Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    I am a Christian though.

I would say that many people have done good things because they are both a good person and they take inspiration from a religious/historical figure. The figure doesn't have to be religious, it's just that in the case of Jesus, He has inspired far greater numbers of people than anyone else.
    Well then this is a pointless debate, you're naturally going to be subjective. There's isn't really anything to suggest he's inspired more people than anyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Well then this is a pointless debate, you're naturally going to be subjective. There's isn't really anything to suggest he's inspired more people than anyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course I'm going to be subjective. I would've thought any decision on who you think is the greatest human ever would be subjective, unless you're an emotionless robot.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A debate isn't interesting, nor is it a debate when there aren't any subjective views. A debate is there to discuss subjective ideas not objective ones.

ReputationRep:
    Ok poor semantics on my part but when you're taught to love and worship someone your view on them is going to be different to someone who you respect and admire because of historical facts.

I don't quite understand how Jesus could even be in contention when no one knows what he did or didn't do, the only source is fairly unreliable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    quite a few like: Einstein, Obama, Muhammad, Watson and Crick, Shakespeare, Confucius, Alexander, Cyrus, Stephen Hawking, Mark Zuckerberg, MLK, Wright brothers etc

all these people can be seen as the greatest because they have made a significant cultural impact with regards to the way we think and what we do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    After I have read his biography, I have to add another name: Wittgenstein, the revolutionary of Philosophy. He has my deference if I consider what he done, not only in Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yon2k12)
    Bob Dylan- prior to 1965
    Not an electric Dylan fan? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I thought we had agreed it's Peter Zezima.

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand how Jesus could even be in contention when no one knows what he did or didn't do, the only source is fairly unreliable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which source are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YiiNaa)
    Which source are you talking about?
    The bible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hippocrates

ReputationRep:
    Most influential man in history of the world is Napoleon. Much of what occurred during the 19th century can be directly attributed to that man and, of course, he therefore indirectly impacts the rest of human history to the modern day. Easily the most important man that has ever lived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Most influential man in history of the world is Napoleon. Much of what occurred during the 19th century can be directly attributed to that man and, of course, he therefore indirectly impacts the rest of human history to the modern day. Easily the most important man that has ever lived.
    I'd agree for the modern era he's definetly up there at the top. It's real difficult to compare people from antiquity and modern times. I've had that problem with trying to decide who is the greatest ever military comander out our Napoleon or Alexander. I think Alexander but they lived in such different times its hard to compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Well what about Genghis Khan? One in 200 people are supposed to be directly linked to him, I'd say that's quite influential, certainly enough to challenge Napoleon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nathan Rothschild (and others).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilOfficer)
    Nathan Rothschild (and others).
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    The bible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Stuff in the bible can be historically verfied.
    2. The bible is not the only source on Jesus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    :facepalm2:
    In what world did you think a facepalm smiley is an okay reply. It's just rude.

Rothschilds consciously shaped the modern version of the banking system and the concept of debt, thereby having an extraordinary impact on the world we live in. If you think about it, it shapes every single aspect of your individual life directly or indirectly. I think it's a fair judgement, especially when contrasted to warfare of Bonaparte [directly influenced by Rothschild banking], Kaisers or Hitler which can be simplified into status quo ante bellum: restoration of Bourbon dynasty (Bonaparte), defeat of German Imperialism and Pax Britannica continuation (WWI), defeat of Nazism and continuation of hostility between the two dominant ideologies (WWII).

Of course there were some fundamental changes, but contrasted to the architecture of Rothschild as the dominant banking dynasty they are really of meagre importance.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist (of which there are many), I'm only relying on what is a widely available knowledge.

Perhaps Rothschilds would struggle against some philosophers and religious leaders such as JC, but then again when it comes to taxation, hire-purchase, mortgage, your tuition fees, even the price of milk: the legacy of, inter alia, Nathan R. is a lot more significant on our everyday monetary matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilOfficer)
    In what world did you think a facepalm smiley is an okay reply. It's just rude.

Rothschilds consciously shaped the modern version of the banking system and the concept of debt, thereby having an extraordinary impact on the world we live in. If you think about it, it shapes every single aspect of your individual life directly or indirectly. I think it's a fair judgement, especially when contrasted to warfare of Bonaparte [directly influenced by Rothschild banking], Kaisers or Hitler which can be simplified into status quo ante bellum: restoration of Bourbon dynasty (Bonaparte), defeat of German Imperialism and Pax Britannica continuation (WWI), defeat of Nazism and continuation of hostility between the two dominant ideologies (WWII).

Of course there were some fundamental changes, but contrasted to the architecture of Rothschild as the dominant banking dynasty they are really of meagre importance.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist (of which there are many), I'm only relying on what is a widely available knowledge.

Perhaps Rothschilds would struggle against some philosophers and religious leaders such as JC, but then again when it comes to taxation, hire-purchase, mortgage, your tuition fees, even the price of milk: the legacy of, inter alia, Nathan R. is a lot more significant on our everyday monetary matters.
    To repeat....:facepalm2: I understand the Rothschilds as a dynasty but to say Nat is the greatest human in the history of the world is preposterous and ridiculous .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YiiNaa)
    1. Stuff in the bible can be historically verfied.
    2. The bible is not the only source on Jesus
    1. I know it can't which is why it's unreliable
    2. Could you give me a reliable source for Jesus' galavanting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.