Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Male dominance still present in society? Patriarchy Watch

ReputationRep:
    Society has been male dominated from generations and it is still the same in many countries and regions, Specially, in India, India has been a male dominated society, but the situation now seems changing and the women are respected equally and treated with dignity but still in some remote areas of the Indian States somewhere males still dominate females and this needs to be stopped both the Gender have a right to live their life with pride and dignity. We should learn respecting women and treat them with honor and dignity to make this world a better place to live and dwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Seriously? The whole thing is expressed through a fictionalised woman whose character is deliberately designed to conform to negative stereotypes that appeal to the prejudices of the target audience. That alone makes it trash.
    Well his book & video is about what women don't see. So I suppose he takes a look from the point of an intelligent, not knowledgeable woman. As I don't work in the industries shown - I learnt a new appreciation (just like I am in my new career). A bit like seeing a video of the top 15 jobs that women's career dominate. Feel free to show a video which shows a woman's worth as a comparison, but the title here "is Male dominance still present in society?"

It's also aggressively ahistorical, painfully reductive, doesn't even attempt any form of analysis, degrades the hard work of female engineers, scientists, inventors, firefighters and so on, degrades service sector workers and throws in some cherrypicked statistics at the end to seal the deal. It is totally void of any value.
    I don't think there would have been enough time to form an analysis, without also including his own points of view. It adds extra time in being precise, hence losing video's effect; bird's eye view .
    I don't have UK data, but will use USA from (www.catalyst.org/knowledge/women-male-dominated-industries-and-occupations-us-and-canada) as it is larger, whilst averaging out for USA having less service & more manufacturing (engineering) sector. The OECD (developing country) data also included.
    Top 5 M/F dominated jobs:
    - Brickmasons; Cement Masons; Electrical Power Line Installers and Repairers; Carpet, Floor, and Tile Installers
    - Secretaries and Administrative Assistants; Childcare Workers; Receptionists and Information Clerks; Teacher Assistants; Registered Nurses.

There r outliers, but look at the facts. The doors have been thrown open to women for decades - most are still housewives; not only that but 84% of working women told ForbesWoman and TheBump that staying home to raise children is a financial luxury they aspire to!
    Q1. Does above look like an anomaly? Sure just like female engineers there are male gynecologists. But I'm talking about the majority without being pedantic, if that is not obvious I will gladly spoon-feed u my replies. Surely you 'degrade the hard work of' the majority of men in their employment, allowing society to run(?). Similar info in the pdf file in video post.

"throws in some cherrypicked statistics at the end to seal the deal. It is totally void of any value."
    UK
    - homelessness statistics from CRISIS 2006 (source: p.29) give the figure as 80-90% (2010 stats from another source = 90%)
    - male suicide www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_295718.pdf (Released: 22 January 2013) P1 4552:1493 = 75%:25%
    - protectors of women - I'd say protectors of ALL full stop, as shown by war/police/fire deaths. www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridagegen1.xls = 113 male deaths; www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridagegen2.xls = 5 female deaths for 2011/2.
    - affects life span, see gif.

Given that women are indeed managers, in male dominated occupations, makes me realise men are not dominant in society (1st link above shows for construction, mining, utils), but make it function. Headed towards apex fallacy.
    Q2 "What would happen if there were only women" is subjective, an assumption too far; same with his opinion at end. What else makes it totally void?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swapnilramani)
    Society has been male dominated from generations and it is still the same in many countries and regions, Specially, in India, India has been a male dominated society, but the situation now seems changing and the women are respected equally and treated with dignity but still in some remote areas of the Indian States somewhere males still dominate females and this needs to be stopped both the Gender have a right to live their life with pride and dignity. We should learn respecting women and treat them with honor and dignity to make this world a better place to live and dwell.
    OK, list & tell some of the people here why in the picture, each one is an unfair advantage for women? There is also a struggle to have gender neutral laws, inc at work & marriage.
    In FB https://www.facebook.com/AllIndiaFor...menAssociation & https://www.facebook.com/mensrightsassociation are fighting for the same thing.

