Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irishmonkey1992)
    How is everyones all nighters going?
    terrible too little too late springs to mind and the stress means nothing is staying in! hope yours is going better! ATB with it

BTw, are there any ideas floating about on possible topics, fear i need to prioritise or i shall run out of time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beksbrad)
    terrible too little too late springs to mind and the stress means nothing is staying in! hope yours is going better! ATB with it

BTw, are there any ideas floating about on possible topics, fear i need to prioritise or i shall run out of time....
    Love how we're on the exact same wavelength right, just sorta assessed what booklets I have to look at... tbh there definitely wont be enough time. So yeah, I looked at the 2 past papers and according to them I've prioritised my essential to look at list! It consists of 'The Study of Suicide', 'Social Action Theories' and 'Sociology & Science'. They have all been suggested by others to be likely contenders. Oh god... I forgot I have to leave some time to quickly refresh my mind with the Methods!! Ahhhh

You can definitely rule out Feminism, Mass Media, Globalisation and Ethnicity, they all came up before.

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep at around half 1 and just woke up a few minutes ago. Last minute revision!

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep at 4ish... sigh... lol this is going to be fun :/

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite decent just done it

ReputationRep:
    I hated the 33 Mark question at the end!!! I wanted a theory question

ReputationRep:
    would have been great if i actually reivised positivist but i didnt soo upset!
    but tbh whats done is done

ReputationRep:
    How did people find it? I thought it was okay! Despite me CRAMMING last night and doing the whole sociology A Level in Jan

Just watch me get a U now

I found the 33 marker a little difficult, didn't really have much to say, but oh well!

ReputationRep:
    Hated last question ! very broad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairelou92)
    I hated the 33 Mark question at the end!!! I wanted a theory question
    Yeah I wanted theory too

Theory is amazin'

It was alright though coz I dropped in a bit of Marxist's fear of official stats.... Postmodernism too

I'm sure we'll all do fine It was good how it was a 3 mark Q and a 6 mark instead of a 9 mark!

ReputationRep:
    i think the exam went well too, i didnt like the positivist question at the end becuase i just bundled a few ideas i new about postivists together - since i didnt cover this topic in my studying.

i loved the questionnaire question though, it seemed to be the easiest one of all apart from the covert question.

i love the overt and covert partcipant topic, i think that its one of the most interesting topics in sociology.

i also included Cloward and Ohlin, as well as Albert K Cohen in the subcultural theories question.

How about you?
    how did you find the exam questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaygee)
    i think the exam went well too, i didnt like the positivist question at the end becuase i just bundled a few ideas i new about postivists together - since i didnt cover this topic in my studying.

i loved the questionnaire question though, it seemed to be the easiest one of all apart from the covert question.

i love the overt and covert partcipant topic, i think that its one of the most interesting topics in sociology.

i also included Cloward and Ohlin, as well as Albert K Cohen in the subcultural theories question.

How about you?
    how did you find the exam questions?
    Sounds pretty much the same as me I also included Miller and focal concerns in the subcultral questions.

For the first Q I put down age, gender, ethinicity, where you live, unemployment, W/C or M/C..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcoffee)
    Sounds pretty much the same as me I also included Miller and focal concerns in the subcultral questions.

For the first Q I put down age, gender, ethinicity, where you live, unemployment, W/C or M/C..
    Yeah I put Miller's focal concerns and also Charles Murray's underclass

Contrasted stuff with Matza's theory of drift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi.blythe)
    Yeah I put Miller's focal concerns and also Charles Murray's underclass

Contrasted stuff with Matza's theory of drift
    I said Matza thinks the whole subcultral theory is deterministic... I also put doing functionalist and marx theories on crime and deviance as I thought it allows for useful evaluation.

Ahh I want results now

ReputationRep:
    erm yeah..i'll be resitting this come june. 33 marker was horrible, did like a bit about sociology as a science :/. mind went blank on the 21 mark subcultures one too, was a piss easy question and i wrote like 6 lines. hate it when all the things i don't revise come up in the daft exam OH and like a fool i said weber is a marxist when he's an interactionist wnfkjbfpojwnefjbh!! no wonder i did **** last year too, i bloody said durkheim was a woman the whole way through. sociology is clearly not for me

ReputationRep:
    I said Matza thinks the whole subcultral theory is deterministic... I also put doing functionalist and marx theories on crime and deviance as I thought it allows for useful evaluation.

Ahh I want results now
    Yeahh did some Marxist stuffs I want results too, waiting is horrrrrrrible.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh did some Marxist stuffs I want results too, waiting is horrrrrrrible.
    lol I know! I feel I messed up the 33 marker! And the only advantage I could think for covert observation was high validity, and the green crime one was a little messy, I think I said official statistics are bad cos they understate the true extent of green crime or something as stupid as that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol I know! I feel I messed up the 33 marker! And the only advantage I could think for covert observation was high validity, and the green crime one was a little messy, I think I said official statistics are bad cos they understate the true extent of green crime or something as stupid as that :confused:
    Yeah I put validity for covert observation and then for another one put that observation gives detailed insight etc, was a bit weird

For green crime I put similar to you, shiz about 'dark figure' of crime and that O.S won't have it all recorded blahhh blahhhh blahhhhhhhhhhhhh

33 marker was weird I didn't really know exactly what they wanted so I put a bit of theory, then more methods and stuff about science and value freedom

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I put validity for covert observation and then for another one put that observation gives detailed insight etc, was a bit weird

For green crime I put similar to you, shiz about 'dark figure' of crime and that O.S won't have it all recorded blahhh blahhhh blahhhhhhhhhhhhh

33 marker was weird I didn't really know exactly what they wanted so I put a bit of theory, then more methods and stuff about science and value freedom
    FML TSR is being stupid and not letting me reply!

I've done the exact same for green crime and observation then? :cool: For 33 marker I based it on Durkheim's study of suicide and things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people talk about what the put for each question..it's horrible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.