Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Loved it!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely loved it, Natalie was amazing. I loved the parallels drawn between the swan princess and Nina, especially the bit at the end. Truly one of the best films I've seen for ages. Will definitely be picking this one up on DVD.

ReputationRep:
    this
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Seeing this tomorrow, finally!

ReputationRep:
    Love Natalie Portman in this.
    An amazing film. It's quite depressing but The Swan Lake is a depressing story lol.
    I love ballet, I wish I could do it *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    On a slightly unrelated note, I find it funny that there were so many gratuitous masturbation scenes or random lesbianism. Trying to attract the male audience? :P
    Glad you liked it, but no, those scenes are not gratuitous or to attract a male audience (they can just buy lad mags). It's central to the plot that Nina has to awaken her sensual self in order to be able to dance the black swan. This is why Thomas keeps kissing her and suggesting she masturbates. He sees her as cold, prim and virginal and he wants to awaken her desire. She gradually discovers this herself (especially after a pill) and even imagines sex with Lilly. In the final scene, we see that she has stabbed herself (symbolically killing the white swan = her innocence)

ReputationRep:
    Gratuitous sex scenes would be dicks and boobs and fannies. There wasn't even a nipple in this film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    Gratuitous sex scenes would be dicks and boobs and fannies. There wasn't even a nipple in this film.
    Yeah I didn't understand the mention of 'gratuitous' either cos there was no nudity in the whole film. Nina's exploration of sexuality is key to her transformation into the black swan and a lot of it was portrayed as visions anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow afternoon: Odeon here I come!

ReputationRep:
    Saw it on Saturday and absolutely loved it! I'm not a fan of ballet at all but the whole thing was just stunning to me. It kept me hooked from start to finish and caught me off guard quite a few times too. Natalie Portman was fantastic in it.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this today - major filmgasm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    I saw it the other day and I enjoyed it, I definitely think it is over-hyped though but it isn't a bad film at all, beautiful piece of cinema.
    Just saw it a few hours ago and I have to agree with this. I didn't love it, but it's not like the worst film and there are some good performances in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I saw this today - major filmgasm!
    Join the crowd. I nearly saw it twice in one day.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't this movie just **** with your mind.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing. Loved the clubbing scene. Didn't realise the club-music was from the Swan Lake ballet.

EDIT: Dear Swan Lake die-hards. The club music is like the bass-line beat (or something) of one of the songs from Swan Lake, slowed down and synthesised a little. It's not naff.

LOVE Darren Aronofsky. LOVE Natalie Portman.

(Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    I don't know whether I want to watch this or not.
    I love the Swan Lake Ballet, it's so beautiful.
    But this just seems to 'Hollywoodise' it.
    The Swan Lake should be kept classical, not for a psychological thriller. Or if it was to be done, I think it could have been done better.

Or am I wrong? Shall I give it a go or not?
    It's not really about Swan Lake. :erm: The ballet is just a vehicle for the much more interesting psychological aspects of theatre/the character in general.

ReputationRep:
    The Swan Lake should be kept classical, not for a psychological thriller. Or if it was to be done, I think it could have been done better.

ReputationRep:

How could you possibly know that without having seen it?

I'd definitely give it a go. Judging by this thread alone, the vast majority of people either liked or loved it. It's also had great reviews. Personally I loved it. Really, I can't think of a single reason not to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    How could you possibly know that without having seen it?

I'd definitely give it a go. Judging by this thread alone, the vast majority of people either liked or loved it. It's also had great reviews. Personally I loved it. Really, I can't think of a single reason not to see it.
    I don't know I just saw someone say they used the music of the ballet in a club scene which could be a bit naff. But you're right, I'll only know if I watch the film I guess.
    I'll probably watch it, it is a psychological thriller after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Join the crowd. I nearly saw it twice in one day.
    Same :love:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know I just saw someone say they used the music of the ballet in a club scene which could be a bit naff. But you're right, I'll only know if I watch the film I guess.
    I'll probably watch it, it is a psychological thriller after all.
    I didn't even pick up on this til I saw it in this thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.