Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clever people in the navy/armed forces...... is it really worth it?? watch

• CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Here comes that whole big argument again, but who said I want FJ?
    It's the same for anything DJ. QFIs won't stand for it, and you could end up flying a mahogany bomber quicker than you think.

Your attitude is constantly assessed through training.

Not only that, but a unsavory attitude wouldn't make for an easy time amongst squadron mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    My S3300c:

'McLachlan is a confident and intelligent rating and has met all requirements of him, both as a team member and leader. McLachlan is the right calibre of person for Service. His decision to leave is unfortunate but fully supported. McLachlan is recommended to re enter at a later date as a Naval Officer.'

Down the right, all those little boxes of required/ achieved, I achieved maximum in all.
    So why did you join at such a low rank if you know you're soo much better?

I could enrol at some ****ty college and get distinctions in all sorts of pikey qualifications as long as I could wipe my own arse? What's your point?

If your OJAR says the same in 2-3 years with a recommendation for promotion then you can start sucking your own **** (again, probably..), but not based on that.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Let's not get too abusive, or I'll have to put my mod hat on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Chief Petty Officer's Barral boy [Tick] with merit
    Brown Nose the Aircrew [Tick] destinction

I'm sorry I have to go now - I have a Chapter in Air Power Leadership I have to read for my Initial Officer Training. Also I'm very tired I've ben at Duxford today showing my 2 year old all the a/c and explaining that daddy has to go away for a while because he's going to learn to fly them. What's that DJ, you're not going to be comming on any initial Officer Training any time soon?

Oh I almost forgot to mention, on that book I was reading - Howieson and Kahn, 'Leadership, Management and Command: the Officer's Trinity', are quite explicit in what attributes to good and bad Officer leadership styles; guess what , arrogance in Officers came bottom of the list.

ReputationRep:
    sorry bh, I'd wrtten that before you mentioned the mod hat
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    How long now GR4? (until IOT)

ReputationRep:
    12 days

ReputationRep:
    A week next sunday.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Bloody hell, that's exciting.

I may have to pop down and see you lot when you're allowed out :p:

ReputationRep:
    Remember he's a jock, he might get you done for discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Hmph, I had a reply, but whoops and clicked CTRL + C instead of CTRL + V, and I can't be arsed typing anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Remember he's a jock, he might get you done for discrimination.
    A reply to this?

ReputationRep:
    Hmph, I had a reply, but whoops and clicked CTRL + C instead of CTRL + V, and I can't be arsed typing anymore.
    '[Senior Air power Officers] have defined their professional standing primarily through their technical competence'
    Stephens, A. 'Command in the Air' p.3

ReputationRep:
    I've read through this thread and can say only one thing; djmarkmclachlan will make a poor officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coughsyrup)
    I've read through this thread and can say only one thing; djmarkmclachlan will make a poor officer.
    You're bit nasty aren't you!

ReputationRep:
    No, I really don't think so. I can't imagine anyone respecting or following a person so keen about autofellatio. Officers need character, don't confuse that with conceitedness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR4pilot)
    With all due respect mate, you don't have the feintest idea what you're talking about - how can you for an instant believe that you can decided on a definition of arrogance that does not concur with that of the dictionary. Without intending any offence blokes with PhD's in English Language wrote the definitions and someone currently working towards their A levels has not even the remotest authority to impose their own understanding on it.

I'm glad you don't care what I think, or others; it'll be great when you don't care what your QFI thinks or what your OC thinks! As I said Bold Pilots mate, you can't make Captain whe your dead from pigheaddedness. there're plenty of cases of types like you getting a nylon letdown (if they're lucky) for their attitude.
    I didn't give a definition, nor am I sitting A Levels.

(Original post by Raptor)
    Don't worry, I fear the DJ will not get anywhere near a commission. Afterall, it's hardly an activity fit for an officer is it... DJ'ing
    What you think is irrelivent, you won't be sitting at the other side of the desk.

It's not an activity fit for being an officer? Oh shut up, ******. What a stupid statement.

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    Comradrie is a very big thing in the forces. Even if you are a single seat mate, there are dozens of people who you need to get airborne. People from the linemen to ATC. No one can operate without the support of other people in other branches.

There is no room for arrogance, or people who wish to stand alone. There are plently of people who can take someone down a peg or two, and although some attitude would be excused amongst junior ranks, it most certainly wouldn't be with Officers. Officers are there to lead by example.
    I know, I've been in. I also know how to work as part of a team, without people disliking me. I never said I stand alone, or I wish to. This is something you lot have snapped up from nowhere. At no time did I say I think I'm better than anyone else. I said I'm confident, and as we can clearly see, I know the difference between that fine line from confidence to arrogance - and I lean both ways. Also, I met a lot more arrogant officers than I did rates, just a point worth noting.

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    It's the same for anything DJ. QFIs won't stand for it, and you could end up flying a mahogany bomber quicker than you think.

Your attitude is constantly assessed through training.

Not only that, but a unsavory attitude wouldn't make for an easy time amongst squadron mates.
    I could end up the same by playing the nice guy, just as easily.

I know.

I'm a strong person, people either like or me or they don't, and I don't care what those who don't have to say about me. It's part of my build up. I'm also very popular when people meet me, despite what you's may think.

(Original post by Raptor)
    So why did you join at such a low rank if you know you're soo much better?

I could enrol at some ****ty college and get distinctions in all sorts of pikey qualifications as long as I could wipe my own arse? What's your point?

If your OJAR says the same in 2-3 years with a recommendation for promotion then you can start sucking your own **** (again, probably..), but not based on that.
    I don't think I need to tell you my reasons. Read this: I DIDN'T SAY I AM BETTER THAN ANYONE. Got it? Stop making that up, I've continually said I am not any better than anyone else. I succeed when I try, it's what I do, I'm not better as a person than anyone else, and have not claimed to be.

