Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who chose Durham as his firm over Oxford.

Despite the fact that there are millions of people who would literally die to get an offer from Oxbridge, there are always those who are good enough to be accepted but just wouldnt want to go there because they feel it just isnt the right choice for them.....its a funny world we all live in.

ReputationRep:
    My brother rejected medicine at cambridge for medicine at manhcester. He said that pbl would suit him better and he couldnt be bothered with all the extra work you had to do at cambridge and that he wanted more of a social life

ReputationRep:
    I know a scouse lad who turned down chemical engineering to do it at Manchester. Nice bloke, said he liked the place but not the people he'd met there or the course and it seemed silly to go there for the buildings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    I know a scouse lad who turned down chemical engineering to do it at Manchester. Nice bloke, said he liked the place but not the people he'd met there or the course and it seemed silly to go there for the buildings
    I have noticed that people keep on banging on about how beautiful Oxford and Cambridge are in terms of architecture. I appreciate the influence a good environment can have on general well being, but the way people just keep on talking about it as if it's the deciding factor annoys me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    The looks I get when I say I don't know whether to go to Southampton or Sussex...
    Choose Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    Choose Southampton.
    Why? Do you go there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    I rejected em both, *****es aint got nothin on me.
    Who's the ***** in your sig?

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Who's the ***** in your sig?

:sexface:
    shenae grimes from 90210, and I'd appreciate it if you'd not use such vile words to describe her, she is a goddess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    shenae grimes from 90210, and I'd appreciate it if you'd not use such vile words to describe her, she is a goddess.
    :awesome:

Don't you participate in the act of calling/treating women in a derogatory fashion?:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I know three people who have turned down Oxbridge this last year. Medicine at Oxford turned down for UCL, Engineering at Cambridge turned down for Imperial, and NatSci at Cambridge turned down for somewhere in the States. So I guess is more common than many people think.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, she didn't get an offer for the course she wanted, got it for natsci i think, rejected it for physics at nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah both my parents did, didn't want to be part of the 'meat factory' apparently...

ReputationRep:
    I did; I realised that for engineering it wasn't so important where you were (as long as you went to a respectable university).

I opted for a more lax course and hopefully better social life - Liverpool, best decision I've ever made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House of Jonny)
    Oh yes. I know. I just wanted OP to know how you say it correctly that's all. I didnt mean to be cocky
    oh 'kay

ReputationRep:
    i know 2, one turned down physics at cambridge because she was put in one of the all girl colleges, and one turned down music at oxford cause she had an offer from juiliard in new york which i fairly undertsandle tbh.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend rejected oxford this year. But then again he did get a full ride scholarship to MIT in america, so......

ReputationRep:
    Yeah one of my mates got accepted to cambridge, but he said no because a) he lives there and knows its an incredibly boring place, and b) because it was pretty much his parents pressuring him to go and he much preferred the course at bristol

ReputationRep:
    I rejected Cambridge for Imperial (2007 entry)-Was told to do so by many people. Do not regret.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who rejected Oxford for Physics as he decided Imperial was better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That's digusting, "for the challenge". You don't see people advising users to apply to Oxbridge for the challenge do you? He took up a potential space for another, more grateful, applicant.
    Nobody is taking spaces from other applicants. Oxbridge over-offer by a small margin (except for Cambridge Maths who over-offer by a lot) because they have a rough idea of how many people will either reject their offer or not meet the conditions.

Frankly I don't see the problem with applying for the challenge. Oxbridge has the funds to run the most rigorous uni admissions system in this country. Some people like the challenge of seeing if they could have gotten through that, even if they don't really want to go.

I only really applied to Cambridge because it was expected of me, I only decided to actually apply halfway through last year. I was initially interested, but since realised I am not really interested in going, and now that I have my desired Imperial offer, I won't accept a Cambridge offer in the event I get one. But I still want to see if I get an offer! Oxbridge might want only want sincere applicants who like their course structure, tutorials/supervisions etc. but if they create a challenging admissions system, some people are going to want to take up that challenge for the sake of challenge.

"Decided at a later stage", sure... As if the Oxbridge offer wasn't worth considered due to family. :rolleyes:

The user said that he didn't go to Oxbridge due to accommodation costs. Ergo, he could've worked during the holidays and thus could have went. Don't be pedantic on me 'Rose.
    It's also probable they just didn't want to go and were using those things as acceptable reasons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.