India has a very developed Men's Rights Movement because they are fighting worse stuff than USA/Aus; though this may change if Antifeminism Might Become Illegal in the Nordic Countries
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    :cool: Oh hell yes, I knew I took Viking Studies for a reason... why is it that Nordic countries always seem to show so much common sense in their legislation?

(I'm not expecting a response from you btw, just that news story is fab)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    :cool: Oh hell yes, I knew I took Viking Studies for a reason... why is it that Nordic countries always seem to show so much common sense in their legislation?

Cause they're awesome and hot :hubba: - their education systems are far superior to own own too.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that male dominance is still very present in UK society. It's all down to how we are raising our children, and I for one, am probably guilty of this. Boys are taught that 'big boys don't cry', girls go to dancing lessons, boys go to football lessons, boys wear blue, girls wear pink, it's 'normal' for boys to go and play in the mud, but girls are expected to play with their dolly's with pretty ribbons in their hair. Girls are expected to do more chores to teach them how to be home-makers, boys are expected to mess around with their tool kits or tractors to get them ready to provide for / care for their future families.

It is then this type of upbringing that is causing men and women to 'live up to expectations' and hense, gender inequality still exists.

As far as family is concerned, I still think that the male should have more dominance / authority over their family. However, when it comes to education, employment and politics, women should be empowered from a young age to know that they have an equal right to achieve the same as men.

However, because of the way we are brought up, women still believe that they are the weaker sex, and therefore, live up to these expectations.

The only way that we are ever going to have gender equality is if we begin treating our children with equality from a young age.

ReputationRep:
    “The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us.”

ReputationRep:
    There's obviously some sexism around, but it's at such a low level that it could barely ever harm anyone.

I think that people should be allowed to be sexist, racist, and homophobic as long as they don't act on it. They have the right to their opinion and I have the right to be offended by their opinions, but I don't have the right to force them to change their mind or to silence them about it.

ReputationRep:

Forced Silencing of discussion is good? I had you wrong.
    You used Lindy West's Jez article to tell us that this explains Feminism, well here is someone trying to read it without letting others get a word in (could be ur equivalent in 10 years )!

=====
    Old news but in 2010 Gender studies'd be defunded in Norway: www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/2012/homosexuality/nordic-countries-defund-gender-ideology

[some gems from the cultural determinists: "If you don't take genetics into account you can explain everything environmentally."
    In response to being presented with evidence of genetic influence:
    "In social science we try to introduce theories."
    And: "I have the theoretical basis. There's no room for biology in
    there." Do watch at least the first 2sections & last.]

I think Norway will have to toes the line with neighbours. They implemented 40% female quota on board members, but studies showed that the companies did worse (i.e. less qualified pool of CEOs to choose from. Similar to Labour having 48% of their seats as Women Only - illegal since they changed the Gender Equality Act 10 years ago.)
    http://c4mb.wordpress.com/improving-...-the-evidence/

In Sweden, Gothenberg they celebrate Straight Hate Day & have plays based on V. Solanas's SCUM (Society For Cutting Up Men) manifesto. Attached are 2 pdfs regarding.
    Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaWwSOHqk6I
    the video owner has written 4 articles on a MRA's website (he tells his full story in Swedish website) One Two-His Story - read both & ask Patriachy?

They should be like Japanese & celebrate Penis/Vagina Day (many hilarious photos NSFW).
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf scum-manifesto-for-children.pdf (63.4 KB, 118 views)
  2. File Type: pdf heterosexual-hatred-Gothenburg-Free.pdf (681.9 KB, 63 views)

ReputationRep:

Did you actually read the article? The "expert panel" who made the recommendation was made up of "radical feminists". :lol:

It also states that many male politicians in Finland, for example, will not speak out against feminism in fear of being labelled misogynists and losing their position.

Do you propose the same controls being used in the UK? That we restrict the things that people are permitted to say, in order to give your movement the best chance of curing the oppression of the female?

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd give a summary, because initially I thought male dominance is present in society, even if some attributed to apex fallacy.

Reading today I'm on the fence especially wrt Mike Buchanan, who started an independent political Pro-men party & Campaign for Merit in Business.
    I.e. a meritocracy is good, I mean would u prefer a women politician representing you who get there with a women-only quota or another on merit? I mean Labour r trying for the women vote.
    I explained here which has "Do politicians ignore the 'men's vote'?" Jan-13 www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16446116

My turn to list, I have added/removed from original; citations provided on reqest.

