Youths kill 67yr old man. Sentenced to 4 and 3 years. Will serve half that. Watch

MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Iron Mike)
Crime?
How does this solve crime?
thedaveimperium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Crime?
no evidence of that
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can see why it was manslaughter and not murder as it was only 1 hit and didn't have the intent. There is no doubt that the punishment needs to be harsher but as stupid as it sounds, these morons were unlucky the victim died. IMO there should be much harsher punishment on the far more common occasions when the vicitm isn't badly injured to deter attacks from happening and the infrequent death. I'm not sure prison will help them, maybe some kind of corporal punishment might be more effective. They clearly enjoy violence.
Iron Mike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MTR_10)
How does this solve crime?
Deterrent
Iron Mike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thedaveimperium)
no evidence of that
Countries which implement the death penalty have fewer muder cases. .e.g. Saudi Arabia
pinstripe306
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Neo)
Read a few of the posts above before you start gobbing off about the death penalty
Yes? And what's wrong with "gobbing off" about my thoughts on death penalty, which was the original topic of the thread?
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Brutality to punish brutality.... and what exactly does that solve?
If you let them get away what will stop them from doing it again? There is no win-win situation here. I think they should just be locked up..In fact I don't even know any more.
andyatk14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's obviously manslaughter, but 3/4 years is nowhere near enough, 10 would be way more appropriate! And the death penalty should definately be brought back - but only for murderers who performed the crime intentionally, with malice.
MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
If you let them get away what will stop them from doing it again? There is no win-win situation here. I think they should just be locked up..In fact I don't even know any more.
We will learn why they did it thus preventing it from happening again. There is a big cultural problem in this country that needs to be addressed and this crime is just a glimpse of it. To punish individuals is not the solution because they are part of a much wider problem with society. The government (or the justice system) needs to take time to study this and ask what can be done in the future to prevent it from happening. This will start with a study of society, the backgrounds of the individuals and the system(s) which lead to this culture. The answers will be there in front of them and finally we may change as a country for the better.
Respect4Acting
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's because the guy is 67 they are hardly sentencing him, i bet if the guy was 40 he'd gt alot more.
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
true but you have to intend really serious harm, something that a slap is not considered to be in English law.

if the victim dies because an underlying condition meant a slap would be likely to cause him really serious harm then the "thin skull" rule would seem to apply. if not, then its an accidental death and manslaughter at most

on a side note: several posts have said that if we had capital punishment this would not happen as much. THIS IS A LIE. the death penalty does not serve as a deterrence. US states which employ the death penalty have higher murder rates than those who don't.

http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/st...argument1b.htm
Don't forget recklessness, if serious injury was a certainty from the slap (which i think it was given the guy was stood on concrete and not grass) and the boys thought this then they should be guilty of murder.
RamsFanNo1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely it's better for the future to take a step back from all of this and ask ourselves why somebody would randomly assault an old guy in the street in front of his 3 year old daughter? That person must be seriously screwed up. So let's just kill him??!! What does that solve? How does that prevent this happening in the future? We have to find out why and how somebody can do that. Find out what the problem with this 'culture' is and resolve that, not just kill them for their crime because that cycle will just continue.

It's time like this that I really feel ashamed of this country and how something like this can happen.

I read an article about this in the Evening Standard last night. Was so shocked. Feel sorry for his grandaughter having to witness that.
But how else do we solve crimes like this? Continue giving them tiny sentences in conditions which are better then some people live. This doesn't really put a message out to other people that crimes like this are not acceptable and you will be punished severely if anythiing like this happens again.
RamsFanNo1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Neo)
How many times have you been in jail? And yes I do think it is right for them to still be alive because I don't believe in the death penalty.
I've never been to jail fortunately because unlike these twisted people, I know the difference between right and wrong and I respect others too much. However just because I have never been in prison does not mean I do not know what I am going on about. Do you research into prisons in the UK and then compare them to other countries for instance America. You may get a slight shock!!
Neo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamsFanNo1)
I've never been to jail fortunately because unlike these twisted people, I know the difference between right and wrong and I respect others too much. However just because I have never been in prison does not mean I do not know what I am going on about. Do you research into prisons in the UK and then compare them to other countries for instance America. You may get a slight shock!!
Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail mate
thedaveimperium
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
Don't forget recklessness, if serious injury was a certainty from the slap (which i think it was given the guy was stood on concrete and not grass) and the boys thought this then they should be guilty of murder.
murder has to be intended.

Countries which implement the death penalty have fewer muder cases. .e.g. Saudi Arabia
look at america, which:
a) is a much better comparison (for both demographic and legal reasons)
b) has a much higher murder rate than the uk, canada and most of western europe
c) then look at comparisons between individual states. new york which has the death penalty but hasn't used it since 1994 (when it was reintroduced) has a much lower crime rate than texas, which executes the most prisoners.
d) with regards to saudi arabia crime is so low there because of sharia law, not the dp, which is proven not to be a deterrent.
Mr. Orange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
murder has to be intended.

No sh!t Sherlock :holmes:
thedaveimperium
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
No sh!t Sherlock :holmes:
i'll repost your last post:
i responded to your post:
murder has to be intended
in short (although this is quite long, isn't it?), i corrected you and you regressed 5 years.
Mr. Orange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'll repost your last post:

i responded to your post:

in short (although this is quite long, isn't it?), i corrected you and you regressed 5 years.
read my earlier posts in the topic

read up on common law (case law)

edit and if you are going to try and pick apart my post try reading the "if serious injury was a certainty from the slap and the boys thought this" part over and over again until it sinks in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads