Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

cof cof their is alot of bad weather here

ReputationRep:
      I used to think patriotism was stupid...but having come to live in another country really gives you a sense of your national identity and what makes your country special. the culture you grew up in you'll always have a very special connection with which is almost impossible to extricate yourself from. I don't think it's bad to be patriotic, to appreciate the place you live. Britain really is one of the most beautiful and amazing countries in the world. the history: the castles, cathedrals, universities; the landscapes: the mountains, the lakes, the fields and hills; the culture: the contributions to cinema, theatre, television, art, music, comedy; the politics: secular, liberal, has a welfare state. I really think we have a lot to be grateful for.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by L i b)
      No. Nationalism is a collectivist ideology which is anathema to liberals.

As perverse as it may be, "Anglo" means British in some contexts. Which is fair enough really: Scotland is just as "Anglo" as it is "Scotto", in ethnic terms.

Oh, and Luceria, Hogwarts was in Scotland!
      Oh, so you reckon most people who say they're anglophiles mean Britain not just England? I guess I just remember England being Angloterre? in French so didn't think it encompassed both but I see what you mean about Anglo ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
      No, I'm not proud of it.

I'll defend it to the death against any foreigners though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by quixoticduck)
      Oh, so you reckon most people who say they're anglophiles mean Britain not just England? I guess I just remember England being Angloterre? in French so didn't think it encompassed both but I see what you mean about Anglo ethnicity.
      Well, in international contexts, we had things like the Anglo-Irish Agreement between Britain and the Republic of Ireland etc. It really depends on context.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.