1. For every 2 male undergraduates there are three female undergraduates; www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&tas k=view&id=1899&Itemid=239 (click 2nd diagram F:M 128,310:95735 for 2010/11 F/T 1st degree leavers)

2. Poorer state provision of services compared with that enjoyed by women - i.e. a women will get shelter, men will get phone advice, difficult for the 90% homeless, more subtley the website creation for M & F has less effort put in (funding);

3. Men denied access to political office by all-women prospective parliamentary candidate shortlists;

4. There’s no ‘Minister for Men’, while there’s a ‘Minister for Women; Same in the NUS, where they banned one for Men.

5. Men hold little more than one-third of public sector jobs, yet the Equality Act (2010) permits public sector bodies to favour women in their recruitment & promotion processes. For every 3 women registered unemployed, 4 are men;

6. Men passed over for promotion in the private sector -Govt’s bullying of companies to increase women in senior positions, despite overwhelming evidence that corporate financial performance will decline as a result

7. Men are obliged – through 71.2% taxes – to finance women’s ‘choice’ to have children when those women otherwise wouldn’t have the financial means to support them - unless a lesbian couple men will be paying;

(8. I disagreed with)

9. Men are economic impoverished by sometimes savage divorce settlements, regardless of the proportion of the couple’s joint wealth which was inherited or earned by the men;

10. Men are denied access to their children following relationship breakdowns, because the closed court system weakly enforce contact orders, strong when it comes to payments;

11. Men assumed by the police and justice system to be solely responsible for domestic abuse/violence, if their partners claim they are - so easy to remove a man from house with an ex parte Non Molestation Order;

12. Men receive virtually no support when they suffer domestic abuse/violence - Mankind.org.uk receive £35K for the work they do;

13. Paternity fraud. It’s believed (like rape estimates, its guesswork) that up to 30% of children are supported financially by men who’ve been misled to believe they’re the children’s biological fathers. Paternity fraud is a women-only criminal offence in the UK, yet not one woman has ever been convicted of the crime;

14. Men receive poorer provision of services aimed at early diagnosis of gender-specific life-threatening conditions - shown Cancer funding disparity compared to death/diagnosis;

15. Men face higher incarceration rates, and more onerous sentences, when convicted of the same crimes as women - an MP highlighted that for vast majority of same crime men jailed more;

16. Men face ruin at the hands of spiteful women making false rape allegations, even if they’re cleared of the charges, as no anonymity for rape suspects, www.cotwa.info; That's power.

17. Men represent the vast majority of former military personnel who suffer from physical & mental health problems, including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. They often find provision of support services to be poor;

18. Homeless men experience poor provision of support. The vast majority of homeless people are men, especially ‘rough sleepers’;
    19. There’s negligible state funding of initiatives to discourage men from committing suicide 75% are male - whilst women get reported on;

20. Men typically live 4-5 years less than women but must wait longer for their state pensions, changing soon.

Source http://c4mb.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/he-who-pays-the-piper-calls-the-tune-or-does-he

So what can we do practically? "Dismantling patriachy" is not advice - not 1 I'd say to a father being denied access to their child(ren).

I read that Marketers target women ads as they are the main shopper decision maker (in USA Fortune: 65% of women hold the wealth), hence so many misandric ads to make women feel good/superior about themselves (narcissism) to men (some say its because women feel inferior, I dunno).

So I do not think Male dominance still present in society, as mentioned a few pages before class/aristocracy is the dominant, given they richest 5% probably control >70% of world's wealth.
    In terms of above open to discussion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rad_student)
    Many lulz were had when watching this video.

1 Feminists are about democracy and freedom of speech, so SHUT THE **** UP and listen up
    2 Men lose child custody because of Patriarchy (yes let's blame men even if men get screwed) 00:19
    3 Feminism is NOT about shaming men as women haters and misogynists 01:30
    4 Men are forced to pay alimony because of Patriarchy (again men are guilty) 02:31
    5 ****face! (very mature... like in high school) 02:48
    6 Men are Entitled 02:56
    7 Mr EGO (lol) 05.00

:lol::lol::lol:

The more I read about feminism, the more I think their whole movement is a complete joke, lmfao.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd give a summary, because initially I thought male dominance is present in society, even if some attributed to apex fallacy.

