Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Then what? Must be the diabeetus? :rolleyes:
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    maybe you'd just eaten? it needs to be done over a period of time to get a good idea, plus other tests aswell, BM's dont say much, plus can be rather unreliable if done wrong (recent research shows many GP's are doing them wrong, although im sure renal will defend this!)
    Lots of people do them wrong (or do them right but don't understand the indications or limitations of the test).

I would suggest that hossie doctors are probably more of a liability because they play with the kit so rarely that they're not familiar with the different models on different wards in different hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    Yeah.
    :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Lots of people do them wrong (or do them right but don't understand the indications or limitations of the test).

oh god yeah, i agree- imo they shouldn't let HCA's do BM's, many RN's i know feel uncomfortable with HCA's doing them etc, not knowing the understanding of what they're doing, whats normal/abnormal and failing to inform the nurses, but it is just one of those tests that can easily be done wrong tho, one slip

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

lol a diabetes diagnosis isn't that simple i'm afraid, patients usually have to wait around 2/3 weeks to get a final diagnosis, with urine tests, blood tests, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    :nope:
    So even if someone's blood sugar is say, 30, they're not necessarily diabetic? What else could it be? Assuming there was nothing wrong with the meter?

ReputationRep:
    So even if someone's blood sugar is say, 30, they're not necessarily diabetic? What else could it be? Assuming there was nothing wrong with the meter?
    Lucozade. Try it and see.

(There are also a couple of other, significantly rarer, metabolic conditions that can alter blood glucose to that level)

However, as you seem to have forgotten, diagnosing is only half the battle. Tomorrow, if I get presented with a putner with a BM of 30 would you mock me if I looked up the management on the 'puter and in the book, or would you rather I trusted my memory and just go busy with the actrapid?

ReputationRep:
    meh, well, if a glucose reading was abnormal, as a nurse- and bare in mind im a student, I'd do it again in an hour, put the patient on a food chart, and ask them when the last time they ate (and what) ask about any other symptoms, refer to their MUST score, and take a urine sample off him, whilst referring to my nurse in charge and keeping an eye on the chap with a full set of obs hourly, it'd be a concern, sure but no diagnosis will be made

Oh and pop them on a fluid balance chart and give hydration health promotion, if there is something abnormal with his diet, also give health promotion on this

probably a load of crap mind!

ooo and if it was still abnormal over the day, go and botherthe doctors and let them deal with it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Lucozade. Try it and see.

(There are also a couple of other, significantly rarer, metabolic conditions that can alter blood glucose to that level)

However, as you seem to have forgotten, diagnosing is only half the battle. Tomorrow, if I get presented with a putner with a BM of 30 would you mock me if I looked up the management on the 'puter and in the book, or would you rather I trusted my memory and just go busy with the actrapid?
    There is no way someone's blood sugar would go up to 30 after drinking lucozade if they weren't diabetic. My mum had a test once with the lucozade and hers went up to 12, they said that was "on the high side of normal"??

But yeah, I guess it depends on the circumstances but I was really referring to a child. Or teenager. With severe/obvious symptoms.

And the Google thing, it was only funny because it was Google... I would never judge a doctor for checking what to do.

ReputationRep:
    And the Google thing, it was only funny because it was Google... I would never judge a doctor for checking what to do.
    You just ******* did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    You just ******* did.
    Yeah, true

But like I said, it was just because it was Google. But I guess he was just trying to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a total of 4 GPs in total not being able to diagnose a torn ACL (knee ligament) and fobbing me off (i.e some though it was a joint problem but wouldn't offer me anymore help than to rest it).

I eventually saw a physio privatley who sorted me out

So yes, Drs may not be able to spot everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justasmalltowngirl)
    No I meant to mean it was a student doctor who was right which contrasts the common thinking out Ill trained new doctors and that doctors are gettiing worse . As for my dad I don't blame the doctors they didn't make him ill and they do help a lot now . But in future I'd say. Trust urself not the gp
    I'm not sure it is common thinking, at the end of the day (i hate that saying but...) they are being trained in new practises and ideas where as the older drs are not. Not sure its that surprising at all. On my ward im just as likely to listen to the F1s as i am the consultants for those reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I'm not sure it is common thinking, at the end of the day (i hate that saying but...) they are being trained in new practises and ideas where as the older drs are not. Not sure its that surprising at all. On my ward im just as likely to listen to the F1s as i am the consultants for those reasons.
    :yes: alot of the F1's or even medics are in some circumstances better trained than some of the consultants as they have the up to date knowledge and information.... and if they dont know/ remember it, im sure the nurse will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    :yes: alot of the F1's or even medics are in some circumstances better trained than some of the consultants as they have the up to date knowledge and information.... and if they dont know/ remember it, im sure the nurse will
    Why would the nurse know? The nurse didn't spend 5 years at uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's an odd one. There are plenty of nurses who know far more than I do, and I'm massively respectful of them and I'm alwaytheys happy to provide an autograph for them. But. There are lots of junior nurses who look at these seniors and think that they are in a position to talk to doctors in the same way (they don't get me to sign until I've reviewed the notes, charts & punter - this annoys them no end).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It's an odd one. There are plenty of nurses who know far more than I do, and I'm massively respectful of them and I'm alwaytheys happy to provide an autograph for them. But. There are lots of junior nurses who look at these seniors and think that they are in a position to talk to doctors in the same way (they don't get me to sign until I've reviewed the notes, charts & punter - this annoys them no end).
    I was being a **** when i wrote that if i'm honest. I just get pissed off with this whole nurses are saving Dr's asses crap that nurse students come out with. Though due to my terrible experience as a nurse student i guess i'm bias.

ReputationRep:
    but they did spend at least 3 ... well anyone who has qualified in the past 15 years did

don't forget that unless the doctor is a career grade doctor s/he is still under training and will not be working in that speciality in that hospital all that long ...

but ho hum never mind the actual truth of real clinical practice we'll just stick to inaccurate stereotypes ...

ReputationRep:
    I had a condition misdiagnosed for 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    but they did spend at least 3 ... well anyone who has qualified in the past 15 years did

don't forget that unless the doctor is a career grade doctor s/he is still under training and will not be working in that speciality in that hospital all that long ...

but ho hum never mind the actual truth of real clinical practice we'll just stick to inaccurate stereotypes ...
    Yeah read a few posts down mate...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.