Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Letter to your younger self. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    This has to be the best thread ever.
    Awwwwwww :')

ReputationRep:
    Dear me (Aged 11)

Stay away from certain silly girls and make it clear to him that you only want to be friends, it will save you a lot of heartache over the next 4 years. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT TAKE ICT OR BUSINESS AT A-LEVEL!! YOU SUCK AT BOTH OF THEM!! And work harder on the English A Level. DO NOT START A BUSINESS DEGREE, you will save yourself wasting 12 weeks and a lot of money hassles in the following year. Be more outgoing and talk to people and listen to mum when she says you're going to ruin your eyesight reading by the streetlamp, because glasses are going to cost you a fortune. Also budget properly.

Me (Aged 21)

I love this thread. Reading through these just makes me smile =)

Dear 13-year-old me,
    Relax. Stop trying so hard. You're only a kid - don't be in a rush to grow up, just take things at your own pace. Life is not a race. Stop worrying and enjoy these years, because it's about to get a hell of a lot worse. Don't stress about school and don't work too hard. Just have fun!
    Lots of love,
    17-year-old me.

Dear 15-year-old me,
    This will end. Please, please believe me. I know its hard for you to see, but you will come through this. I'm not saying it will be easy. It'll take a lot of time and tears, and it may be years before you're completely free of it. But it will happen eventually. Please don't give up hope.
    I love you so, so much.
    17-year-old me.
    PS. Try to be nice to your parents, please? I know this is hard for you, but don't take it out on them. You know they'd do anything for you.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to write a full letter and not sure the best time to write to myself since I was bullied at school and shy for years later then suffered severe depression from family death at 22 so where to I write to myself the most? when I was bullied but happy with myself? when my life went to a massive downward spiral?

Anyway Not sure about an entire letter but will leave my younger self some pointers(age 16 and a half I think is besT)

Right, you are correct that life is bad but you must build yourself up, dont worry about things moving too fast but dont let things pass you by. You are attractive to the opposite sex, people are jealous of you so stand up for yourself more and enjoy life, you have great potential so dont waste it and dont believe the bullies, the worst of it is over and what you will see from now on is just people who are just winding you up as they know you are quiet, if you arent quiet they wont bully you unlike at school, in fact they will like you for it.

Dont believe what

ReputationRep:
    Dear Fission_Mailed, age 14

First off, mate; when a pretty girl shows an interest in you, don't run and hide. It isn't an elaborate prank, the truth is she likes you and you can save yourself a lot of grief in the coming years by not acting like a douche because you are scared. This will have long lasting consequences. We have a tendency to play a situation through one million times over in our heads, imagining the way we wish it would go, before acting. This leads to us acting too late. Go to parties (if you carry on ignoring invites from the cool kids, they will stop coming) and talk to girls.

I know how you put on the confident face to cover up for the fact that you really don't believe in yourself and I can tell you now that it is unwarranted. Every major thing that you have gone for up to this point, you've achieved. Push yourself harder. My lack of failure is probably less about our inherent awesomeness (although we are :awesome: ) and more about your risk aversion. We can do great things if you believe that we can, and if you fail it will make us stronger.

Do some exercise. You're only going to grow about 2 or 3 more inches, so that weight isn't going to get stretched out. If we were fit, then once you are too short to play centre or power forward, I could take over as a nippy guard. Basketball is the only sport that you will ever not suck completely at.

You're going to have a great 5 years, don't wish for it to all be over ASAP, because you won't know days like these again.

Regards

Fission_Mailed, age 19

P.S. Keep going to gigs, you are going to see Rage Against the Machine twice before you start uni, but consider ear plugs if you want to stand by the speakers.

ReputationRep:
    Dear me (age 14)

Go see a doctor and get help with your acne and social phobia/anxiety. Join a club or something and stop wasting all your time on the net. REBEL REBEL REBEL you're only young once so just do it. Work hard and keep your chin up. Life WILL get better so don't give up! Ignore those crushes, in a few years time they'll be UGLY, REPULSIVE, VOMIT INDUCING HARPIES. Enjoy things the way they are now and just love and accept yourself for who you are.

Yours Sincerely
    Yourself (age 19)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    This has to be the best thread ever.
    i agree, some really thought provoking responses posted

ReputationRep:
    Dear my Younger, less wise self.

First off, yes we are cool. The sooner you realise you are the better things will be. Do stuff that makes you happy; people come and go and will eventually get over any harm you've caused. Quit being a loner, make friends - it gets better. Saying that, people are pricks so be careful too.

Work harder in school, french aint so bad really. You will become much cleverer than most thought possible. Show off your intelligence, but not too much - girls do find it attractive, at least the right ones do. Strive to be the best you can.

On the relationship front, hold on to N, shes the best you're gna get for now at least. The attraction of a fling just aint worth it. She was literally incredibly and its a shame you only realise this after. Go out to parties, go to clubs, make friends - everything turns out ok really.

Yours sincerely, 18 year old me.

ps. hold on to your friends, you must do literally anything for them.

ReputationRep:
    I would tell an 18 year old version of myself not to get married.
    It was a mistake

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how all the letter are really, really similar.