Reading today I'm on the fence especially wrt Mike Buchanan, who started an independent political Pro-men party & Campaign for Merit in Business.
    I.e. a meritocracy is good, I mean would u prefer a women politician representing you who get there with a women-only quota or another on merit? I mean Labour r trying for the women vote.
    I explained here which has "Do politicians ignore the 'men's vote'?" Jan-13 www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16446116

My turn to list, I have added/removed from original; citations provided on reqest.

1. For every 2 male undergraduates there are three female undergraduates; www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&tas k=view&id=1899&Itemid=239 (click 2nd diagram F:M 128,310:95735 for 2010/11 F/T 1st degree leavers)

2. Poorer state provision of services compared with that enjoyed by women - i.e. a women will get shelter, men will get phone advice, difficult for the 90% homeless, more subtley the website creation for M & F has less effort put in (funding);

3. Men denied access to political office by all-women prospective parliamentary candidate shortlists;

4. There’s no ‘Minister for Men’, while there’s a ‘Minister for Women; Same in the NUS, where they banned one for Men.

5. Men hold little more than one-third of public sector jobs, yet the Equality Act (2010) permits public sector bodies to favour women in their recruitment & promotion processes. For every 3 women registered unemployed, 4 are men;

6. Men passed over for promotion in the private sector -Govt’s bullying of companies to increase women in senior positions, despite overwhelming evidence that corporate financial performance will decline as a result

7. Men are obliged – through 71.2% taxes – to finance women’s ‘choice’ to have children when those women otherwise wouldn’t have the financial means to support them - unless a lesbian couple men will be paying;

(8. I disagreed with)

9. Men are economic impoverished by sometimes savage divorce settlements, regardless of the proportion of the couple’s joint wealth which was inherited or earned by the men;

10. Men are denied access to their children following relationship breakdowns, because the closed court system weakly enforce contact orders, strong when it comes to payments;

11. Men assumed by the police and justice system to be solely responsible for domestic abuse/violence, if their partners claim they are - so easy to remove a man from house with an ex parte Non Molestation Order;

12. Men receive virtually no support when they suffer domestic abuse/violence - Mankind.org.uk receive £35K for the work they do;

13. Paternity fraud. It’s believed (like rape estimates, its guesswork) that up to 30% of children are supported financially by men who’ve been misled to believe they’re the children’s biological fathers. Paternity fraud is a women-only criminal offence in the UK, yet not one woman has ever been convicted of the crime;

14. Men receive poorer provision of services aimed at early diagnosis of gender-specific life-threatening conditions - shown Cancer funding disparity compared to death/diagnosis;

15. Men face higher incarceration rates, and more onerous sentences, when convicted of the same crimes as women - an MP highlighted that for vast majority of same crime men jailed more;

16. Men face ruin at the hands of spiteful women making false rape allegations, even if they’re cleared of the charges, as no anonymity for rape suspects, www.cotwa.info; That's power.

17. Men represent the vast majority of former military personnel who suffer from physical & mental health problems, including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. They often find provision of support services to be poor;

18. Homeless men experience poor provision of support. The vast majority of homeless people are men, especially ‘rough sleepers’;
    19. There’s negligible state funding of initiatives to discourage men from committing suicide 75% are male - whilst women get reported on;

20. Men typically live 4-5 years less than women but must wait longer for their state pensions, changing soon.

Source http://c4mb.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/he-who-pays-the-piper-calls-the-tune-or-does-he

So what can we do practically? "Dismantling patriachy" is not advice - not 1 I'd say to a father being denied access to their child(ren).

I read that Marketers target women ads as they are the main shopper decision maker (in USA Fortune: 65% of women hold the wealth), hence so many misandric ads to make women feel good/superior about themselves (narcissism) to men (some say its because women feel inferior, I dunno).

So I do not think Male dominance still present in society, as mentioned a few pages before class/aristocracy is the dominant, given they richest 5% probably control >70% of world's wealth.
    I tried to rep you but I'd already done it recently, apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Many lulz were had when watching this video.

