Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...and sociology perhaps?? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blone_bomb)
    ooo your from croydon and lewisham! thats so close, im from sydenham.
    we're all neighbours..yey ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghetto_faboulus)
    we're all neighbours..yey ^_^
    everybody needs good neighbours..with a little understanding.. u culd find the perfect friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambista)
    Hi guys! My name is Marie, I'm 20 and will be studying Anthropology at Sussex. Is any one else doing anthropology?
    I am a Londoner, hate to say it but I really do enjoy eating meat, like to paint and dance samba.
    Going to to Sussex as I need to escape London's pollution.
    Wahey!.. a samba dancer! I play samba percussion, mainly caxia/rep!.. we should definitely start up a society!

ReputationRep:
    Greetings.....I'm studying Music Informatics (basically Music & Computer Science) - i've an unconditional place and I've been living in Brighton for three months already as a result...

....and I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambista)
    Hi guys! My name is Marie, I'm 20 and will be studying Anthropology at Sussex. Is any one else doing anthropology?
    I am a Londoner, hate to say it but I really do enjoy eating meat, like to paint and dance samba.
    Going to to Sussex as I need to escape London's pollution.
    I can dance um porceno Samba, wish i could dance more with these hot brazilian girls who shake their arses like you wouldnt believe. Have you ever heard of Forro or funky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyP)
    ah awesome..ur very welcome to crash on my floor freshers week :P don knw the area but brighton seafront sounds awesome. positive thinking is the onlything keeping me sane...and trying to build pursuasion techniqe for the admission tutors next thurs lol i really hope my accent dunznt slip- im gonna do my best to keep it so if u meet me just accept the diversity of my voice and dont judge me :P
    im not strange really
    x sammy
    cuwl, i will probs take you up on that invite!! ditto for you when we venture into the city for clubbing!!
    i will try my hardest not to judge you,lol!!
    it is less than a week before our fate, i cannot SLEEP!
    great idea im guna work on persuasion!!
    time is going so slowly!! grrr!

x Lauren x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledge)
    Greetings.....I'm studying Music Informatics (basically Music & Computer Science) - i've an unconditional place and I've been living in Brighton for three months already as a result...

....and I love it!
    omg have i found another fresher who is braving living in the city?? please say i have??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoea85)
    Hey Marie, same here, can't wait to breathe in some fresh air for a change! What part of London you from? I'm South
    heya, there are Sooo many ppl on here that are doing psych! im Lauren, hopefully doing it if the grades are good!!
    sooooo nervous!!!!

hope to cya freshers week!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcharles8)
    omg have i found another fresher who is braving living in the city?? please say i have??:confused:
    You certainly have

I've been here about three months...im living just off Lewes road and working about 30 seconds walk from Audio...so pretty close to your flat:p:

I wouldn't have any worries about living off campus...it's great in Brighton. After a couple of months you'll be very glad you chose it!

I reckon all it means is that we'll have to work a bit harder in Fresher's week....not too big a price to pay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledge)
    You certainly have

I've been here about three months...im living just off Lewes road and working about 30 seconds walk from Audio...so pretty close to your flat:p:

I wouldn't have any worries about living off campus...it's great in Brighton. After a couple of months you'll be very glad you chose it!

I reckon all it means is that we'll have to work a bit harder in Fresher's week....not too big a price to pay
    well im prepared to work as hard as i need, im thinking the nightlife will be worth it!! what course r you doing?? you are the only other person i have found!!! r u in a shared house?? im going into a shared flat! how is the nightlife???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcharles8)
    well im prepared to work as hard as i need, im thinking the nightlife will be worth it!! what course r you doing?? you are the only other person i have found!!! r u in a shared house?? im going into a shared flat! how is the nightlife???
    I'm going to study Music informatics - a cross between Music and Computer Science

I'm getting really excited about it now - and also a bit nervous, especially as i'm quite 'mature' at age 26!!

The night life is unique in Brighton. What are you into - and where are you from? I moved here from up north and the pubs have much more atmosphere and character down here - although the beer is poor and expensive!!

There are loads of clubs but if you tell me what you're into i'll impart my (fairly limited) knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Oh - and being one minute from the beach is priceless in summer

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ledge]Oh - and being one minute from the beach is priceless in summer[/QUOTe
    well im from worthing literally down the road, but i always wanid to live in brighton, the scene for me as i am a bit of a bi gal, have heard it is a pretty awesome place to live if your that way inclined!
    have been down a few times but the taxi is way too expensive!! so im waitin to party till i move.
    im sure being 26 will not even be noticed amonst the antics freshers week, i can,t wait!
    im pretty much into all music, can enjoy anything! so spill your knowledge o wise one!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=lcharles8]
    (Original post by ledge)
    Oh - and being one minute from the beach is priceless in summer[/QUOTe
    well im from worthing literally down the road, but i always wanid to live in brighton, the scene for me as i am a bit of a bi gal, have heard it is a pretty awesome place to live if your that way inclined!
    have been down a few times but the taxi is way too expensive!! so im waitin to party till i move.
    im sure being 26 will not even be noticed amonst the antics freshers week, i can,t wait!
    im pretty much into all music, can enjoy anything! so spill your knowledge o wise one!
    Well im not that way inclined but Kemptown seems to be the place to be for any LBGT happenings. I went to Pride festival last weekend (did you go?) in Preston Park....it was fatter than I possibly thought it could be...tens of thousands of ppl and a true mini festival minutes from the centre of Brighton great laugh whether you're straight gay bi whatever.

There's loads of club nights...and free parties...especially on the beach and around devil's dyke. They're fun whatever you're into.

I am into my real ale...call me an old giffer if you like...and I would particularly recommend the Evening Star which is just a minute's walk from the mainline station. Amazing beer and one of the cheapest pints in B'ton too

If I was to pick a negative...I love my techno and electro.....I have to go to London for that really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirly)
    what IS anthropology? I've heard people mentioning it and I've still got no clue what it actually is
    If Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour, and Sociology is the study of society, then Anthropology is the study of humanity in general. It tends to focus on the "unwritten rules of society", participant-observation (with the anthropologists joining in with the people they are studying), and ethnography (the act of 'writing up' ones findings, and working out what is and what isn't important).

Sussex offers Cultural / Social Anthropology, which focuses on culture. In the first year, I looked at areas such as:
    - the social role of Hindu temple festivals in Indian villages
    - the relationship between politics and ideas of witchcraft in West Africa
    - group identity amongst street performers and buskers in Brighton
    - race, poverty and fortified housing in LA and Sao Paulo

In the coming year, we look at things like
    - grassroots political movements
    - social exchange (the rules of gift-giving, trade, etc.)
    - different family structures in various societies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoea85)
    Hey Marie, same here, can't wait to breathe in some fresh air for a change! What part of London you from? I'm South
    I'm from South as well- Clapham, do you know it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    If Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour, and Sociology is the study of society, then Anthropology is the study of humanity in general. It tends to focus on the "unwritten rules of society", participant-observation (with the anthropologists joining in with the people they are studying), and ethnography (the act of 'writing up' ones findings, and working out what is and what isn't important).

Sussex offers Cultural / Social Anthropology, which focuses on culture. In the first year, I looked at areas such as:
    - the social role of Hindu temple festivals in Indian villages
    - the relationship between politics and ideas of witchcraft in West Africa
    - group identity amongst street performers and buskers in Brighton
    - race, poverty and fortified housing in LA and Sao Paulo

In the coming year, we look at things like
    - grassroots political movements
    - social exchange (the rules of gift-giving, trade, etc.)
    - different family structures in various societies

from your description it seem as though it's very close to cultural studies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangerousdanp)
    I can dance um porceno Samba, wish i could dance more with these hot brazilian girls who shake their arses like you wouldnt believe. Have you ever heard of Forro or funky.
    Eu posso de dancar um poucinho de Forro, eu gosto muito de Funk Carioca!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenaughtyjoker)
    Wahey!.. a samba dancer! I play samba percussion, mainly caxia/rep!.. we should definitely start up a society!
    we should definately start up a society! Where did you learn to play?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.