I really wouldn't write anything, it would be like the whole "going back in time and killing your grandfather" paradox. I might turn out to be a loser after reading my (probably rubbish) advice. The little **** er is better off figuring it out in his own good time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Dear 16 year old Becca:
    Don't choose English Literature A level, you will regret it. Take maths or psychology instead.
    Don't go out with that guy who is in the army, it doesn't end well for you and you'd be better off not knowing him.
    And don't, whatever you do, get drunk and have sex then go out with your best friend. You end up hating each other.
    Love, 18 year old Becca.

ReputationRep:
    Dear me (aged 5)

When your birthday comes, tell mummy and daddy to buy you as many shares as they can in Apple. Then when Christmas comes, do the same.
    You'll see why in the next 10 years.

Me (aged 18)

ReputationRep:
    Dear younger me,

I've been presented with an opportunity to give you some advice in life. Sucks to be you though, as I think telling you anything is a bad idea.

Love Me

PS sometimes you have to blow both the cart and in the NES before Mario 3 or Excitebike will work.

Dear 16 year old self

The years to come will be hard. Don't wish on leaving high school so soon because once you leave, you'll miss it and do anything to go back. The friends who made there are amazing will stick with you for years to come (I just celebrated my 19th birthday with them!)
    Whatever you do, don't go to a college, stay at sixth form with your friends. I know your looking for freedom and new places but you'll regret it and drop out after a year and then have to start over again - DON'T PROCASINATE!

Aswell as keeping your old friends, you'll make new friends from several work places who you'll be so close to - ignore the judgment and comments off certain people at first, they'll grow to like you!

You'll make stupid mistakes, losing people you love, gain people and you'll go through a peroid where you'll feel alone and unwanted. But chin up, you take for granted how loved you are and what a great friend you are!

Though you've just had uni offers you won't feel great at the moment - you aren't even looking forward to christmas - but we both know we'll get through it
    Oh and that lad you really liked - forget about him, he doesnt care.

Love your 19 year old self

ReputationRep:
    Nice idea!

Dear me age 11,

First things first - DON'T give up playing the guitar. I know you've done pretty badly at it so far and you hardly ever practise, but in a couple of years time you will grow to love music and will definitely wish you could play the guitar!

Also, work at your confidence. You imagine it'll improve and you'll become much less shy in a few years time as you get older, but you don't. So change that - go out there and make an extra effort to be sociable. It'll make it a million times easier for you later.

Please learn a language - don't give up languages!! You'll grow to love the German language, though you won't be able to understand it much at all! Try to learn sign language too - it'll be so useful for your future job

And when you get to age 17, don't allow yourself to get sucked into the world of weight loss and calories. What began as a little idea to lose a bit of weight (which, by the way, you never had - everyone always said you have a fantastic, slim figure) will lead you to 18 months of messed-up-ness...and not only will you hurt yourself, you'll hurt your parents too. They love you. Don't do that to them. But if you can't stop it from happening...just remember, you'll come out of it. If you really try, it'll get easier.

Lastly, appreciate every single day. They go FAR too quickly, and before you know it, you'll be sitting at home on your laptop writing a letter to your former self whilst back from your first term of university.

From 19-year old you.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Squiggy
    Age 8- Keep up with swim and violin! you will regret stopping later!
    Age 12- eat less and exercise more, and don't start dying your hair. It will only end up growing back brown instead of dirty blond. Oh and make sure you take French instead of Spanish!
    Age 14- Don't switch schools and keep up with French as well as Japanese. oh and join field hockey and lacrosse.
    Age 16- Stop being a ****ing drama queen, you wont get the attention you want and you'll just end up driving people away. Focus that energy on school where it counts!
    4 months ago- stay with AP Chem and do Calc, what ever you do, do not switch into Physics. Sure it sound easy, but you'll end up with DiCosta and you wont understand a thing.

Sincerely,
    Squiggy (18) XOXO

ReputationRep:
    Dear younger self!

don't watch the series called Lost! THEY ALL DIE!
    high school will be a 5 year hell but if you survive it and sixth form, University will worth suffering through high school.
    avoid this girl called becky... in fact, avoid BEBO in general as its not worth it.
    and don't use the phone when drunk.. trust me you will understand

From your future self

ReputationRep:
    Dear My Younger Self,

Who cares if you're geeky, obsessed with sci-fi and fantasy, prefer to hang around with the guys, listen to rock/emo music and are a ballerina outside of school. Everyone's unique so don't change for anyone.

When you meet a guy at 13 just be yourself, make mistakes and have fun, you're a teenager, you're allowed too, but just repeate after me "When he does it a second time, cut him out and move on"

And finally, don't listen to what anyone else says, you know Matt Smith will be brilliant.

Yourself aged 17.

ps. Please make sure you hand your coursework in on time.
    • PS Helper

Dear me,

Life teaches you many things and you won't learn all of them the first time round. keep trusting, keep hoping and keep praying - don't give up you'll meet him in the end.

Sucking your thumb from the years 1 - 9 really wasn't worth it cos now one thumb is slightly thinner than the other which looks silly!!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.