Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confessions of a gamer: Your worst ethically questionable behaviour in computer games watch

ReputationRep:
    Just generally playing Prototype. It's virtually impossible to avoid killing civilians, so you might as well slaughter them in the streets. Punch them to death, use them as surfboards, claw them, slice them, throw them off buildings, eat them, whip them, mash them, run them over, throw cars at then, blow them up, shoot them... The list goes on.
    And searching YouTube for an example video, I came across this method I'd completely forgotten. It was so fun... (you don't even need a car - just one of your armour powers) The splatting noises were so entertaining.

I'm fairly sure the main character was supposed to be a hero...

(Original post by Lozzaa)
    Why did they do that? I mean obviously killing kids it wrong (don't know why I actually needed to say that) but what made them arbitrarily think "Oh butchering adults is fine, but KIDS? WHO WOULD DO THAT?". I've always wondered. I'm >guessing< it was to do with EULA ratings or whatever.
    I was always under the impression that it was basically because, if they had a came where you could kill children, they'd get in millions of complaints from concerned parents, and the general "VIDEO GAMES R EVIL" lobby, which they don't need any more of. In Oblivion they decided it'd be better for the immersion to just not have any children, and hope you didn't notice.

ReputationRep:
    Making money off the sugar trade in Empire Total War. We all know who was working those sugar cane fields back in the 18th century...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    Why did they do that? I mean obviously killing kids it wrong (don't know why I actually needed to say that) but what made them arbitrarily think "Oh butchering adults is fine, but KIDS? WHO WOULD DO THAT?". I've always wondered. I'm >guessing< it was to do with EULA ratings or whatever.
    It was a bit weird. I guess it was to do with ratings, kids being all extreme and stuff. It did surprise me though, as Fallout was always the game I knew where I could walk round doing anything, and then I used my best gun on some Legion Slave Kid, and it did nothing. I was like :argh:,

Could you kill kids in Fallout 3? I can't remember. I don't know if I tried to kill any of them back then. Might have to stick it on and go to Little Lamplight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    It was a bit weird. I guess it was to do with ratings, kids being all extreme and stuff. It did surprise me though, as Fallout was always the game I knew where I could walk round doing anything, and then I used my best gun on some Legion Slave Kid, and it did nothing. I was like :argh:,

Could you kill kids in Fallout 3? I can't remember. I don't know if I tried to kill any of them back then. Might have to stick it on and go to Little Lamplight.
    I bought fallout new vegas the day it came out on steam, played it for about 2 hours then got bored. I should really play it, fallout 3 was pweddy cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by methusaleh)
    I played wow and ninjad the majormodo chest from my guild. That chest dropped loots which some members of my guild had been waiting months to get.

I didn't even need the stuff I stole. I took this one Bow even though I couldnt use it. The hunter I stole it from sent me hate-mail in game, telling me how he had been waiting for months to get the bow, and how his life was over.

Then guild members kept spamming me and some challenged me to duels. Some even spat on me (in game). The hunter i stole a bow from challenged me to a duel but i declined. Instead I challenged some1 weak from the guild who i Knew I could beat.

Doing something wrong like that felt very close to committing a crime in life, and being subsequently held in the stocks. But then again, the game has become the life of many wow players.
    WoW some people are sad.

ReputationRep:
    On Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare the other day I punched a survivor (an old woman) of the zombie apocalypse off a roof and waited for the zombies to mall her to death while shouting, "EAT HER". Then shot her in the head.

ReputationRep:
    On Battlefield Bad compmany 2 , there's this guy who's well known called USMC IVAN, and well he was streaming live to a few hundred people on his ustream so me and my friends ensured everytime he was in a corner we would place ourselves there so he couldn't escape, we'd steal his kills and just generally got in his way, he was cheesed off it made me happy lol

ReputationRep:
    not knocking before I opened a door in Dragon's Lair.

ReputationRep:
    I capture small creatures and force them into intense and exhausting battles time after time for my own sadistic enjoyment. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Was a long time ago, but...

- taking the scientist into the lift in Half Life and smashing his skull open with a crow bar and watching the brains go everywhere :/

- chopping geese's heads off and watch them run around headless in Dink Smallwood

think that's it, god they're both such retro games.
    some of these confessions are seriously ****ed up lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Okay, not me.

But there is this from 4chan a couple of years ago:

LOLOL that's awesome. My thing on Fallout 3 is stealing everything I can find, particularly alcohol - the idea is that after I've done the whole map I'll have the best party in all the wasteland.

I'd rather manipulate people than kill them, I prefer to be nice, agree to do what they ask me and then double-cross them.

I'm a slaver too, of course. I wear heavy metal armour and the ghoul mask, it makes my character look like a two-bit sci-fi villain.

ReputationRep:
    Killing myself and the whole team with an Rpg/ rocket launcher on cod4 hardcore search and destroy. Honestly. I can do it for hours on and and be in tears of laughter, especially when they start messaging you.

ReputationRep:
    • Taking a cheeky two footed tackle after the whistle's been blown on FIFA.
    • Using civilians as target practice to improve my head shots with a pistol on GTA4.
    • Friendly fire on that one annoying teammate you always seem to get on GOW.

ReputationRep:
    Not that ethically bad.

But I do enjoy filling up choppers on games like Battlefield with my teammates and crashing them asap with as many teammates as possible on board.

Obviously, I'll bail out just before hand so that it doesn't count as a teamkill, but as a suicide on the part of everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    i threw the baby penguin off the ice level in super mario 64 then watched his mama jump after him

ReputationRep:
    Using starpower whenever I feel like it online on guitar hero instead of strategically as part of a band.
    Yes I know, how cheeky of me :teehee:

But yeah, nuking the hell out of everything in fallout 3 after obtaining a bucket load of them, locking the butler in the freezer, ctrl-c ctrl-v

I don't think anything could ever compared to times where I've gone on xbox live and just purposely pissed people off, cause why not? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    On Halo online I get onto a vehicle and drive to people signalling to get on by beeping. Once they're on I accelerate towards a cliff and jump off at the last minute then lol while they die.

ReputationRep:
    I think sacrificing your blind sister on Fable for a sword is one of the worst things a gamer can do, haha

ReputationRep:
    Ganking on every single MMO I've played, stolen from guild banks, tanking some bosses poorly so my team dies and I get their lootations.

ReputationRep:
    A classic guilty pleasure was removing the ladder from the swimming pool in Sims and letting my Sims drown to death in their expensive swimming pool.

Top of my list would be removing part of the track on an incline on a launched coaster on Rollercoaster Tycoon. There's nothing more satisfying than watching 40 of your paying guests being flung high into the air before exploding on impact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.