Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by economyst
are they a levels or predictions ?

Predictions
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Anyone know if there's a facebook group for Warwick Econ students graduating in 2012?
Reply 182
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
Maths is a key component of all our core modules, and, to some extent, it will be used in pretty much every lecture.
It will range from being pretty straight forward (the use of algebra and differentiation), to being more difficult (matrix and vectors, linear algebra, mathematical proof), but the idea is we don't simply teach you the easiest way, at the expense of the material, but we prefer to teach you the correct and rigorous way, and use more maths in the process.
The maths will go beyond that which you have done at A-Level, but we run a mathematical techniques module in first year which gets you up to speed.

Mr Warwick guy

Hypothetically speaking if someone met the STEP requirements for the Maths and Economics course and got 4A*'s at A-Level in maths, physics, economics and further maths would it be possible for someone to switch from BSc Economics to a BSc in Mathematics and Economics at the beginning of the first year?
Reply 183
Hello, I only sent off my UCAS a couple of days ago and can't help but think and worry about it! I go to an underachieving state school. I have done well in both my GCSE and A level results in comparison to the rest of my year and my schools average recieving 1A*, 7As and 4 B's. This is no where close to what others have who are also applying to Warwick like my self, but I received the best results in my sixth form centre for AS results getting 4 A's in Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics. Im predicted A*AA+a(further maths) as well as an A* in the Extended Project. Do you think my GCSEs will work against me? Sorry it's a silly question as you wouldn't know the answer but really im just seeking some reassurance :P Thank you.
Reply 184
Original post by Taj S Padda
Does that mean the University PREFERS that you take a extra A2 if you have taken 2 subjects from the same curricular area, like Further Maths and Maths. And if you do not wish to take the extra A2, you can still apply and receive a offer?

You must take a minimum of 3 A2 Levels, and then either one additional AS or A2 Level, in order to meet one of our offers. It doesn't matter whether your original 3 A2's are in a similar subject area or not, as you still need the 4th AS/A2 level regardless.

We do have a preference for A2's, as opposed to AS's, and would prefer to see a subject mix where there is not significant overlap in the corricula (such as Econ/Bus Studs)
Reply 185
Original post by funkydee
Mr Warwick guy

Hypothetically speaking if someone met the STEP requirements for the Maths and Economics course and got 4A*'s at A-Level in maths, physics, economics and further maths would it be possible for someone to switch from BSc Economics to a BSc in Mathematics and Economics at the beginning of the first year?

I think you'd need to speak to Maths about that, as you'd essentially be applying to transfer into their department (as Maths host the Maths & Econ course)
Reply 186
Original post by Kingz
Hello, I only sent off my UCAS a couple of days ago and can't help but think and worry about it! I go to an underachieving state school. I have done well in both my GCSE and A level results in comparison to the rest of my year and my schools average recieving 1A*, 7As and 4 B's. This is no where close to what others have who are also applying to Warwick like my self, but I received the best results in my sixth form centre for AS results getting 4 A's in Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics. Im predicted A*AA+a(further maths) as well as an A* in the Extended Project. Do you think my GCSEs will work against me? Sorry it's a silly question as you wouldn't know the answer but really im just seeking some reassurance :P Thank you.

Hi,
as you mention, your GCSE results are a little below what we would typically see from successful applicants to our courses, but we'd certainly be interested in learning more about your specific circumstance which would help to provide us with context when we are considering your application, and considering your past academic performance.

I would encourage you to visit the Warwick AWARDS website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/awards/ - and submit an AWARDS application form, which gives you the opportunity to explain your situation to us in more detail. We will then have this information available to us when we look over your UCAS form, and help us to make a more informed decision.

As your UCAS form has already been submitted, I would encourage you to do this as soon as possible, so we don't miss this info when your UCAS form comes through
Reply 187

Does that mean the University PREFERS that you take a extra A2 if you have taken 2 subjects from the same curricular area, like Further Maths and Maths. And if you do not wish to take the extra A2, you can still apply and receive a offer?

If you read the prospectus it says in there that if you're doing A2 Further Maths, you have to have 4 A2 subjects at A2. It's not that they prefer it but an actual requirement. I got worried too, but then again I'm only doing Further Maths at AS level as my school doesn't offer A2 further maths. I would recommend taking a 4th subject in A2 OR applying for another course that doesn't have that requirement because otherwise chances will be you won't get a place on the course and one of your choices will be wasted. Apart from that, reading through the forum we're on the same boat! Below average GCSEs,in fact I think i got the same as you. 4 A's at AS in the same subjects too. Best of luck partner..
Reply 188

Hi,
as you mention, your GCSE results are a little below what we would typically see from successful applicants to our courses, but we'd certainly be interested in learning more about your specific circumstance which would help to provide us with context when we are considering your application, and considering your past academic performance.

I would encourage you to visit the Warwick AWARDS website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/awards/ - and submit an AWARDS application form, which gives you the opportunity to explain your situation to us in more detail. We will then have this information available to us when we look over your UCAS form, and help us to make a more informed decision.