1 Feminists are about democracy and freedom of speech, so SHUT THE **** UP and listen up
    2 Men lose child custody because of Patriarchy (yes let's blame men even if men get screwed) 00:19
    3 Feminism is NOT about shaming men as women haters and misogynists 01:30
    4 Men are forced to pay alimony because of Patriarchy (again men are guilty) 02:31
    5 ****face! (very mature... like in high school) 02:48
    6 Men are Entitled 02:56
    7 Mr EGO (lol) 05.00

:lol::lol::lol:

The more I read about feminism, the more I think their whole movement is a complete joke, lmfao.
    We either act now against the societal venom that is feminism, or we fall under the control of women.
    I read above that Norway I think is banning any form of anti-feminism, so they're banning freedom of speech?

Anyone seeing the Nazi party being resurrected? Just me?
    We fight back, or our sons will live an imprisoned life we caused because we were too scared/ brainwashed/ confused to fight back,
    our great grandmothers done it, why can't we?

ReputationRep:
    It definitely still is present only an idiot can't see it.

So even though more women graduate from university than men do, men still earn more than women on average? Why is this the case?

What? You think that only homeless women get helped? You can't seriously be telling me this, that's just plain ridiculous.
    This I'm not going to deny is definitely sexist. This should be illegal.
    Again bad, but do men really need a minister? Considering that men make up over 2/3 of the seats in parliament.
    Equality act 2010? Does it say put women over men? No, it doesn't.
    Yes I know women can't do board meetings, that's a man's job isn't it? Why not just say "women don't understand money they should go back to the kitchen". Come on, how is it that there's more women than men graduating university, yet being a minority in senior positions? Glass..... ceiling, could be a possibility....

I wasn't aware only men pay for tax, is paying tax for state education and healthcare discrimination to the rich too because they go Eton and bupa?

This I don't like, but if women earned as much as men did on average whilst working, men wouldn't have this problem.....

They should enforce both I agree.

So not true, believe it or not police do know that intimate partner violence is rarely one sided, they take the man out of the house to stop them from hurting eachother.

Is it government supported or not? Believe it or not the reason why the woman go into DV shelters isn't JUST because or the women's safety, it's also for men's safety too....

I'm not certain but can't he take her to court for this and sue her?

That's because lack of publicity, breast cancer has much more awareness because women have been strongly raising awareness of it, not a fault of women or feminists. I think you should try to set up a charity.... If you really want to help men instead of complain.

But crimes are examined and sentenced on am individual basis, possibly sexism possibly not I don't know on this one.

That's because it's hard to prove/disprove rape. So they're monitored.

Wow the majority that suffer from PTSD from war are men? This had got to be because the 30-50 women on the front line compared to the 20,000 men because of sexist delivery of the treatment. Although bad it is not because of sexism.

Please go ahead and prove that women receive the majority of funding for homelessness. Come on....

I don't think that suicide helplines support women only when they know the majority of suicides are carried out by men... honestly that's down to pressure on society, men must be this, this and this, they can't do this, or this.... It's social alienation. Lots of transgender commit suicide because of social alienation.
    As you just said, changing.

I'd say that only 10% of world leaders being women is more of a sign, and as for men being denied access to the child, three words "traditional gender roles."
    Television advertising? Yes, they sure are taken literally and seriously by women, they literally think that a man doing a silly thing on the television means all men are indefinitely always incompetent.

Economic and social hierarchies are undeniably right winged, also right winged politics is definitely patriarchal...... And I do have biological proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My posts above defiantly prove that absolutely all feminists are undoubtedly evil :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chappers-94)
    It definitely still is present only an idiot can't see it.
    A polite start.
    So even though more women graduate from university than men do, men still earn more than women on average? Why is this the case?
    You r new aren't u?
    On average its because women choose a safer/enjoyable lifestyle than men, especailly when they have children. So that's why childless women in their 20s earn more.
    My post here explains a bit more, follow the links
    1-step further so u will not ask that question again.
    www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2278321&page=40 &p=41815695&highlight=#post41815 695
    Skimming "Why Men Earn More: The Startling Truth Behind the Pay Gap—and What Women Can Do About It" book has suggestions for women:-
    1. Choose technology or hard sciences, not arts or social sciences.
    2. Fields with higher pay often have lower fulfilment.
    3. Work more hours per week.
    4. Reduce absences.
    5. Travel extensively on the job.
    6. Require less security.
    7. Begin your career with higher goals.
    Also 'danger money', work unsociable hours inc peak holiday times & essentially produce more in the same time (Performance Indicators appraised).
    Did you know that male UK nurses earn a few % more pay than female nurses (2010 stats) given >85% are female? Above answers why.

