OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May Watch

babyni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lolo_uk)
mmm true but if evry1 found it hard then they will go down
yes for harder papers the grade boundaries range around 40-42 , harder papers around 42-45
lolo_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yulyul)
I just found this the most horrible paper, the topics I spent hours revising were in the test but with one word answers and made up little of the marking points. While the questions I had believed would be one or two marks were 5+ and they were insignificant topics compared to haemoglobin and mitosis etc.
I'm desperate to apply for Dentistry next year and I worked so hard to try and pass these exams the first time!

What does everyone reckon the grade boundaries will be?

x
we all did the same not just u, i revised the potometer, fetal Hb and other stuff and none came up. this is my second time resiting it
same i was thinking to do dentistry after year 13
bubbles12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
spirometer uestions were just mean! Totally flopped that page!
yulyul
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also on the last question, i described the translocation! I realise that this is probably totally wrong but did anyone else do the same?
chingchong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ciarangc)
thats like 67%!!! it will be around 80% so 48 out of 60 for an A
yo that is the raw mark, but marks are calculated in ums and so will usually be 40 marks out of 60 for an A because these papers are very hard as answers have to be extremely specific. For other papers the g boundaries where 40-46 out of 60 for A.

I found it very hard too, had to bull **** a lot of it especially the active transport bit. And also really annoyed at the fact that i revised so much on bigger topics, like cell cycle, inspiration, etc and none of it came up! But hopefully if i can scrape an a in this paper i should be alright getting an A overall!

How did everyone find the coursework out of 40? Hopefully grade boundary goes down for that as well
darkxangel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chingchong)
yo that is the raw mark, but marks are calculated in ums and so will usually be 40 marks out of 60 for an A because these papers are very hard as answers have to be extremely specific. For other papers the g boundaries where 40-46 out of 60 for A.

I found it very hard too, had to bull **** a lot of it especially the active transport bit. And also really annoyed at the fact that i revised so much on bigger topics, like cell cycle, inspiration, etc and none of it came up! But hopefully if i can scrape an a in this paper i should be alright getting an A overall!

How did everyone find the coursework out of 40? Hopefully grade boundary goes down for that as well

i got 34/40 for coursework-hope that's an A
ciarangc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the active transport, I put H+ out of the companion cell and Hco3- ions out of the red blood cell
aedai
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ciarangc)
For the active transport, I put H+ out of the companion cell and Hco3- ions out of the red blood cell
I used the sodium potassium pump. We'd talked about it in lessons loads. I don't know exactly where it is though :P
lolo_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

i got 39/40 which is an A
aedai
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i got 39/40 which is an A
wow thats high.
I just got 28/40
dunno if thats a C or B.
lolo_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aedai)
I used the sodium potassium pump. We'd talked about it in lessons loads. I don't know exactly where it is though :P
wats the sodium pump, neva heard of it??
HazyMonsoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wat about the question on active transport where you had to write two substances that use active transport
i put:
sucrose-transported in the phloem
water and ions-transported in the xylem

i dont think its right???
Aren't water and ions transported by (facilitated) diffusion? :O
aedai
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wats the sodium pump, neva heard of it??
Well I think it exists cause we did powerpoints on and made sheets. we'll see :P
I wish I could just put my biology book in my shelf but I've got the next unit next week >.<
babyni
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aedai)
wow thats high.
I just got 28/40
dunno if thats a C or B.
i got 24/40.
Straight up G
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I put Mineral (Na+ ions) ions into root hairs
and glucose into ileum for the active transport question.

Anybody got any ideas on the 'why does the AV valve close' question?
mmsalvatore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What did people do for the Question on Adaptation of cells and tissues, for efficient Gaseous exchange. I didn't know weather to write about Alveoli or Goblet Cell/Ciliated Cell. I had No Clue what to write on that question!
Amodeus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yulyul)
Also on the last question, i described the translocation! I realise that this is probably totally wrong but did anyone else do the same?
Not entirely i don't think, since the question was asking about the start of translocation right?

I think you were meant to talk about cotransporter proteins in companion cells actively pumping H+ ions out, then pumping them back in which brings sucrose in aswell. Then the sucrose goes through the plasmodesmata into the sieve tube
Amodeus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mmsalvatore)
What did people do for the Question on Adaptation of cells and tissues, for efficient Gaseous exchange. I didn't know weather to write about Alveoli or Goblet Cell/Ciliated Cell. I had No Clue what to write on that question!
I did most of it on the alveoli then a small sentence on the cartilage in the bronchi/trachea which holds the airways open so theres little air resistance and the alveoli will be well ventilated
harmony.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I'm on 30/40 for coursework, I got full marks in both the quantitative and qualitative but only 10/20 in the evaluative which really brought my overall grade down.
mmsalvatore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amodeus)
I did most of it on the alveoli then a small sentence on the cartilage in the bronchi/trachea which holds the airways open so theres little air resistance and the alveoli will be well ventilated

I just wrote about Alveoli and 1 Sentence on Squamous cells. I doubt I will get the 5 marks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads