Turn on thread page Beta

Africa will NEVER be wealthy. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why do you blame the industrialized countries though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob dylan)
    If the rest of the world didnt rip Africa off and actually paid them the correct price for their natural resources, then that money could be used to found businesses and develop Africa.
    If the rest of the world (We, us, you) didn't rip Africa off, then we would not have the lifestyle we have today. I mean look at our backwards system, we're on the verge of collapse as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate the disgusting state of affairs the world is in. But just make sure you know it's our countries that are doing this, and our leaders have always been willing to sacrifice others for our own country.

It's not good, but our entire world relies on it not changing. It would take a cataclysmic global economic break down before our glorious leaders relinquished their hold on the third world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sclez1)
    I don't, I'm making it simple for you. The only solution is to give aid, no matter the complications. The complications of any other solution are far, far worse.

Of course, If you genuinely don't care about anyone but yourself then you can't be convinced, but then you're hardly human to hold an opinion.
    Millions and millions of our budjet is already being spent on foreign Aid throughout the world.
    Frankly, I'm not sure what more people expect from the government.

I hope this isn't taken too harshly, but I don't think there's the individual determination in most Africans to lead to them to stand up on their own feet.

Until most African individuals offer effort, determination and less personal greed, their problems will be impossible to tackle, even if the whole world put every penny into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Millions and millions of our budjet is already being spent on foreign Aid throughout the world.
    Frankly, I'm not sure what more people expect from the government.

I hope this isn't taken too harshly, but I don't think there's the individual determination in most Africans to lead to them to stand up on their own feet.

Until most African individuals offer effort, determination and less personal greed, their problems will be impossible to tackle, even if the whole world put every penny into it.
    I completely agree, but I think we need to give them long term aid, education, as the step towards that.

ReputationRep:
    Well it won't if China milks all of its resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicy)
    lets not be racist
    sorry but that does not make sense! why would I be racial about a place where I was born?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_)
    sorry but that does not make sense! why would I be racial about a place where I was born?
    You can still be racist about your own race. Just like people in interracial relationships can be racist. It's not so clear-cut as to say "I'm white, so I respect my race" (or whatever your race is, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sclez1)
    I completely agree, but I think we need to give them long term aid, education, as the step towards that.
    You need to link aid to birth control, maximum two per women. Otherwise the population will continue to explode (100 million in 1900, 770 million in 2005, and projected 2 billion by 2050). This will lead to an exhaustion of their resources and likely further famines & conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)

Agreed, although the reality is that the population may not have enough of the traits that were selected for in European and Asian environments. As UC Davis economist Greg Clark writes:

In my recent book, A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World I argue two things. First that all societies remained in a state I label the “Malthusian economy” up until the onset of the Industrial Revolution around 1800. In that state crucially the economic laws governing all human societies before 1800 were those that govern all animal societies. Second that was thus subject to natural selection throughout the Malthusian era, even after the arrival of settled agrarian societies with the Neolithic Revolution.

The Darwinian struggle that shaped human nature did not end with the Neolithic Revolution but continued right up until the Industrial Revolution. But the arrival of settled agriculture and stable property rights set natural selection on a very different course. It created an accelerated period of evolution, rewarding with reproductive success a new repertoire of human behaviors – patience, self-control, passivity, and hard work – which consequently spread widely.

And we see in England, from at least 1250, that the kind of people who succeeded in the economic system – who accumulated assets, got skills, got literacy – increased their representation in each generation. Through the long agrarian passage leading up to the Industrial Revolution man was becoming biologically more adapted to the modern economic world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    Agreed, positions of power in africa are passed down from father to son and vice versa. All those who try to clean things up are swiftly assassinated, money that is supposed to be used on development is spent on lavish houses and material things.. Africans are very patriotic, but the elite in the continent do not share this patriotism...

Another reason is that african nations are not colluding they are competing against each other, i can bet on it, that if they all took a stance against these cheats and collectively raised the prices of their resources, they would be much better off.. This may never happen though because there is a huge distrust amongst blacks, which i think goes back to the slave trade where blacks sold each other to the white man...

The same thing has pretty much happened to every other civilisation on Earth. Granted.. it was a very long time ago, but the point stands! Things probably won't change in our lifetime, but you never know. All it takes is a very small group, or even an individual to change everything. India wouldn't have been the same without Gandhi, Russia might not have become communist without Lenin, USA might still be under British rule if not for George Washington, and a whole lot of other examples that I can't be bothered writing down.

