"Looks are everything these days" Watch

Poll: "Looks are everything these days" - Agree or disagree?
Agree (228)
51.94%
Disagree (211)
48.06%
alijimi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Having lots of sex matters so much more than being an intelligent individual.

And if you don't believe me? Who do people aspire to be? Someone who's successful because they're so hot, or someone who's successful because of their intelligence?
Well, having lots of sex is not going to help you more than intelligence when you are applying for a job.

Successful and hot works for women due to the media. Men have to be intelligent in order to become successful.
Teveth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
I think somebody needs a hug.
:hugs:
better?
Much better. Thanks.
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fink)
Is it? I don't think there's anyone who would claim the X-factor is more important than finding a cure for cancer. They might be more intrested in the X-factor personally, but that isn't the same as regarding it as more important.

I think this thread shows more about where your own priorities lie than anything else. You eqaute fame and wealth with genuine respect.
This
mikeylfc1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by O-Ren)
This is right on. It's 'uncool' to be anything other than the good looking, lazy, unambitious wastrel. Then people get to 18 and they realise how ****** they are.
Strong truths in this thread... We're going to be screwed when our generation is running ****.
dsch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jannike)
The proportion of poor people is far higher than that of wealthy people, so seeing as we all have the same voting power as each other, that could never happen. If the top few percentage of people in the wealth hierarchy had more voting power than the rest of us put together, things would be very different, and a "greed is good" style of ruling probably would exist.

In certains career paths, attractiveness is a necessity, but the richest people in the world are usually not attractive at all. Perhaps I will give this Michel Houellebecq a go.
You're making an assumption about the nature of the distribution of wealth. Consider a society with an artificially large (and wealthy) middle class, or even any society with wealth distributed in such a way that a frequency histogram of wealth would be skewed to the right. But that's beside the point, and it wouldn't happen in our society.

If you read MH don't read Whatever first - you'd appreciate it more after Atomised.
Digit_Five
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
bottom line is that the men in that video are attractive, im not saying they are to me but to somebody they are
No, they're not. To someone, somewhere, they're a last resort.
Septimoose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teveth)
OP, I can confirm that having a big **** counts for nothing. It's not like we can go around in T shirts with 'I have a big ****' written on it.

And yes, unfortunately you're right about looks. This world is incredibly shallow especially the women of this world.

I facepalmed when I just realised that I have a T shirt that says 'My pen is huge'. Subtle, but it's the same thing. Fortunately, I don't wear it in public. As for looks, to me, looks count for next to nothing (of course they count for something... I'm only human after all). 'Fit' people often have the worst personalities, because they know they are better looking than other people, and they use this against you, and this is why I always choose personality over looks.
an_end_has_a_start
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Digit_Five)
No, they're not. To someone, somewhere, they're a last resort.

a last resort? to whom? i'm gonna assume its someone in the same 'league' ... in which case they've found each other.. everyones happy!
mikeylfc1989
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wilson_smith)
This
If you define success as wealth/respect/fame/admiration. You will find popular culture sees life as one big movie. Scientists/intellectuals don't make it to the big screen unfortunately.
it'smelaura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
"Mating" or sex?

In today's society, if you don't have sex, you're a pathetic unsocialable little virgin with no hope of a future...

Depressing, nevertheless true, fact.
Honestly, I think you're looking into things far too much..
I'm not going to deny that looks do seem to tend to play a part in other's first impressions of attractive people, but I really don't think that looks are considered to be "everything".

The virgin thing, however, I just cannot relate to at all. Maybe amongst the little schoolkids that lost their virginity at 12 and have nothing else to be proud of [and yes, I know this sounds like a completely bigoted view but what can I say? I happen to have come across way too many of them. :rolleyes: ], but I'd say the majority of people I've met couldn't care less if someone's a virgin or not. If someone stays true to themselves and has no shame about being a virgin, most people respect that.
Teveth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Septimoose)
I facepalmed when I just realised that I have a T shirt that says 'My pen is huge'. Subtle, but it's the same thing. Fortunately, I don't wear it in public. As for looks, to me, looks count for next to nothing (of course they count for something... I'm only human after all). 'Fit' people often have the worst personalities, because they know they are better looking than other people, and they use this against you, and this is why I always choose personality over looks.
Me too.

I find that the women I become highly attracted to tend to be considered unattractive by my friends, I'm not sure why. I tend to go for the slightly weird looking ones for some reason. I've never once had a 'thing' for a girl/woman who would generally be considered physically attractive by other people.

If only there were women out there like me!
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeylfc1989)
If you define success as wealth/respect/fame/admiration. You will find popular culture sees life as one big movie. Scientists/intellectuals don't make it to the big screen unfortunately.
Success is self-defining
mikeylfc1989
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Success is self-defining
Everything is self-defining. I'm talking about society's definition.
SarahElz
Report 8 years ago
i sort of agree, im not saying looks are everything, but its rare to find someone who would love you the same way if you werent attractive. i just sort of wish that nowadays things didnt revolve around sex and how hot or fit someone is considered to be, just as much. i know looks are important but outward beauty seems to mean more to some people than what sort of person they actually are
jannike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dsch)
You're making an assumption about the nature of the distribution of wealth. Consider a society with an artificially large (and wealthy) middle class, or even any society with wealth distributed in such a way that a frequency histogram of wealth would be skewed to the right. But that's beside the point, and it wouldn't happen in our society.

If you read MH don't read Whatever first - you'd appreciate it more after Atomised.
Wealth doesn't necessarily translate to political power in this society. However, I trust your knowledge of the distribution of wealth more than my own, which is practically non-existent.

I'll try and find Atomised, but first I have Nottingham's long English Studies reading list to get through before September.
dsch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jannike)
Wealth doesn't necessarily translate to political power in this society. However, I trust your knowledge of the distribution of wealth more than my own, which is practically non-existent.

I'll try and find Atomised, but first I have Nottingham's long English Studies reading list to get through before September.
What I meant was whenever there are a lot of people rich enough to benefit from being more self sufficient and paying less to the state then they can vote for a greedy government, if they all want to, even without voting privileges.
wilson_smith
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeylfc1989)
Everything is self-defining. I'm talking about society's definition.
I don't think it is, tables, roads, books, laughter and are not self-defining, they're objective, unambiguous and universal terms.

A person creates their own goals, ambitions and aspirations, and the achievement of such weighs up to determine ones own success, there aren't universal goals or aspirations and hence no objectification of what can account as success.

The collective mass can bolster materialist, commodity-centric, media defined concepts of success, but they cannot aribtrate what someone elses success is.

Hope that made a little sense..
mikeylfc1989
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think it is, tables, roads, books, laughter and are not self-defining, they're objective, unambiguous and universal terms.

A person creates their own goals, ambitions and aspirations, and the achievement of such weighs up to determine ones own success, there aren't universal goals or aspirations and hence no objectification of what can account as success.

The collective mass can bolster materialist, commodity-centric, media defined concepts of success, but they cannot aribtrate what someone elses success is.

Hope that made a little sense..
It does, I'm not really arguing about this, I agree with you. I'm talking about is society's view of your life, not how you view/define yourself.

It's a superficial thread, I'm just going with the topic.
overclocked
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To an extent this is true. I wouldn't have been able to do half the stuff i've been able to if i looked like a tramp.
mau5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GwonTon)
I'm with you on that man. It really is treated like a form of racism.

Bottom line: you don't have to get with someone who's ugly, but you should at least treat them with the basic respect a human being deserves. A lot of people do not.

My message to any of the girls reading this is that, if a guy who's not that attractive approaches you, or tries to talk to you, or whatever, and you're not interested, just be polite and respond with some respect. Say you've got a boyfriend or whatever, but in a nice way or with a smile. When you treat people like a turd to be wiped off your shoe, time after time after time, it stings. If you insult them, that sticks with them for a long time. You might think guys have the upper hand in these situations but we don't. We're not going to do anything back at you for it, but just walk away and wake up the next day feeling a lot worse. Just think about the consequences, that's all.
I think you must be coming across as really sleazy or creepy if you are getting girls insulting you just for approaching them. I aways go and talk to girls who are much more attractive than me, and I've never once had a negative reponse. Even if they aren't attracted to you most girls will still be happy to talk to you if you are interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads