Chemistry Salters F332 june 2010 Watch

hollywoodbudgie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Moe Lester)
Look at the bit of the chain that differs (carbon 3 and 4).

I'm gonna be nice and annotate it for you :p:

You can tell the other two parts are the but-2-ene, 4 carbons in that square-ish arrangement.

Simply count the carbons up in the different square-ish arrangement. As you can see in yellow there are three carbons, thus 3 carbons is pent. It's asking for the monomer of a polymer - so it must be an alkene. So it's pentene!
You are a legend.
master_blaster66
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1) Compare the density of Venus to that of the Earth.
2) Convert 700K into degrees Celcius.
3)
(a) What type of bond fission is shown in Fig 2?
(b) Write an equation for the reaction represented in Fig 2.
(c) Why will visible light not break the O-H bond?
(d) What type of particles are O and H?
(e) Classify the reaction step shown in Fig 2 as initiation, propagation or termination. Explain your answer.
(f) Write the equation for the reaction that occurs when H reacts together. Classify the type of reaction step.
(g) Why does ultraviolet dissociation of water not occur on Earth?
(h) Calculate the frequency of the radiation needed to break the O-H bond given that the bond enthalpy is 464 KJmol^-1; the Avogadro constant is 6.02 * 10^23 mol^-1 and the Plank Constant (h) is 6.63 * 10^-34 Js.
4) A hydrogen isotope can be represented as 1H. How can deuterium be represented?
5) Summarise the evidence that has led scientists to believe that the ultraviolet dissociation of water is the reason that there is no water on Venus.
6) Explain why Venus started off warmer than the Earth and has become even hotter.
7) Explain why Mars started off cooler than the Earth and why it has become even colder.
8) Why is the Earth's temperature "just right"?
9) Give an equation for a reaction that could occur when "CO2 is baked out of rocks".

1. What distinguishes Venus from the rest of the planets? Why is Venus so hot?

2. What is a runaway greenhouse?

3. If the clouds of Venus were perfect reflectors of visible light from the Sun so that no visible light reached Venus' surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

4. If the atmosphere of Venus trapped all of the infrared light from the surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

5. How does the ultraviolet-water interaction explain why Venus is so dry? How is the same process prevented on the Earth?

6. If Mars' atmosphere is over 90% carbon dioxide like Venus', why does it have such a small greenhouse effect?

7. What atmospheric phenomenon can quickly wipe out any view of Mars' surface from above? What causes this phenomenon?

8. Why does Mars have such a thin atmosphere? What is the runaway refrigerator?

9. How does liquid water remove carbon dioxide gas from an atmosphere?

10. What distinguishes Earth from the rest of the planets? What is so unusual about its atmosphere and what produces this unusual feature?

11. What are the different ways that life removes carbon dioxide from the Earth's atmosphere?

12. Where do coal, oil, and natural gas come from? What happens when they are burned?

13. What is a natural way that most of the carbon dioxide is returned to the atmosphere on Earth?

14.How does plate tectonics regulate the climate of the Earth?

15. What is a non-natural, human activity that returns a lot of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?

16. What are the benefits of the presence of the ozone layer?

17. Is the greenhouse problem on Earth different from the ozone problem? How so?

advanced article probable questions, hope it helps
Saluki-Sake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
Outgassed: the slow release of a gas that was trapped, frozen, absorbed or adsorbed in some material

:bigsmile: google define, it works wonders sometimes

so er it's like the CO2 coming out of the rocks... :girl:
:eek: THANKYOU!!! :gthumb: +rep for you!!!
Moe Lester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You are a legend.
:fan:
c4integrationisgay
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Moe Lester)
Look at the bit of the chain that differs (carbon 3 and 4).

I'm gonna be nice and annotate it for you :p:

You can tell the other two parts are the but-2-ene, 4 carbons in that square-ish arrangement.

Simply count the carbons up in the different square-ish arrangement. As you can see in yellow there are three carbons, thus 3 carbons is pent. It's asking for the monomer of a polymer - so it must be an alkene. So it's pentene!
THANK YOU...

(its propene)
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Saluki-Sake)
:eek: THANKYOU!!! :gthumb: +rep for you!!!
:hugs: aw thank you ^^
but all I did was google define :blush:
student53
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dandan10)
does anyone know what it means by the term ' runaway greenhouse effect' ?
and what is the refiregeration effect ?

I m really worried about the exam now because my teacher didnt go through the pre release material with us at all.

same...can't believe it, is tomorrow!!!:woo:
Moe Lester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by c4integrationisgay)
THANK YOU...

