Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are teenagers obsessed with black people and black culture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread has really twisted my melons, if you'll pardon the colloquialism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Caustic)
    You're moving away from the topic...

White UK teenagers, particulalry in areas of ethnic diversity, are 'obsessed' with black culture owing to the machismo associated with it. History has shown that black people have suffered the most at the hands of white colonialism and thus have had to tough out harder existences. This has made them appear in modern youth culture as being particularly tough and living lives closer to the raw meaning of existence i.e. 'more street.' White teenage boys ape this because they desire to be more masculine, and they see this through embuing black culture. As for teenage girls, I don't feel I know.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. And when these people try to emulate others, they come across as pathetic. Though I believe it’s also about fashion, in which this case people are trying to emulate what society today thinks is cool. The liberal agenda is partially to blame for this. Their aim is to create cultural awareness and equality but all they create is a people who have no identity or individuality. The worst part is that people who don’t conform to this herd mentality are seen as racist or prejudice.
    Btw, if I was black I would find it quite embarrassing, though I’m sure some black people get a kick out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Martian)
    I'm in year 10 and all of the black boys in my year are "popular" except for one because he "acts white". All of the Asian and white kids think they can make black jokes and they always try their hardest to impress black people. It's embarrassing. And ever since Cheryl Cole said Cher Lloyd had "swag" everyone says it now. And it really annoys me when white people use slang because it sounds really weird coming out of their mouth, lol. :K:
    No. Just no. How do you explain northern slang/ Scottish slang/ cockney slang? All were around long before Afro carribeans came to England and they're still evolving. Black people aren't the only ones who can think up slang words.

ReputationRep:
    True but i'm sure you can say that about most are edmonton/tottenham/wood green/manour houes to name a few full of gang culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meebodied)
    Swagger is an old English word... It was used by Shakespeare...
    I'm talking about 'swag' in the context in which the OP meant smart arse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    I for one hate modern, british black culture (in a non racist way).
    How can that possibly be 'in a non racist way'?
    That's pretty racist tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I swear it's also something to do with where you have come from and what you have made of yourself. Coming from the "streets" or whatever else...(I'm not really familiar with the lingo).

There are lots of rap artists who talk about "this is where I was from, it was so rubbish, but look where I am now". I think Chipmunk and Drake do this in a lot of their songs, Jay Z, Akon. They all talk about the tough upbringing they had, and what they have made themselves to be. With that sort of attitude, they get respect for how much they have achieved starting from nowhere. I think this is where partly the attitude that they are cooler comes from, its a story that people want to say "this is what I have achieved" etc. without it being handed on a plate. And with this attitude, comes all the other side things such as talking slang (just to show how ghetto you are) or listening to that type of music, etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's a culture thing not a ethnicity/race thing. I'm from a very middle class background and everyone I know weather they're white, brown or black acts middle class. The sooner people realise that the better.

Or maybe I'm just jealous because I have no swag?

ReputationRep:
    Black culture today is trashy, I wish it would stay in the ghetto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Martian)
    I'm in year 10 and all of the black boys in my year are "popular" except for one because he "acts white". All of the Asian and white kids think they can make black jokes and they always try their hardest to impress black people. It's embarrassing. And ever since Cheryl Cole said Cher Lloyd had "swag" everyone says it now. And it really annoys me when white people use slang because it sounds really weird coming out of their mouth, lol. :K:
    Personally, I reckon it's all to do with the media. Basically bredrin... I joke, I joke

Recently, R & B's become a bit TOO overrated since it's merging with the Pop industry and oh hell, I don't even know WHY they even call it R & B anymore! The lines have become all blurred with R & B, Pop, Hip Hop and Dance/Trance music which is really really annoying. Now, mainstream music is just overtaken by the same beats and tunes, it's pretty predictable and even people like Lady Gaga herself, has fallen under this merged genre despite everyone saying she's 'different' :lolwut:

And now everyone thinks that to be successful and famous, you have to start off with R & B and Americanise yourself and the easiest way is to portray yourself as a 'thug' which unfortunately is attacked to black culture and creates stereotypes.

So. The MEDIA is your answer

- runs back to completing a dissertation -

:work::moon::cookie::crast::lttd::pcguru::teehee:

Im really bored of this stupid lil threads with regards to Cheryl Cole, Cher Lloyd, Swagga and etc. It's becoming tedious and very boring.

Do people on TSR have nothing better to discuss?? . . .:dontknow::facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      it is cringy when people like cheryl and simon say swagga :puke:

i think its just to do where you're brough up from, most of the white people i know who act 'black' grew up in 'da rough endz of london'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Something_Ironic)
      How can that possibly be 'in a non racist way'?
      That's pretty racist tbh.

****ing hell some people have no idea at all what racism is.
      Read a ****ing book or two, and speak proper English.
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=def...ient=firefox-a

That might help you out a little. You retard.

ReputationRep:
      This is the saddest sorriest thread in existence. Everyone's culture is amazing when you truly understand it. To say one is more popular is really stupid. Demographically, England is predominantly white, so of course other cultures will arouse interest because of possible lack of understanding. Hence you talk to those people (obviously coz you like their personality) and to understand their culture more. Whats the problem?????

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lonelykatana)
      ****ing hell some people have no idea at all what racism is.
      Read a ****ing book or two, and speak proper English.
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=def...ient=firefox-a

That might help you out a little. You retard.
      Wow!To call someone a retard. How low is that?

ReputationRep:
      Because they think if black culture is cool and can make you look awesome?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by djpailo)
      This is the saddest sorriest thread in existence. Everyone's culture is amazing when you truly understand it. To say one is more popular is really stupid. Demographically, England is predominantly white, so of course other cultures will arouse interest because of possible lack of understanding. Hence you talk to those people (obviously coz you like their personality) and to understand their culture more. Whats the problem?????
      Everyone's culture is amazing when you truly understand it. To say one is more popular is really stupid. --> nice, i love your words

ReputationRep:
      Black people are good musicians, it seems. Our music has rhythm and beat. We're also good athletes - boxers, sprinters, footballers and women say we have a certain other asset too. LOL

My point is youth admire musicians and sportsmen. Most boys like football, most youth like popular music, which today is largely black music. Simples.

ReputationRep:
      Speaking as a white teenager, white people that try to be 'gangsta' - or for that matter, people of any race that try to be 'gangsta' - annoy the hell out of me. It is not cool to wear your trousers round your ankles and a baseball cap backwards :mad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BambieWambie)
      Wow!To call someone a retard. How low is that?
      You're cute, thinking I care about your opinion

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.