****ty? Whatever. You talk about my being arrogant, have a look at your own attitude.

Chief Petty Officer's Barral boy [Tick] with merit
    Brown Nose the Aircrew [Tick] destinction

I'm sorry I have to go now - I have a Chapter in Air Power Leadership I have to read for my Initial Officer Training. Also I'm very tired I've ben at Duxford today showing my 2 year old all the a/c and explaining that daddy has to go away for a while because he's going to learn to fly them. What's that DJ, you're not going to be comming on any initial Officer Training any time soon?

Oh I almost forgot to mention, on that book I was reading - Howieson and Kahn, 'Leadership, Management and Command: the Officer's Trinity', are quite explicit in what attributes to good and bad Officer leadership styles; guess what , arrogance in Officers came bottom of the list.
    Sure thing.

Ehm, I hope not. Seeing as I'm set on the RN, it'd be unlikely you'd see me on IOT. Ignorant ****. Good luck with flying all those aircraft, break a leg, eh?

Mmm, best have a look at what they have then, 'cause there are enough of them in service, and looks like they've got a few more coming soon.

(Original post by DPM)
    A reply to this?
    Nah, didnt see that at the time. I don't take offence to the jock humour btw.

'[Senior Air power Officers] have defined their professional standing primarily through their technical competence'
    Stephens, A. 'Command in the Air' p.3
    Yeah, very good.

Wither a poor officer or an excellent officer, an officer he will make.

No, I really don't think so. I can't imagine anyone respecting or following a person so keen about autofellatio. Officers need character, don't confuse that with conceitedness.
    I've got enough character to go around.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't give a definition, nor am I sitting A Levels.

What you think is irrelivent, you won't be sitting at the other side of the desk.

It's not an activity fit for being an officer? Oh shut up, ******. What a stupid statement.

I know, I've been in. I also know how to work as part of a team, without people disliking me. I never said I stand alone, or I wish to. This is something you lot have snapped up from nowhere. At no time did I say I think I'm better than anyone else. I said I'm confident, and as we can clearly see, I know the difference between that fine line from confidence to arrogance - and I lean both ways. Also, I met a lot more arrogant officers than I did rates, just a point worth noting.

I could end up the same by playing the nice guy, just as easily.

I know.

I'm a strong person, people either like or me or they don't, and I don't care what those who don't have to say about me. It's part of my build up. I'm also very popular when people meet me, despite what you's may think.

I don't think I need to tell you my reasons. Read this: I DIDN'T SAY I AM BETTER THAN ANYONE. Got it? Stop making that up, I've continually said I am not any better than anyone else. I succeed when I try, it's what I do, I'm not better as a person than anyone else, and have not claimed to be.

****ty? Whatever. You talk about my being arrogant, have a look at your own attitude.

Sure thing.

Ehm, I hope not. Seeing as I'm set on the RN, it'd be unlikely you'd see me on IOT. Ignorant ****. Good luck with flying all those aircraft, break a leg, eh?

Mmm, best have a look at what they have then, 'cause there are enough of them in service, and looks like they've got a few more coming soon.

Nah, didnt see that at the time. I don't take offence to the jock humour btw.

Yeah, very good.

Wither a poor officer or an excellent officer, an officer he will make.

I've got enough character to go around.
    You like writing a lot don't you.

ReputationRep:
    The very nature of arrogance, is that one doesn't worry about what others think.
    Is a definition.

Seeing as I'm set on the RN, it'd be unlikely you'd see me on IOT
    You'll notice I said 'any initial Officer Training' the any and lower case 'i' was the clue there mate.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I haven't read all this thread so sorry if i miss something (there is so much and I haven't been here a while!!) but it seems that people are getting quite aggressive over what basically seems to be whether arrogance can be confused with over confidence and the such? Would it be fair to say that, to degree (please note this), that it is your attitude in the work place that is most important in the military - if you want to at like a **** to everyone in the bar, then fine as long as you recognise the time and place etc, and when you go into work you behave and communicate proffesionally and in the best interest of those you are working with? i think everyone can be percieved as arrogant by one person or another and I think everyone who is in the forces is naturally confident - these may get mixed at times. I also think that on a forum such as this you CAN NOT make a full and proper judgement on anyone, their abilities or their potential. Perhaps this discussion should focus on the importance of perspective instead of what is and isn't classed as a definition and who's making them?

And just for the record, I did see a few comments about A-levels/qualifications etc... persoanally, although I may laugh at my own and the relevance they have on my life/proffesional development, when i sat my A levels I worked extremly hard at them, I learnt skills about planning, prioritising, creativity, contingency planning, whilst being a 16/17/18 year old, which isn't the easiest ride in itself. I have 3 A levels and am proud of that, my bro has a ND and i'm proud of that. I do not for one minute think that these have more benfits than serving in the forces straight from school, obviously all you bods who did so will have far more military experiance than I do right now but I think that A levels shouldn't be dissed quite so much, certainly not "****ty" or "mickey mouse" - those of you sitting them right now should continue to work hard and be proud of your achievements. those of you who prefer and chose a different route, perhaps give them the respect for the effort, time and commitment invested in the persons own drive to learn and develop?

I have fine art, eng lit and comm studies (bit like media) a levels and a degree in equine science... all things going well, I'll be on IOT 4 so I must of learnt something, even if it was simply a case of developing personal skills if nothing else...?

"hopes down off soap box" sorry can't myself and for the record, i really enjoyed my studies and learnt **** loads of stuff as well as developed skills and what not - its just different to what you lot know!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.