What? You think that only homeless women get helped? You can't seriously be telling me this, that's just plain ridiculous.
    89% rough sleepers are men, 6100+) because it is possible for women to (falsely) say I was abused & they get assistance as they are overfunded.

This I'm not going to deny is definitely sexist. This should be illegal.

Again bad, but do men really need a minister? Considering that men make up over 2/3 of the seats in parliament.
    You did not read my link, again I explained here. Read all of that post, e.g I used
    ** Let's say there's 100 people in ~ equal numbers of each gender (actually more females as war, suicide, longevity, homelessness, murders, etc. mean less males).

There are 2 parties that they can go to & both want this 100 to come to their party, so they can profit. Imagine both event organisers are controlled by 100% men (or 100% women, its irrelevant).

Both have a manifesto list of say 5 reasons why they should come to them. One group says BOGOF on drinks, etc. Other says females get in free (sexism I know, I know but its their business venture - imagine a business was forced to have affirmitive action on the majority gender like women against their will; feminists'd uproar ).

Regardless of what males think & choose, the party with the biasedness to the females would get the majority.

I.e. as long as both sexes can vote it is irrelevant what sex % the party consists of.
    Queen Victoria from 1870:
    " I am most anxious to enlist everyone who can speak or write to join in checking this mad, wicked folly of 'Women's Rights', with all its attendant horrors, on which her poor feeble sex is bent, forgetting every sense of womanly feelings and propriety. Feminists ought to get a good whipping. Were woman to 'unsex' themselves by claiming equality with men, they would become the most hateful, heathen and disgusting of beings and would surely perish without male protection."
    Her reign of 63 years and seven months is longer than that of any other British monarch and the longest of any female monarch in history. I wonder why she didn't give women the vote?

Equality act 2010? Does it say put women over men? No, it doesn't.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_Act_2010
    The Act extends until 2030 the exemption from sex discrimination law allowing political parties to select all women or all men candidate short-lists. The existing exemption until 2015 was created by the Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002.

Yes I know women can't do board meetings, that's a man's job isn't it? Why not just say "women don't understand money they should go back to the kitchen". Come on, how is it that there's more women than men graduating university, yet being a minority in senior positions? Glass..... ceiling, could be a possibility....
    Part answered above. www.degroote.mcmaster.ca/articles/women-make-better-decisions-than-men Amy Anderson commented (provided link as there is more info, am trying to keep short):
    However, a recent meta-analysis of the effect of gender diversity on boards, with proper controlled methods, shows no overall positive relationships between diversity and objective performance measures. See:

van Dijk, H., van Engen, M. L., & van Knippenberg, D. (2012). Defying conventional wisdom: A meta-analytical examination of the differences between demographic and job-related diversity relationships with performance. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 119, 38-53. doi:10.1016/j.obhdp.2012.06.003]

The older studies that show positive correlations do not correct for selection bias and omitted variables, etc. When these are controlled for, more recent studies do not find causal relationships between having more women and greater performance:
    Adams, R. B., & Ferreira, D. (2009). Women in the boardroom and their impact on governance and performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 94, 291-309. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2008.10.007
    Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21, 1086-1120. doi:10.1016/j.leaqua.2010.10.010
    O’Reilly, C. A., III, & Main, B. G. M. (2012). Women in the boardroom: Symbols or substance? Research Paper No. 2098, Stanford Graduate School of Business. http://gsbapps.stanford.edu/research...ary/RP2098.pdf.
    Someone else here mentioned the example from Norway, where the government has instituted quotas to ensure at least 40% representation of women on boards. The effect of this mandated quota system has been extensively analyzed:
    Ahern, K., & Dittmar, A. (2012). The changing of the boards: The impact on firm valuation of mandated female board representation. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 127, 137-197. doi:10.1093/qje/qjr049
    Matsa, D. A., & Miller, A. R. (2012). A female style in corporate leadership? Evidence from quotas. Northwestern University. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu....aspx#research
    The analyses actually found a negative correlation between corporate profits and the inclusion of more women, in total contradiction to claims made by Bart and McQueen. According to the results of the above studies, one could instead claim that it was the Norwegian government that shortchanged investors by mandating more women on boards!

