(Original post by Atherilia)
    All My books are free that I have
    On the kindle or paperbacks? Well done on them all being free

ReputationRep:
    I like the Kindle, good price imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    On the kindle or paperbacks? Well done on them all being free
    Legally free, 70 years after the authors death books come out of copyright, so the kindle versions are often free of amazon. Compared to the price of buying all the books I have on my kindle to buying them all as a hard copy I have saved a ton of money.

Example
    Clicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atherilia)
    Legally free, 70 years after the authors death books come out of copyright, so the kindle versions are often free of amazon. Compared to the price of buying all the books I have on my kindle to buying them all as a hard copy I have saved a ton of money.

Example
    Clicky
    Oh wow that's great. Although if you can only get the classics free then I'd rather borrow them from a libary, I tend to buy the newer books in either charity shops or £2 book shop depending on how lucky I get.

ReputationRep:
    I got a kindle for my birthday, I absolutely love it!
    huge selection of free books which are out of copyright.
    I got a kindle because it was way cheaper than sony etc ebook readers and has roughly the same features.
    I think asda were/are bringing out a super cheap version but it's back lit not e ink

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I reeeeeeeeally want one. :sad:

(Original post by juju)
      Are kindles better or worse than Sony E-Readers? Bibliophile that I am, I have got far too many books lying around and there's no way I'll be able to fit them all into my room when I move into halls, so I have been contemplating getting an e-reader (despite my previous assertions that I would never purchase one). Kindle seems to be the most popular, but I prefer the feel of the Sony one.
      I have had both and found that:

- the build quality of the SONY is better than the kindle
      - the KINDLE has a far better selection of books than the sony
      - the SONY had access to library lending while the kindle did not
      - the KINDLE changes pages quicker and is easier to read from than the sony prs500
      - the KINDLE was cheaper than the sony

unless build quality is your most important consideration, or you happen to have a brilliant library that offers a large number of ebooks you like, i would go for the kindle.

ReputationRep:
      I love my Kindle. I said for ages that I wouldn't get one, but it really is amazing! The battery life is great, I've had it since Christmas and I've only charged it twice I also find that I read a lot more because it's so much easier

ReputationRep:
      Kindle has saved me more than its worth in $$$ and it won't catch fleas either. (true story!)

ReputationRep:
      Best thing about my kindle? I can just click on buttons to change pages. No need to worry about ruining the spine of the book or creasing the pages accidently in my book.

I love my kindle

ReputationRep:
      I love my kindle best thing I bought Great if your reading a series and you can get the next one just like that. Books tend to be cheaper and as people have said classic books are free. Easy to hold and once I got used to it didn't miss paperbacks as much as I thought I would. Sometimes books are realised later on kindle but sometimes you can get a book on kindle thats only out in hardback so it's a bit hit and miss timing wise.
      On a side note if your kindle breaks amazon kindle customer services are amazing! My kindle screen broke and I rang them up and they sent me a new replacment the next morning and paid the costs for DHL to come and pick up my old one even though they only had my word that I hadn't broken it ( I hadn't btw) . Go for it

ReputationRep:
      For anyone that has a Kindle, there's currently a Spring offer taking place on Amazon where you can buy a book for under £1.50. There's something like 220 books that are under £1.50 to buy until the 3rd of May.

ReputationRep:
      I’ve noticed that there is already one Kindle thread, but I decided to set up a separate one, since I have several questions to people who already own Kindle.
      I am thinking of buying one in few weeks time, but I am still in two minds whether it would be a good investment and if indeed I would make the best of it.

1. Can I conntect speakers to it Kindle ? – So that if it would read a file, I could listen to it really loud? Also Do you reckon it would be possible to place those files into MP3 player ?
      2. Can Kindle read any e-book aloud or just chosen ones?
      3. Can it also read my pdf. files?
      4. I heard it gives definitions of some words in English - does it include all words or just chosen ones?
      5. Despite the fact that there are many ebooks available on Amazon, I noticed that not all books have
      their electronic versions yet - is it also possible to download ebooks from other sites and upload on
      Kindle just as if they were bought on Amazon? [There are many sites online offering ebooks for free].
      6. When buying books on Amazon via Kindle, do I have to buy it directly via Kindle or may I also
      just buy them via my laptop and transfer to Kindle ? (I would not like to pay for Kindle internet,
      because I heard that it charges high).

ReputationRep:
      I'll answer as best as i can, don't know the answer to all your questions though.

1. Can I conntect speakers to it Kindle ? – So that if it would read a file, I could listen to it really loud? Also Do you reckon it would be possible to place those files into MP3 player ?

There is a 3mm headphone socket on the kindle, which I'm sure you can connect speakers to

2. Can Kindle read any e-book aloud or just chosen ones?

Yeah any e-book, it just a computerized voice, so some of the pronunciation can be a bit off.

This is one I don't know

4. I heard it gives definitions of some words in English - does it include all words or just chosen ones?

All kindle's come with an American and English Oxford Dictionary, which connects to your e-books, all you do is put the cursor next to the wrd and a definition should come up

5. Despite the fact that there are many ebooks available on Amazon, I noticed that not all books have
      their electronic versions yet - is it also possible to download ebooks from other sites and upload on
      Kindle just as if they were bought on Amazon? [There are many sites online offering ebooks for free].

Yes any e-book should work, but with some you may need to convert into an appropriate file for the kindle, using software such as 'Calibre'

6. When buying books on Amazon via Kindle, do I have to buy it directly via Kindle or may I also
      just buy them via my laptop and transfer to Kindle ? (I would not like to pay for Kindle internet, because I heard that it charges high).

You can buy off your laptop and transfer them, however, I would point out that Kindle internet doesn't cost anything. You can either get a Wifi Kindle (the cheaper option) and connect it to any free hotspots or you household connection, for free.
      Or alternatively, you can get the wifi + 3G kindle, this gives you the option of connecting to the internet in over 200 countries with no monthly contract or charge, only difference is the kindle cost an extra £40.

Hope some of that helps

ReputationRep:
      Thank you so much!
      Do you know by any chance whether I could also use other dictionaries - i.e. English-Spanish? Do I get to chose the dictionary or it's just the English one ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Valia99)
      Thank you so much!
      Do you know by any chance whether I could also use other dictionaries - i.e. English-Spanish? Do I get to chose the dictionary or it's just the English one ?
      You have to buy them from the Kindle store, so whatever dictionaries are available on there you can get. Can't remember if there's a Spanish one yet - there's definitely no Russian one. But they'll arrive eventually

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Valia99)
      Do you reckon it would be possible to place those files into MP3 player ?
      No, Kindle doesn't generate audio files to read your documents out loud, it just runs your text to a program which reads it out loud.
      Kindle can display pdf files, but it can't read them to you. However, it's very easy to convert pdf files to Kindle files.

ReputationRep:
      I have a question (sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd rather just ask it quick!).

Can you read Kindles in the dark? A big selling point for me would be to be able to read while my bloke's sleeping, and without having to turn the main light on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
      I have a question (sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd rather just ask it quick!).

Can you read Kindles in the dark? A big selling point for me would be to be able to read while my bloke's sleeping, and without having to turn the main light on.
      Only if you get a Kindle case that has a light in. The display isn't backlit, which makes it feel more like a book and less like a screen! My case has a light that is powered by the Kindle and pops out the back - it's strong enough to read by but not horrendously bright. I would recommend getting a case anyway: it not only protects the Kindle, but also makes it more book shaped

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zoedotdot)
      Only if you get a Kindle case that has a light in. The display isn't backlit, which makes it feel more like a book and less like a screen! My case has a light that is powered by the Kindle and pops out the back - it's strong enough to read by but not horrendously bright. I would recommend getting a case anyway: it not only protects the Kindle, but also makes it more book shaped
      Awesome, thanks very much!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.