Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Design tech (unit 6) - research paper watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahodder)
    could you please tell us the source of these images (childrens anthropometrics) for proving research in the exam?

Ps. Thank you, they're perfect.
    I think they are from a book my teacher gave us them so not to sure really..... but there is very similar info in 'The Measure of Man and Woman Human Factors in Design'

also has anyone got a link for a past paper and mark scheme please.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey! for the representr and illustrate your solutioin part, is it just to produce a detail drawing and a cutting list like in pg 324 in the edexcel resistant material text book????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roadkillhat)

also has anyone got a link for a past paper and mark scheme please.

Thanks
    This is th edexcel website, it has specimen papers on it with mark schemes
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gce/dt/adv/9094/

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Ere is some more Anthropometrics data for children.

Please note that on the actual design paper it says children from 0-5 should be researched. This anthropometrics data is for children up to the age of 36months only.

I think it’s still relevant for the unit 6 design paper.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attached some anthropometrics for 0-5 of hopfully suitible stuff.

All thanks to the producers of the data (http://www.itl.nist.gov/iaui/ovrt/projects/anthrokids/)
    and
    http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...man_sizes.html
    for providing good explanations.

not leaving it late =). hopfully find time to put together my ideas.

Good Luck all only 2 days!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt anthro data 0-5.txt (3.0 KB, 177 views)
  2. File Type: txt british trolly isos.txt (1.5 KB, 230 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, havent been back here to check in a while. I've nearly completed everything up to development and by the end of today I should have *fingers crossed* a complete project ready to be gone over and adjusted tomorrow. I will go to a friends house later this evening and scan in the:
    Brainstorm
    Specification
    Initial ideas

If anyone would like any help on the development and anything from there on in the project feel free to post here and I'll have a shot at helping solve your problems.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Ive just though of an idea that would be really easy to change and manipulate according to what they add into the specification on the day. Its based around adding components onto a structure by simply clipping on what you need for the day. Parts consist of either a structural seat for a child between the ages 0-1, 1-2, or toddler ages and a box for storing the parents shopping.
    You can also manipulate the design for making it fold down flat pack maybe for putting in the car etc but taking of the handle. Its not a very good looking design but it fit the specifications etc, and works very well.

Look forward to hearing from you on what u think

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  117.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    hi there guys, would any of you guys mind putting a copy of the full 6 pages completed?
    thnks

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i have problem writing a cutting list. The main material of my final design is GRP (fiber glass), how can i write demension for GRP? its just fibers!!!?? Also how can i write the demension for a shopping basket, its contruct by many strip of stainless steal or aluminium rod and bend by using a mould!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwoo)
    hey guys, i have problem writing a cutting list. The main material of my final design is GRP (fiber glass), how can i write demension for GRP? its just fibers!!!?? Also how can i write the demension for a shopping basket, its contruct by many strip of stainless steal or aluminium rod and bend by using a mould!!!!
    GRP is very expensive - but light i suppose.

I dont think you would put a cutting list for it, maybe say the finished dimensions (or the dimensions for mould) and how much will be used, as for the shopping basket - list the demensions of each strip and say how many times each different sized strip is used. Again i would include the dimensions of thew mould you will use, as well

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at it as if the bent object (in your case a basket) was flat. Or you could draw up the basket, and add, width, depth and length to it, they wont want any more that that, other than the dimensions of the steel/aluminium rods used and maybe the gap between them once they are welded together.

ReputationRep:
    why have u chosen GRP anyway? As the other guy said its very expensive, and it also takes a long while to set, and finish. Not something that can be done in mass production. There are plenty of other ways of creating the same shape but with a different process, e.g. injection moulding with urea formaldehyde (allowing it to be made quickly,effectivly and of the highest quality possible.)

ReputationRep:
    do we need to add the prices of the materials as well?

ReputationRep:
    true, maybe i should use urea formaldehyde but i don't know much about it but its ok as long as i mention that it is light weight n durable then i suppose its ok???

ReputationRep:
    also, hmm.. how do manufacturers join 2 pieces of urea formaldehyde togather (right angle, like a butt join) by fusion (ultrasound) or tensol ?? LOL??

ReputationRep:
    omgosh!!!!!!!!!!! why don't you guys just keep it simple and construct it our of aluminium tubing, just seems so much easier. Really i'd design something that works to your strengths, i.e. you know roughly how it can be assembled. Rather than using materials you have no idea about. xx

ReputationRep:
    Yes lauren that is true but by making it out of aluminium tubing it means that there is going to be lots of different parts to draw, therefore taking up more time in the exam and we need all the time we can really. By making it out of plastic it means that, one it is lighter, two it is cheaper to produce, three it is all one piece.
    Though these are just what my teachers are saying and it seems that they really know what they are talking about. But who knows

Regarding the joining of the urea formaldehyde, why cant it be all one piece? If your really interested in joining then look in a design book about how to join thermoplastics.

x

ReputationRep:
    zweig,
    you dont need to add prices.

ReputationRep:
    huh? i thought urea formaldehyde is thermo setting , maybe i'm wrong...

ReputationRep:
    yeah - but aluminium looks better (and poss looks safer cos its a metal and appears sturdy, durable etc it looks as though it will perform function well - parents are extremly bothered about safety and not too much about price) and is simple

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.