Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

David Cameron - "Before protesting, students need to get the facts straight." watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Per week costs are b/w 171 and 281 on that link, i.e over a 40 week term it is going to be 7-11k. The higher end is being generous, it is the cost for those who live in the most expensive accommodation and spend heavily on entertainment etc. 10k is far from what living costs should be for an average student outside London, and in Scotland its going to be much lower.
    A parental lottery would imply that somehow the degree cost is relevant to your parents, and if you don't have parents who can pay for it you won't get university education. Both are false, there simply is no correlation between the topic of whether tuition fees should increase and whether . Like I said before, even with no tuition fees, some parents would pay more for their kids (in the form of living costs), they may help them buy a house, get private education, better healthcare etc. Parents do influence their children's lives, degree cost, whether it is 0, 1k or 9k, has nothing to do with this concept.
    Reading is outside london.

Scottish education is free.

I'm bored now.

Still stuck on point one

The funny thing is that you have already answered my question indirectly. Yet are unable to connect the dots.

You are a ****ing idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burpleronnie)
    Reading is outside london.

Scottish education is free.

I'm bored now.

Still stuck on point one

The funny thing is that you have already answered my question indirectly. Yet are unable to connect the dots.

You are a ****ing idiot.
    Scottish living costs aren't free. That is the point I was on about. And your data's, by simple arithmetic as demonstrated in my previous post, is still faulty for your own example (Reading). Well done for ignoring that and resorting to ad-hom. You haven't acknowledged the simple fact that parents influence their children in all spheres, and this has nothing to do with fees itself, and that the fees do not prohibit anyone from going to university due to the availability of loans, hence it is not a parental lottery at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    I'm merely making this thread to pass on an article written by David Cameron himself for the Evening Standard, outlining the 'truth' behind the funding cuts. I think he makes a few very valid points, and just wanted to put it out there because I couldn't find another thread on it (forgive me if there is one/it's within another thread)...

Anyway, the article is here.

I was just wondering who agreed with this article, and whether anyone else thinks fewer people would be protesting right now if they'd actually done their research. I for one do think lots of people are probably just 'going along for the ride' without really getting the facts straight.

PS. I wrote about how I was merely making the thread to pass on the article to others. Please don't neg me. If you disagree with any of the opinions I give in my following posts, fair enough, but I'm not David Cameron, so there's no reason to neg this one...
    I haven't actually protested but the thing that I mostly disagree with is the 80% cut in humanities funding.
    Although the tuition fee rise won't affect me, I don't think that the fees should rise that much for EVERY course. At the moment, I have 7 contact hours a week and I'm paying the same as a friend who has around 20!

(Original post by Aj12)
    Heard some rumours on another forum that the EDL are planning on show up to the next one to support the police
    I so hope that's true - that will be hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah guys, get your facts straight before you protest:

Under the new cuts, we have the worst funded universities, and the most expensive universities in the civilised world.

Ok facts aquired lets go.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.