard from DMU so am starting to get really worried now that i've been rejected

ReputationRep:
    do you guys ever worry your not going to be able to cope with how intense the course is? its been playing on my mind lately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanzapan)
    do you guys ever worry your not going to be able to cope with how intense the course is? its been playing on my mind lately
    Me too! My friend is studying where I applied to, and she's always doing assignments and essays and revising for class tests! I think it's I'm lucky enough to get in though, I'll put in sooo much effort because I've wanted to be a SALT for so long.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it will be worth it when you get the rewarding job in the end, and it will be interesting

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2010

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.