Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Organ donation-Yay or nay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yay! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Unfortunately, public health and local culture are inextricably linked to donation figures. There are so many variables, some of which are blatantly clear (e.g. Japan has great living donor figures, but that's because their culture doesn't accept deceased donors) whilst others (like Spain) are much more subtle and more difficult to dissect. One thing that is clear is that we can't simply look at statistics completely out of context and think that an opt out system is for the best.

Nor can we assume that an opt in system is better

Personally, I think donations should always be about the personal choice, and the decisions into who should get the organ should only ever involve clinical criteria to ensure respect towards donor and patient. Anything else is irrelevant and could lead to the medical field being brought into disrepute.
    Assuming that there are two identical patients with exactly the same clinical condition, exactly the same chance of getting better as a result of a donation, how else could you possibly decide? I reckon it's a perfectly valid way to decide. Of course it would be wrong to give an organ to a donor over a non donor when the non donor has a greater chance of living.
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witty Username)
    Well it is a contradiction since you said:
    And generally people need organs because there is no other way for them to survive.
    I'm guessing your belief applies to live donations too? (eg. if a relative needed a kidney from you etc.)
    you are asking me if a loved one were on their death bed would I give them a part of my body, did you expect me to say "no" ? Obviously not. Yes people need organs to survive, people that aren't related to me. I have been fortunate in the sense that no one in my family is ill like that.
    You said would I donate - I wouldn't
    You said what if it was a family member - I would if it is something genetic only ie only a relative could do this due to a gene match.
    Would I donate when I am dead - no because just no (it's different to you but too bad so live with it)
    Would I give knowing that after I die my family member would use it because there is no way for them to survive - yeah I would
    Under any other circumstances would I donate (ie family members are all healthy) - no

Does that make it clear?

And don't tell me that I am contradicting myself because you asked a question for a specific case.

You should realise that this is something that people do willingly because they want to not because someone has guilt tripped or talked them into it.

Everyone is born the same (talking about the majority who are born healthy and don't bombard me with some statistics). So if in later life their organ fails for whatever reason NO ONE is under any obligation to donate their own organs because everyone (talking about the majority again) had the same body with the same functions to begin with. Organ donation is a gift that you chose or chose not to do. And I chose not to do it. This doesn't make me less or more evil or humanitarian or whatever. It's a choice.

I cannot explain my actions to you any better than I have above so I wont be replying to you again on this subject. Also you should bare in mind that I am only 20 and I have not made up my mind about everything regarding my life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinshed)
    you are asking me if a loved one were on their death bed would I give them a part of my body, did you expect me to say "no" ? Obviously not. Yes people need organs to survive, people that aren't related to me. I have been fortunate in the sense that no one in my family is ill like that.
    You said would I donate - I wouldn't
    You said what if it was a family member - I would if it is something genetic only ie only a relative could do this due to a gene match.
    Would I donate when I am dead - no because just no (it's different to you but too bad so live with it)
    Would I give knowing that after I die my family member would use it because there is no way for them to survive - yeah I would
    Under any other circumstances would I donate (ie family members are all healthy) - no

Does that make it clear?

And don't tell me that I am contradicting myself because you asked a question for a specific case.

You should realise that this is something that people do willingly because they want to not because someone has guilt tripped or talked them into it.

Everyone is born the same (talking about the majority who are born healthy and don't bombard me with some statistics). So if in later life their organ fails for whatever reason NO ONE is under any obligation to donate their own organs because everyone (talking about the majority again) had the same body with the same functions to begin with. Organ donation is a gift that you chose or chose not to do. And I chose not to do it. This doesn't make me less or more evil or humanitarian or whatever. It's a choice.

I cannot explain my actions to you any better than I have above so I wont be replying to you again on this subject. Also you should bare in mind that I am only 20 and I have not made up my mind about everything regarding my life.
    At no point have I attacked you morally in this thread, I was purely asking about the motivations behind your beliefs out of interest.
    I didn't expect you to say 'no' regarding giving a family member an organ but I just thought you'd ask as you said you'd never do it. Was just querying!
    I do already realise that donation is something you do willingly, hence the name...
    Quite frankly I could write a lot more in response to your angsty post in which you just presume I'm having a go at you and condemning you, but I've got better things to do ( plus you've said you won't reply any more which makes me highly doubt you'll even read this, ergo waste of time).

ReputationRep:
    Providing I'm well and truly dead they can take what they want, it's not like there's any chance I'll need my pancreas or anything else for that matter once i've snuffed it...
    And to be honest, if your liver or something else was failing, you'd be a bit pissed if there were no organs left because people had just buried their relatives intact because they'd 'suffered enough'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinshed)
    I don't like the idea of a foreign object in my body, even a pacemaker or breast implants.

No I don't believe in after life or any kind of "reward" after death,
    Surely its better than being dead all together. Especially if you dont believe in life after death.

Its not like you will be in constant pain for the rest of your life ( I think you have to take a pill every day to stop your immune system from killing the organ )

People have survived for years through much harder circumstances.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.