I wasn't aware only men pay for tax, is paying tax for state education and healthcare discrimination to the rich too because they go Eton and bupa?
    M Buchanan did not either, just data from the Govt showed 71.2% £64.4B more came from men, so why are there not equal services?
    Any society understands male disposability to survive, women with children must always be catered for. Given the extra men pay, why is there not more for men's health, education, etc.??

This I don't like, but if women earned as much as men did on average whilst working, men wouldn't have this problem.....

They should enforce both I agree.

So not true, believe it or not police do know that intimate partner violence is rarely one sided, they take the man out of the house to stop them from hurting eachother.
    Its one thing from knowing another following orders. I'm not sure if Duluth Model is used to teach.

Is it government supported or not? Believe it or not the reason why the woman go into DV shelters isn't JUST because or the women's safety, it's also for men's safety too....
    Yes Govt supported, but also from handouts. (Wonderful) Erin Pizzey would agree with you, as she noticed that 60%+ women coming into her sheleter was just as violent - Feminists silenced her in the '70s. But she is back talking. Govt notes 40% of DV is on men. Once you understand the grievance industries are about being in employment then you will understand why people will demonise men.
    You have probably seen
    http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm 221 empirical studies and 65 reviews and/or analyses, which demonstrate that women are as physically aggressive, or more aggressive, than men in their relationships with their spouses or male partners. Aggregate sample size > 371,600.
    Given all this info, why is there not more help? Why can't the man be taken to safety, as the woman perpertrator will know where the man still lives.

I'm not certain but can't he take her to court for this and sue her?
    Dunno...someone else in law answer...?

That's because lack of publicity, breast cancer has much more awareness because women have been strongly raising awareness of it, not a fault of women or feminists. I think you should try to set up a charity.... If you really want to help men instead of complain.
    There is a similar story for men building their own men's shelters . Cancer Research know the facts, it is their business - yet fund ~19% of £508M on breast cancer. CR UK do say "men are at significantly greater risk than women from nearly all of the common cancers that occur in both sexes, with the exception of breast cancer." & see pdf, but the funding distribution does not help who needs it most - Incidence & Mortality (I & M). What use to know that men's health need more research yet do nothing?

But crimes are examined and sentenced on am individual basis, possibly sexism possibly not I don't know on this one.
    http://brightonmanplan.wordpress.com...male-offenders - full transcript Sentencing Female Offenders.

That's because it's hard to prove/disprove rape. So they're monitored.
    Technology is saving men from false imprisonment, reasons why can be explained from www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tz03pUFVDU Watch from 15 minutes onwards.

Wow the majority that suffer from PTSD from war are men? This had got to be because the 30-50 women on the front line compared to the 20,000 men because of sexist delivery of the treatment. Although bad it is not because of sexism.
    Yeah, but I bet they are getting equal pay & they more often show it when a woman has died, men are invisible. (Don't hate yourself after watching)

Please go ahead and prove that women receive the majority of funding for homelessness. Come on....
    Provided another link above - men are 90% rough sleepers. Don't have link to direct funding- chappers-94 who provides this service for wo/men?? Then maybe I/we can look further.

I don't think that suicide helplines support women only when they know the majority of suicides are carried out by men... honestly that's down to pressure on society, men must be this, this and this, they can't do this, or this.... It's social alienation. Lots of transgender commit suicide because of social alienation.
    All know this including men suffer in silence, but what is happening in society can also decrease this. I don't know the answer, but I do know highlighting is the first step to being in the mind & someone in power can do something.

As you just said, changing.
    Even when it changes men will die earlier due to working in worse conditions & longer whilst less provisions available for help. >90% of workplace deaths are still men...more in Europe as UK has more service industry.