(its propene)
dats what I meant

All these p's
student53
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pakizrulez)
1) Compare the density of Venus to that of the Earth.
2) Convert 700K into degrees Celcius.
3)
(a) What type of bond fission is shown in Fig 2?
(b) Write an equation for the reaction represented in Fig 2.
(c) Why will visible light not break the O-H bond?
(d) What type of particles are O and H?
(e) Classify the reaction step shown in Fig 2 as initiation, propagation or termination. Explain your answer.
(f) Write the equation for the reaction that occurs when H reacts together. Classify the type of reaction step.
(g) Why does ultraviolet dissociation of water not occur on Earth?
(h) Calculate the frequency of the radiation needed to break the O-H bond given that the bond enthalpy is 464 KJmol^-1; the Avogadro constant is 6.02 * 10^23 mol^-1 and the Plank Constant (h) is 6.63 * 10^-34 Js.
4) A hydrogen isotope can be represented as 1H. How can deuterium be represented?
5) Summarise the evidence that has led scientists to believe that the ultraviolet dissociation of water is the reason that there is no water on Venus.
6) Explain why Venus started off warmer than the Earth and has become even hotter.
7) Explain why Mars started off cooler than the Earth and why it has become even colder.
8) Why is the Earth's temperature "just right"?
9) Give an equation for a reaction that could occur when "CO2 is baked out of rocks".

1. What distinguishes Venus from the rest of the planets? Why is Venus so hot?

2. What is a runaway greenhouse?

3. If the clouds of Venus were perfect reflectors of visible light from the Sun so that no visible light reached Venus' surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

4. If the atmosphere of Venus trapped all of the infrared light from the surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

5. How does the ultraviolet-water interaction explain why Venus is so dry? How is the same process prevented on the Earth?

6. If Mars' atmosphere is over 90% carbon dioxide like Venus', why does it have such a small greenhouse effect?

7. What atmospheric phenomenon can quickly wipe out any view of Mars' surface from above? What causes this phenomenon?

8. Why does Mars have such a thin atmosphere? What is the runaway refrigerator?

9. How does liquid water remove carbon dioxide gas from an atmosphere?

10. What distinguishes Earth from the rest of the planets? What is so unusual about its atmosphere and what produces this unusual feature?

11. What are the different ways that life removes carbon dioxide from the Earth's atmosphere?

12. Where do coal, oil, and natural gas come from? What happens when they are burned?

13. What is a natural way that most of the carbon dioxide is returned to the atmosphere on Earth?

14.How does plate tectonics regulate the climate of the Earth?

15. What is a non-natural, human activity that returns a lot of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?

16. What are the benefits of the presence of the ozone layer?

17. Is the greenhouse problem on Earth different from the ozone problem? How so?

advanced article probable questions, hope it helps

does anyone have the answers to these questions? thanks x
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by student53)
same...can't believe it, is tomorrow!!!:woo:
yay! Let's get it all out of the way people and then have an amazing summer
to look forward to!

Good luck everyone!!!!
Saluki-Sake
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:hugs: aw thank you ^^
but all I did was google define :blush:
LOL, but you've been so helpful to us all throughout this thread! :yep: you deserve it! :hugs:
ruddles12345
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does anyone know what the several stages could be in the ultraviolet dissociation of water on the advanced notice???
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ruddles12345)
Does anyone know what the several stages could be in the ultraviolet dissociation of water on the advanced notice???
:confused: idk why it's several.
I thought it was just
H2O ---> O* and OH*
UV

I guess there could be some initiation, propogation and termination stuff here :yep:
Saluki-Sake
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ruddles12345)
Ehh not sure :/ tbh I don't think it'll ask us about it or it would have given us more info in the diagram/text :P I reckon it's more likely to ask about Fig.5 because they corrected it, hinting at a possible question If I recall correctly, they corrrected Mars' flowchart, so maybe a q on refrigeration effect?
c4integrationisgay
Report 8 years ago
thermosetting plastics cant get reshaped because there are cross links between the particles. so heating them up would break them.

thermoplastics can get reshaped because there are no cross links between the particles so particles can slide freely on top of each other..

are any of these sentences wrong? :/
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by c4integrationisgay)
thermosetting plastics cant get reshaped because there are cross links between the particles. so heating them up would break them.

thermoplastics can get reshaped because there are no cross links between the particles so particles can slide freely on top of each other..

are any of these sentences wrong? :/
I wrote this before hun:
Thermoplastic:
- No crosslinks
- therefore IMF weaker
- therefore bonds easily broken by warming
- therefore when heated it deforms
- therefore can be moulded
- as when cooled IMF forms but with different atoms

Thermoset:
-Lots of crosslinks
- therefore IMF stronger
- therefore doesn't easily deform

Hope that helps ^^
maoam2406
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what are the stages of initiation,propagation and termanation in terms of uv dissociation of water?!
xshopoholicx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
is it
H20 >> H + OH
OH + OH >>> H2O + H
H + OH >> H2O
xelaman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apologies for interrupting, but a quick qs, ive just done Jan 10, and i dont understand
Qs3a, polymerization of but-2-ene and another different alkene.

I presumed this to be copolymerization but alas its addition.

Any explanation would be much appreciated and gd luck to everyone tomorrow
xshopoholicx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i thought that would be co polymerisation because they are both different
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (43)
44.79%
Pro-humanity (53)
55.21%