I think though.. revolutions ALWAYS have to come from the inside, so other countries trying to help politically in African countries, doesn't really do much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    Agreed, although the reality is that the population may not have enough of the traits that were selected for in European and Asian environments. As UC Davis economist Greg Clark writes:
    An incredible point of view on recent human evolution.

ReputationRep:
    Genes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    An incredible point of view on recent human evolution.
    Yeah, it's certainly interesting. I'd recommend the book 'The 10,000 Year Explosion' which Hsu also discusses. I bought it a year or so ago and it's a good read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Africa is a CONTINENT
    I don't understand why peeps are negging me.
    You've been negged because the OP doesn't say it's a country or not a continent in any way.

Your post is somewhat pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tif49)
    One day, Africa will rise above all other nations on this earth.

That will of course be after the world has destroyed itself in a nuclear holocaust.

Africa won't be touched though, as how many enemies do Africa have? Therefore Africa will be able to advance further than the rest. Soon.
    hmm, so once everyone else on the planet is dead, apart from Africans, there will be no currency, natural resources will have no value but to the people in Africa, there will be no aid (food, medicine, agricultural, armed forces etc), no assistance, and no infrastructure.

So how is this a good thing? Do you really think Africa could survive without the persistent help of the whole of the rest of the world? How often do we wipe the debt clean? Left to their own devices it would only become more corrupt, and more inter-state Wars would erupt. No NATO or UN to police the 'democracy', there's a million Gaddafi's waiting to seize power and exploit the people of Africa.

It's not developed (yet) for good reason, the inhospitable climates and terrains, lack of education, religion, and greed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    You've been negged because the OP doesn't say it's a country or not a continent in any way.

Your post is somewhat pointless.
    No its not because op implied that it was a singular state rather than individual states.

ReputationRep:
    Africa's geography history of colonial rule have prevented the spread of African societies, technology and empires throughout the continent. The fact that many African societies were hunter gatherer (therefore not in need of advanced technology to maintain their lifestyles) meant that when faced with technologically advanced farming societies (be they European, Arab, or from within Africa itself) they're immediately crushed either through warfare or subjugation.

There are still parts of Africa which have experienced periods of prosperity and advancement. Egypt for one, and Sudan. Of course when the Europeans came and started dividing it up, nicking the resources and replacing the existing political systems with inefficient duplicates of their own then things started to get messy. Of course it's not as cut and dry as that so I recommend reading some history books, as I'm doing atm would you believe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Branston Boy!*)
    Africa's geography history of colonial rule have prevented the spread of African societies, technology and empires throughout the continent. The fact that many African societies were hunter gatherer (therefore not in need of advanced technology to maintain their lifestyles) meant that when faced with technologically advanced farming societies (be they European, Arab, or from within Africa itself) they're immediately crushed either through warfare or subjugation.

There are still parts of Africa which have experienced periods of prosperity and advancement. Egypt for one, and Sudan. Of course when the Europeans came and started dividing it up, nicking the resources and replacing the existing political systems with inefficient duplicates of their own then things started to get messy. Of course it's not as cut and dry as that so I recommend reading some history books, as I'm doing atm would you believe!
    The OP was refering to black Africa i.e. Sub saharan Africa, not Northern Africa, which is made up of Arabs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teknik)
    The OP was refering to black Africa i.e. Sub saharan Africa, not Northern Africa, which is made up of Arabs.
    Well as I said, the hunter gatherer problem played a part as well as the fact that unlike northern Africa they weren't in close proximity to other continents therefore the spread of ideas and technology was slower. also technology tends to spread along an east/west axid rather than a north/south one, mostly due to differences in climate (a nice little fact gleaned from Jared Diamond's 'Guns Germs and Steel', alongside the reason for why we use QWERRTY keyboards )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Branston Boy!*)
    Well as I said, the hunter gatherer problem played a part as well as the fact that unlike northern Africa they weren't in close proximity to other continents therefore the spread of ideas and technology was slower. also technology tends to spread along an east/west axid rather than a north/south one, mostly due to differences in climate (a nice little fact gleaned from Jared Diamond's 'Guns Germs and Steel', alongside the reason for why we use QWERRTY keyboards )
    Many parts of India are hotter than Africa so I would not take guns, germs and steel as gospel. I will also add that Europeans contributed much knowledge to sub saharan Africa including modern technology, science, engineering, infrastructure, medicine, industry economic philosophy, world trade, and agricultural methods that feed the whole southern continent.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.