As your UCAS form has already been submitted, I would encourage you to do this as soon as possible, so we don't miss this info when your UCAS form comes through

Thank you, I'll get that done right away and sent off today. Lastly, when are offers usually offered?
Reply 189
Original post by Kingz
If you read the prospectus it says in there that if you're doing A2 Further Maths, you have to have 4 A2 subjects at A2. It's not that they prefer it but an actual requirement. I got worried too, but then again I'm only doing Further Maths at AS level as my school doesn't offer A2 further maths. I would recommend taking a 4th subject in A2 OR applying for another course that doesn't have that requirement because otherwise chances will be you won't get a place on the course and one of your choices will be wasted. Apart from that, reading through the forum we're on the same boat! Below average GCSEs,in fact I think i got the same as you. 4 A's at AS in the same subjects too. Best of luck partner..

Hi,

the physical prospectus contains information from the previous application cycle (information had to be submitted to it in November 2010, for the 2012 prospectus), with the caveat that it may change at the start of the new application cycle.

In this case, as I mention in the opening post (and on the economics department website), we have changed the Further Maths requirement, so as it classes as any other AS/A2 level subject, and we do not require you to do 4 A2's if you are doing A2 Further Maths.
Reply 190
Original post by Kingz
Lastly, when are offers usually offered?

Offers will be made at various times, but depend on how early you submit an application to us.
mr. warwick representative, when should i expect to hear from Warwick if i have submitted my application in early september (10th)
Reply 192
Original post by robert jones
mr. warwick representative, when should i expect to hear from Warwick if i have submitted my application in early september (10th)

We are just getting round to the first batch of applications, so hopefully you should hear soon, but I wouldn't wish to put a timeframe on it, as there are several stages to the process and each one requires careful attention.
Reply 193
Hi,

How much weighting to you place on A-level predictions?
For example, if there were two people both with 4 A's at AS in the same subjects, but one person was predicted 4 A*'s yet the other person was predicted 4 A's would the first person be at a significant advantage?

The reason for asking this is that my school is being very strict on handing out A* predictions (+95%), yet I have heard of people who have just scraped A's being predicted A*s.

Thanks for your help

Jack
Reply 194
We are just getting round to the first batch of applications, so hopefully you should hear soon, but I wouldn't wish to put a timeframe on it, as there are several stages to the process and each one requires careful attention.

Thanks for the update. Is it from all departments or only specific departments have started giving out offers?
Reply 195
Original post by jacky23
Hi,

How much weighting to you place on A-level predictions?
For example, if there were two people both with 4 A's at AS in the same subjects, but one person was predicted 4 A*'s yet the other person was predicted 4 A's would the first person be at a significant advantage?

The reason for asking this is that my school is being very strict on handing out A* predictions (+95%), yet I have heard of people who have just scraped A's being predicted A*s.

Thanks for your help

Jack

Hi,
we take the school's predictions as an accurate representation of their belief that you will obtain the specified grades at A2 Level, so they do form a part of our overall evaluation process when we are considering an application. That said, the relative magnitude of their impact on an admissions decision cannot be specified in isolation from the specific application being made, as it will depend on a wide range of things on any given application as to how concerned we are about someone being predicted 4 A's as opposed to 4 A*'s, for example.
Reply 196
Original post by mpc1
Thanks for the update. Is it from all departments or only specific departments have started giving out offers?

I really can't speak to how other departments are handling their admissions processes, so wouldn't want to give you a guess in absence of confirmed information.

You said that you are going to work on getting your decisions out earlier than you have done in the past (thank you). But are you going to use a system where, if you are not sure about a candidate, then you will hold onto the application until all the applications are in in January, or will you try and make all decisions within, for example, two months (arbitrary figure).

Really appreciate that you're doing this, so thank you.
Reply 198
Original post by Pancakeman123
You said that you are going to work on getting your decisions out earlier than you have done in the past (thank you). But are you going to use a system where, if you are not sure about a candidate, then you will hold onto the application until all the applications are in in January, or will you try and make all decisions within, for example, two months (arbitrary figure).

Really appreciate that you're doing this, so thank you.

Hi,
Our aim is to make a definitive decision, one way or another, quicker this year than we did last year, and part of that will involve "holding" less candidates than we did last year. I would imagine there will still be instances where we will wish to hold candidates for a period of time, but we wish to reduce situations where we are simply holding people because a better application might/might not come along
Reply 199

Hi,
Our aim is to make a definitive decision, one way or another, quicker this year than we did last year, and part of that will involve "holding" less candidates than we did last year. I would imagine there will still be instances where we will wish to hold candidates for a period of time, but we wish to reduce situations where we are simply holding people because a better application might/might not come along

Some universities say that Economics at A Level is a desirable subject, but I found no such mention on your website? Is this/is this not the case, along with compulsory Mathematics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending