Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voted in favour by 21 votes :| Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Lewroll)
      It was great, you should have gone. I didnt expect to get the result but, i dont think anyone did. Most of the people I saw were just showing their anger. At least we know the tories and libdems wont win the next election.
      :facepalm2:

That is all.

And I promise you - the Tories will win an outright majority in 2015.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bektas)
      WHAT THE ****,

HOW ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT GET ALL THESE ****ING **** **** SCROUNGERS WHO ARE BREEDING FOR FUN, WITH 10 KIDS, WHO HAVE NO INTENTION TO CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY AND CUT THEM OFF.

My parents have been paying taxes their WHOLE lives, to pay for that ****, pay for other people's livelyhoods. It's come to a point where I see a mother with about 6 kids on a bus, who is probably 'earning' more than my mum. WHERE'S IS THE FAIRNESS? **** SAKE.

What would the taxpayer rather subsidise? Benefits or graduate level studies? I bloody well know what my parents would choose.

The whole system is ****ed. ****ED ****ED ****ED.

Why should someone who wants to better themselves, personally, academically and for the common good get penalised with HUGE debts? Where someone who has done **** ALL with his or her life gets 'free' money, for doing abosolute that, **** all.

**** YOU CLEGG, **** YOU CAMERON. **** ALL THESE POLITICIANS.

/Rant
      Standing ovation

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fifer2010)
      Tory Government....

Ur opinions:

1 - Thatcher
      2 - Cameron
      3 - Clegg << There, I've put him in.

need I say more....
      You missed one out - I'll stick him in for you

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      :facepalm2:

That is all.

And I promise you - the Tories will win an outright majority in 2015.
      Thats a bit imature isnt it, resorting to name calling. Im sure someone as academic as you could come up with a better reply than that.
      There is no way the tories will win the next election.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reue)
      If their degree means they will be getting a well paid job.. then is it fair that they arnt put in debt while others are??
      You seem to assume that every graduate will get a job that is directly linked to what they're studying. There isn't a huge abundance of employment opportunities you know. There are also other factors such as the poor students could have to help provide for their family once they get a job.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jb9191)
      You missed one out - I'll stick him in for you
      Cheers mate

Even though am in Scotland, this is a F**king joke!!!

The whole system is a joke... my advice, start drinking heavily, drugs, council houses etc etc, a few kids and you'l be better off!!!

WTF!!!??

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      Sure, if I could actually pay the fees to train in the first place. Trouble is, I don't have £9-36,000 in my bank account.
      All fees will be covered by loans. You will not have to pay anything upfront. You will only begin paying the loans back when you earn over £21,000.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tibbles209)
      All fees will be covered by loans. You will not have to pay anything upfront. You will only begin paying the loans back when you earn over £21,000.
      He's talking about Graduate Entry Medicine, which doesn't get the student loan.

ReputationRep:
      Its cool that people are protesting and all, ont expect people to be pleased but what did you honestly expect? Graduate tax is the same thing. Get it into your heads, there is no money is this country, hell there is no money in western europe. Such austerity measures are an inevitability. To rely or expect any government to actually make your life easier is an unbelievable fallacy in itself.

But one thing I will say is that all you jackasses who complained at me for not voting in may are ****ing tards. Maybe now you will say taking days out to vote is an unbelievable waste of time. Spent that thursday sitting inside in my own filth and playing xbox. Time well spent as far as I'm concerned.

(Original post by Silly Goose)
        Last I checked, Imperial and UCL were in the world top 10.
        So?

They will never, ever be on par with the likes of Harvard/Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Silly Goose)
        He's talking about Graduate Entry Medicine, which doesn't get the student loan.
        Ah right, my mistake Thanks for clearing that up.

(Original post by Organ)
          What does an Oxford masturbator like yourself make of this course?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...esthetics.html
          Oxford masturbator... :rolleyes:

With regards to the course, perfectly fine with that.

ReputationRep:
          Aber here I come.

Is EMA still applicable, or has this also been shunted?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by tibbles209)
          Not for graduate medics. Despite a first degree being a prerequisite, graduate medicine is still considered to be an undergraduate and is subsequently caught up in this mess.

Unfortunately, we have the double whammy of not being eligible for tuition loans. We have to pay ours upfront which would have originally been feasible at £3k rates with a highstreet bank loan. With these increases, a very significant proportion of graduate medics are now being priced out of what they have spend the last three years working towards.

To be honest, I don't mind having debt. I will happily pay for my education from my future earnings. The issue that I have with this policy is that I am no longer able to enter into that career in the first place.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Bishamon)
          Its cool that people are protesting and all, ont expect people to be pleased but what did you honestly expect? Graduate tax is the same thing. Get it into your heads, there is no money is this country, hell there is no money in western europe. Such austerity measures are an inevitability. To rely or expect any government to actually make your life easier is an unbelievable fallacy in itself.
          But this policy has nothing at all to do with there "not being any money left" (which itself is BS - look how much money we can give to Ireland / waste by not stopping tax avoidance). It is purely political IMO.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Fifer2010)
          Tory Government....

Ur opinions:

1 - Thatcher
          2 - Cameron

need I say more....
          Our glorious leader, Call me Dave famously said "I would rather be the son of Thatcher". I concur.
          I might add "I'd rather not be the son of b-LAIR or brown".

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
            Sure, if I could actually pay the fees to train in the first place. Trouble is, I don't have £9-36,000 in my bank account.
            Tough ****, Medicine is competitive. If you can't afford it, someone else will.

ReputationRep:
            People on benefits get more.

Why study for 3 years and take out loans when I can claim housing benefit, sit at home all day, claim DLA and a nice car on motability and do some work on the sly without paying tax, bang a few chavette women and have a whole football team of children to get nice handy payments and also be able to claim a 6 bedroom house in Surrey as having a small house infringes my human rights and the rights of my children ?

Stuff education and university.

My new ambition is to be just like this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-000-home.html

http://www.derbygripe.co.uk/scrounge.htm

Couple of years on benefits and I might be able to save enough to go to Cambridge. Sounds like a plan.

ReputationRep:
            To all of those claiming that poorer students will be put off applying because of the fees, let me offer my thoughts. This is what people said the last time tuition fees were increased. I am an undergraduate from a poor background, my mum has also just decided to undertake a degree. As an individual coming from a family that has financially struggled for as long as I can remember, I feel that yes, the high fees are scary. However, because of the hardship that my family has encountered over the years, I was even more determined to get a good education and have a good career. I just hope that the increased fees won't stop bright students from realising that it is worth the investment to better your prospects and hopefully to give yourself the chance of a good career and the ability to support yourself and your family without struggling. The fees that I am paying are a considerable amount of money to me, but I realise that it is for my benefit. I understand that the fees have increased significantly, but if I had to, I would pay them to allow myself a better future.

(Original post by Paramore<3)
              Aber here I come.

Is EMA still applicable, or has this also been shunted?
              Will be scrapped in 2011.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.