I'd say that only 10% of world leaders being women is more of a sign, and as for men being denied access to the child, three words "traditional gender roles."
    Traditionally during separation men got the children - read a a few places, but citation needed. But so what?? Should the norm become parents, mainly mothers denying access when the father is more than fit to look after the child(ren). Next you will be saying women should only work from home as "traditional gender roles...?

Television advertising? Yes, they sure are taken literally and seriously by women, they literally think that a man doing a silly thing on the television means all men are indefinitely always incompetent.
    www.youtube.com/user/theignoredgender - He's done 17 Misandry in Media - its all around, but some have been desensitised to it.
    Men earn the money, whilst markeeters say women have the majority purchasing power (that's why only mum's go to Iceland) - considering their livelihood depends on Business Intelligence, they know their target.

Economic and social hierarchies are undeniably right winged, also right winged politics is definitely patriarchal...... And I do have biological proof.
    Err...agree with Economic and social hierarchies play a major part, as well as people in employment politicians targetting the vote - to be in employment/power is better than being right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There r a few questions there, but now a bit of knowledge is above. I don't expect u to agree with me but I expect you to at least skim articles & not be ignorant in ur reply.

--
    Need to study...so apart from Ronove & Cap. Haddock expect no replies soon.
    --
    Rep here Ace www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=903214 . Thanks, sometimes I get post compliments but no reps!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have UK data, but will use USA from (www.catalyst.org/knowledge/women-male-dominated-industries-and-occupations-us-and-canada) as it is larger, whilst averaging out for USA having less service & more manufacturing (engineering) sector. The OECD (developing country) data also included.
    Top 5 M/F dominated jobs:
    - Brickmasons; Cement Masons; Electrical Power Line Installers and Repairers; Carpet, Floor, and Tile Installers
    - Secretaries and Administrative Assistants; Childcare Workers; Receptionists and Information Clerks; Teacher Assistants; Registered Nurses.

There r outliers, but look at the facts. The doors have been thrown open to women for decades - most are still housewives; not only that but 84% of working women told ForbesWoman and TheBump that staying home to raise children is a financial luxury they aspire to!
    Q1. Does above look like an anomaly? Sure just like female engineers there are male gynecologists. But I'm talking about the majority without being pedantic, if that is not obvious I will gladly spoon-feed u my replies. Surely you 'degrade the hard work of' the majority of men in their employment, allowing society to run(?). Similar info in the pdf file in video post.

"throws in some cherrypicked statistics at the end to seal the deal. It is totally void of any value."
    UK
    - homelessness statistics from CRISIS 2006 (source: p.29) give the figure as 80-90% (2010 stats from another source = 90%)
    - male suicide www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_295718.pdf (Released: 22 January 2013) P1 4552:1493 = 75%:25%
    - protectors of women - I'd say protectors of ALL full stop, as shown by war/police/fire deaths. www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridagegen1.xls = 113 male deaths; www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/tables/ridagegen2.xls = 5 female deaths for 2011/2.
    - affects life span, see gif.

Given that women are indeed managers, in male dominated occupations, makes me realise men are not dominant in society (1st link above shows for construction, mining, utils), but make it function. Headed towards apex fallacy.
    Q2 "What would happen if there were only women" is subjective, an assumption too far; same with his opinion at end. What else makes it totally void?
    None of this matters. My original point was videos like this are the reason nobody takes MRAs seriously. It is possible to try and raise awareness about men's issues without it coming off as spiteful, degrading and offensive but MRAs fail at this all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    Your friend gets married, whose last name do you think everyone assumes they'll have? Who might cause some stir by keeping their last name? When people assume they're Mr and Mrs ____, how often do they guess the man's original name, and how often the woman's?
    Your friend tells you that one parent will stay at home with the children, who do you immediately assume it will be?
    Your friend isn't staying home with the children, and is going to work. Your friend is getting seriously judged for this. What gender is your friend?

It's more ingrained than you think.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    None of this matters. My original point was videos like this are the reason nobody takes MRAs seriously. It is possible to try and raise awareness about men's issues without it coming off as spiteful, degrading and offensive but MRAs fail at this all the time.
    This exact same statement could be made about feminists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.