Ban on EMA/Free bus passes <18 Watch

d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CJ99)
Why do you deserve money because your parents don't have good jobs?
Who said they don't have good jobs? They get paid below £30k, doesn't mean it's not a good job.
Adampolar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hey_its_nay)
Graphics calculator for Further maths
i never had one
katebushfan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Titch89)
You're actually wrong:
- You can only get if it's your first level 2 or 3
- You can only receive if your household income is under 30k for a couple and 19k for a single person
- You can't receive it if you receive certain other benefits.
You're getting very technical though, how many students that are 19 are living by themselves or with someone else? Fair enough if that's what ALG says but I live with my parents who earn 100, 000k plus - and I was eligble for it.

I never said anything about levels, or if you're on benefits either, I said it wasn't based on income, meaning that people who can easily afford to get to college/ buy books, still get £30 a week.

Whats more important aswell is that most people over 18 who are still in education (college) will be between 19 - 22 (at the most) - and most likely living at home.

So yes, however technical you want to get, relating to the thread - it's still silly.
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by katebushfan)
You're getting very technical though, how many students that are 19 are living by themselves or with someone else? Fair enough if that's what ALG says but I live with my parents who earn 100, 000k plus - and I was eligble for it.
It goes on your income; not theirs.
Dnator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The people on EMA who go to the local college can also claim for their bus fares and for a school bag/books/rain coat. This is on top of their EMA money, and is sort of a ******* joke.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
The people on EMA who go to the local college can also claim for their bus fares and for a school bag/books/rain coat. This is on top of their EMA money, and is sort of a ******* joke.
That's ridiculous. When I was doing my NVQ, we could not claim back bus fare to & from school. Because I went somewhere for a work placement, I could claim back bus fare. However, if I'd stayed on at the place near school, I couldn't (rightly) claim it back.
katebushfan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It goes on your income; not theirs.
I know.

That's exactly my point. How many 19/ 20/ 21 year olds in college live by themselves? None that I know that's for sure.
Mitch92uK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good. People want money they should work. Not scrounge.
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good. The government shouldn't be handing out money to teenagers who live with their parents so they can buy **** and sweets anyway; other areas need the money more.
werd123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the EMA system needs reforming, as it doesn't work amazingly well at the moment (a system based upon family income divided by children in higher education would make more sense) but essentially, we should keep it. It benefits alot of families are HUGE amount and people don't realise that (for the record i'm not on EMA), so my opinion is that it shouldn't be scrapped.
saffronFingers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We don't need to worry about free travel - that is NOT David Cameron's territory; only the Mayor, that is, Boris Johnson, can make the main decisions about travel and stuff.
So no, Cameron isn't going to snatch our precious Oyster cards away.
Without my Oyster card, I would be so screwed.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by werd123)
I think the EMA system needs reforming, as it doesn't work amazingly well at the moment (a system based upon family income divided by children in higher education would make more sense) but essentially, we should keep it. It benefits alot of families are HUGE amount and people don't realise that (for the record i'm not on EMA), so my opinion is that it shouldn't be scrapped.
And children in further education need to be counted too.
werd123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And children in further education need to be counted too.

What I mean is like college/vocational courses etc, i'm not quite sure whether its further or higher? But if so then yeah, further
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by werd123)
What I mean is like college/vocational courses etc, i'm not quite sure whether its further or higher? But if so then yeah, further
Vocational courses are further education.
Mr Sparkles
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good I hope it's cut, and poor people can go work down mines where they belong. I mean ffs, why do you need EMA to go to a free college? I get it if you can't afford to go private, but to go to a free school and then complain you can't afford it your parents must have majorly failed at life.
draikzer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're 18+...

You can get a bloody job. Regardless whether you are at college/uni. Why should you get EMA and free busses? Pif.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by draikzer)
If you're 18+...

You can get a bloody job. Regardless whether you are at college/uni. Why should you get EMA and free busses? Pif.
What jobs? 2.5 million people are after 495,000 jobs. And that's just those on JSA.
Rainbows!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Clements-)
LOL. After reading the bit in bold, I assumed you were just taking the piss.
Not really "taking the piss". More sticking up for people who arn't as fortunate as others. Just because some arn't as lucky financially,doesn't mean you can't study further than compulsary education.
Maybe the Tories have had more influence than what i thought....:eek3:
Rainbows!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Libtolu)
I have to pay 20 quid a week bus fare to get to college, i don't get ema and i don't eat lunch because i can't afford it so why should sixth formers who walk to their school get 30 quid a week lunch money, surely ema should just be a bus pass or train pass instead of actually giving them money to burn.
Good point about the bus/train pass but I think some students get free travel anyway?

(Original post by Libtolu)
You shouldn't have to pay people to go into further education they should go into it to study not for 30 quid a week.
Thats a fair point but with an incentive,at least more will apply for higher education courses and that must surely be better than having them sit on their backsides all day long.Also,if they don't use their qualifications for entrance to uni,at least they will be better qualified for a job?
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Where is the story for this please? or is it just people scaremongering?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed