Do you atheists ever feel empty? Watch

garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin54)
'Useless' seems a bit harsh, and as you say we have limits, what about things that exceed those limits??
what things. If they aren't sentient then they are tools for usage, if they are then we must persuade them to help us, but that doesn't mean worship of them.
By leave it to god i mean waiting for someone/else to do it for you, thats lazy, you learn nothing from it and ultimately useless.
JekaMajeka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, but it's not because I'm an atheist, it's because I'm human.

To answer your query, I find that seeking comfort in a God who knew my loved one would die and who caused his/her death is absurd. Even more absurd, is thinking that that is a good way to deal with death. The fact is, grief is grief, whether you are religious or not, whether you have a God to lean on or not. The point isn't to try to eliminate any feelings of loss, that's almost impossible. And it isn't about forgetting them or blocking them out of your thoughts either, the point is to remember them in a different manner, to deal with the constant reminder that they are gone in a positive, healing way. Remember your loved ones for who they were, for their lives, their smiles, their accomplishments, their eccentricities, their kindness. Celebrate their lives, don't mourn them for their deaths, they deserve more than that. Remember the brief moment of time that a universe of atoms joined together to create them before going back to whence they came. Remember that they are still around you, only in a different arrangement. Don't let the energy they've given back dissipate in vain, feed off it, produce something with it, let it drive you, inspire you even. Sometimes, more life can come from death if you let it.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
Can't you do your own googling? I've already given you the definitions for beliefand knowledge. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Of course, the common understanding of the word "agnostic" is different to its usage amongst those who have the slightest acquaintance with epistemology, so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with definitions of your own that state agnosticism is all about being a 50/50 fence sitter.
I don't accept your common understandings, they are convenient to you but are incorrect understandings.
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
what things. If they aren't sentient then they are tools for usage, if they are then we must persuade them to help us, but that doesn't mean worship of them.
By leave it to god i mean waiting for someone/else to do it for you, thats lazy, you learn nothing from it and ultimately useless.
ummmm ...that was pretty hard to understand, so like in times of war when thousands die, how do we help then?? and do we really help?? How about the many atrocities committed by those in power??What about what is happening today?? the occupation of Gaza etc.. there's only so much we can do?? What if we do something i.e. a charity event?? What I mean is there is realistically only so much can do, as humans we are limited and flawed in our ways. So what if there was an ultimate being/force that could change things?? How is this lazy??
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pg_maths)
I don't accept your common understandings, they are convenient to you but are incorrect understandings.
To not accept a common understanding is fine, so long as there is reason for it. To not accept a common understanding using the basis of your own disputable perception is rather silly in my opinion.
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you are the one misunderstanding.... your post really applies to yourself...

if you google it yourself, you should see that it is in fact wrong... not googling this does not assert how confident you are that you are correct but rather shows ignorance
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You misunderstand. The common understanding of the word atheist in this case would be someone who believes that gods do not exist. In truth, an atheist is anyone who isn't a theist - anyone who doesn't believe in gods.

The common understanding of the word agnostic would be someone who withholds all opinion on the matter. In truth, an agnostic is someone who believes that they lack knowledge on the matter or think that the answer is unknowable.

The terms are discussed in far more detail on the links I provided. Now, answer my question: why do you believe that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive?

Perhaps this will help:

garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin54)
ummmm ...that was pretty hard to understand, so like in times of war when thousands die, how do we help then?? and do we really help?? How about the many atrocities committed by those in power??What about what is happening today?? the occupation of Gaza etc.. there's only so much we can do?? What if we do something i.e. a charity event?? What I mean is there is realistically only so much can do, as humans we are limited and flawed in our ways. So what if there was an ultimate being/force that could change things?? How is this lazy??
sorry if it was hard to understand im in semi active mode (revising, watching avengers and this)

we have the potential for great good but also great evil. Yes i am saying there are limits to human kind. My point was if there is something out there without those limits then we use it. If it's not capable of thought its a tool we use at as we need. If it is capable of thought we persuade it other wise.
My point about waiting for god being useless is because.
1 we have no reason to believe (that i see) he exists or that he would do anything
2 completely submitting to a higher power degrades us and reduces the higher power to a tyrant.
3 just waiting for it to do it for you is lazy.

if there is an intelligent power out there capable of helping us we should show them why they should help us. And most importantly we must understand how they did it.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
you are the one misunderstanding.... your post really applies to yourself...

if you google it yourself, you should see that it is in fact wrong... not googling this does not assert how confident you are that you are correct but rather shows ignorance
As I said, get a dictionary then get back to me
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You misunderstand.
No, I do understand and know your game.

As atheism is so indefensible you want to latch onto agnosticism to help fill the gaps to build your wall of denial. Sometimes Buddhism too.
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

As atheism is so indefensible you want to latch onto agnosticism to help fill the gaps to build your wall of denial. Sometimes Buddhism too.
Do your posts ever have any substance to them? I'm genuinely interested.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As I said, get a dictionary then get back to me
another user has already done this... you have your proof already... you just dont want to accept it

what is your problem with accepting this? its like a child not wanting to give up believing in santa...
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do your posts ever have any substance to them? I'm genuinely interested.
The atheist worldview is incapable of defending itself, it is self-refuting. Deal with it.
Sheldor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But when an atheist die then you believe you are no longer of any meaningful purpose to existence, except some food for worms, some (hopefully nice) memories for some or maybe some worship by other humans when you're gone for something you might have achieved.

So then I ask - what if you don't have family/friends left behind to remember you? What if you haven't achieved anything remarkable? Doesn't this mean your life has had no impact or meaning on existence?
Not really, no. You could've put your train ticket in the wrong pocket and spent a few extra seconds at the barriers, which meant someone missed their train was late for their job interview and didn't get it, went to a different pub because they were upset and wanted to be alone, met a girl who they later married, and their grandchild became the first president of a newly established country that becomes the most powerful nation in the world after a few 100 years.

So basically, actions can potentially have a chain of reactions, some which themselves have a large effect on existence, others which lead to an effect on existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Telecaster Steak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pinkhead)
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain
Thanks, that was the one I was looking for.
Josh93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, not really. As far as I'm concerned it makes infinitely more sense to spend the time that I am alive appreciating life and spending time with those that I care about rather than worrying about what will happen when either I/they are dead - something which I have absolutely no control over.

Irrespective of what happens afterwards (and I'm not convinced that most theists truly, honestly believe that their existence will continue after death) we are all going to die - what makes me feel empty is the thought of not living first.
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The atheist worldview is incapable of defending itself, it is self-refuting. Deal with it.
Do elaborate.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do elaborate.
That's why you need to shapeshift to be an agnostic, a buddhist, a winter solstice enthusiast, a secular humanist, all kinds of things to help defend your worldview.

I don't need to do that.
Pinkhead
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

They don't 'latch on'. Stop being so arrogant.
You can't tell someone what they believe in. People have told you it's possible to be an agnostic and an atheist and that the majority of atheists are agnostics.
You obviously don't like this so you go ahead and say 'you're not really an agnostic!'. Are you seriously that desperate?
Do you realise that when an argument of yours doesn't work, it's usually because... I don't know... it doesn't work?. Not because the other guy is lying about their belief.
Sheldor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes I do. Come on, you're not kidding me here. When it suits atheists they argue as agnostics. Atheism is clearly not a defensible position.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.06%
Not great so far... (281)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.31%

Watched Threads