Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welfare change opponents chat a pile of **** Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    The irony is that a strike would harm the working poor who aren't in a union- if they miss a week's pay they might not be able to afford to eat

Silly man- to say the least- trying to turn the clock back to 1970s
    The way things are going the working and non-working poor arn't going to manage anyhow, every one should watch this true story video:
    Jobcentre sanctions: 'Your money is stopped, you go into freefall!
    Over 3/4 million people sanctioned last year - wow - Im sure they can't afford to eat. Unemployed? join the columns of marchers in the pending General Strike
    This government is turning back the clock to 1870.
    If you want to effect change in your workplace - join a union- don't moon
    if they improve the conditions & pay of its members and you lose out- the Senior Civil Service-FDA, the CBI are they not unions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Plus you have to fund the pensions and relatively high salaries of the likes of Bob Crow!

That doesn't make total sense- they are ignoring potentially good ideas from nob-members , who will also be affected by any future industrial action or negotiations!

I think unions should accept pay cuts rather than job losses in a recession- that's real unity!

While tube drivers got massive pay rises, s lot of their other colleagues were made redundant at TfL during the last couple of years!
    Have to pay the salaries and high pensions of the likes of Georgie Osborne and Ian D et al!
    Everyone in the country is affected by industrial action - thats the point- thats why unions are loathed to go down this route- but with this government - no choice they won't listen or discuss with anyone - just impose more poverty on the working class.

I think bankers and city slickers types should accept pay/ bonus- cuts
    since they caused the recession - maybe MPs could set an example here and forgo their pay and pensions increments in line with Nick Clegg's suggestion.... you couldn't make this up in the Guardian this year:
    MPs have privately said they want a pay rise, with the majority calling for a 32% increase that would take their annual salary to £86,250.

The survey carried out by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) also found more than a third believe they should keep generous final-salary pensions.

A lot od people are being made redundant at the moment - Aon Hewitt survey finds 35% of UK organisations considering redundancies in 2013 article.
    Of course, this is the plan replace proper unionized jobs with scivy workfare slaves and school-kids working part-time.
    If the unions don't join and act together now they might as well all fold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    o a single mum raising 2 children in a 3 bedhouse, when one moves out she wil lhave to pay money for the empty room? even though its her home she has been given it? that sounds so ****ing stupid.
    Why should see be GIVEN a house bigger than she needs? Where do you draw the line?? One spare bedroom? Two? Five? So, she has to move out? Like people WORKING don't sometimes have to downgrade? It amazes me, the opinions on here. There are people who WORK, who can barely afford more than a shared house; yet it's then seen as a terrible hardship, when people who DON'T work, can't have a spare bedroom. I understand those who point out exceptions, such as having ill residents who need space and care, but seriously, examples such as the above?!

Sod it, why not just give everyone a mansion, while we're at it, just so we don't get accused of being "uncaring". The mind boggles.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    And so what if people are unemployed? Do you think the majority of people want to be unemployed? You do know there's a recession, there's a massive shortage of jobs don't you?
    And? So, not everyone on the dole is a waster; granted. Fact still remains, that someone doesn't NEED more space than they......need. A caring society should, yes, provide shelter for people in need; but not a house with more space than is required. Students live in tiny rooms, by and large, for their first years; so why not people who aren't working? Basic shelter is a human right; a comfortable house with plenty of space is NOT. Very, very few people will be out of work for a long time, if they make the effort to find work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Indeed, Unions don't care about the poor or the working class, they only care about their own members. When I worked at the train place non-members had to leave the room when it came to discussing things like pay and working conditions etc because we weren't part of the club. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm handing money over to a New Labour subsidiary before I can have a say over my terms of employment! Not happening. They loved it when we had to leave too, it made them feel important. Cretins!
    Bet you toke the pay rise they fought for though- anyhow - democratic aren't they - you could have joined and became their new leader and turned around their political stance on things -you didn't though - you let others put their head on the line for your betterment.
    Without a union you have NIL say in your terms-conditions - cretin you.

ReputationRep:
    Such bitterness at such a young age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    Why should see be GIVEN a house bigger than she needs? Where do you draw the line?? One spare bedroom? Two? Five? So, she has to move out? Like people WORKING don't sometimes have to downgrade? It amazes me, the opinions on here. There are people who WORK, who can barely afford more than a shared house; yet it's then seen as a terrible hardship, when people who DON'T work, can't have a spare bedroom. I understand those who point out exceptions, such as having ill residents who need space and care, but seriously, examples such as the above?!

Sod it, why not just give everyone a mansion, while we're at it, just so we don't get accused of being "uncaring". The mind boggles.......
    1 million empty house in Britain today - most of which could easily be converted to house so called overcrowded families - yes I agree cease the unoccupied mansions and fill them with homeless very good idea that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Such bitterness at such a young age.
    Ad-hominem attacking: the greatest sign of a lost argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomctutor)
    1 million empty house in Britain today - most of which could easily be converted to house so called overcrowded families - yes I agree cease the unoccupied mansions and fill them with homeless very good idea that.
    One room per person sounds perfectly agreeable to me.

ReputationRep:
    "There's nothing 'kind' about parking people who could work on benefits." Osborne

Highly appropriate considering what he was caught doing this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    One room per person sounds perfectly agreeable to me.
    Tell the government that they think couples should only have one-room!
    Anyhow most council and social housing in the UK is 3,4,5-apartments. Most of the so called 'under-occupiers' are at pension age, so by your reasoning then we should move them to one-apartments also - where, where are all these one apartment properties in council estates?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, Unions don't care about the poor or the working class, they only care about their own members. When I worked at the train place non-members had to leave the room when it came to discussing things like pay and working conditions etc because we weren't part of the club. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm handing money over to a New Labour subsidiary before I can have a say over my terms of employment! Not happening. They loved it when we had to leave too, it made them feel important. Cretins!
    YES, because you have to join your union if they're going to fight for you. Did you just expect to sponge the free benefits off them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    YES, because you have to join your union if they're going to fight for you. Did you just expect to sponge the free benefits off them?
    Do you not see the irony in paying a Union (and by extension New Labour) monthly subs when Labour opened the floodgates to Eastern Europe, thus keeping a lid on wage demands for the very people they claim to represent. How are working class Brits supposed to compete with foreign migrants who are prepared to live 10 to a room and work all the hours God sends in return for a pittance? It's a race to the bottom, initiated by the people you think are the good guys. Hilarious.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Tell the government that they think couples should only have one-room!
    Which is fair enough. Why do couples need a room each?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Which is fair enough. Why do couples need a room each?
    Why not- should they wish- its just a load of rubbish all this occupancy rules, its a right-wing rouse to inflict financial impairment on the already stretched poor, needy and social housing tenants.
    Tell me this if I move out of my under-occupied property and move into your private home as a lodger - do I have the right-to-buy points I have accumulated over the years come with me, and so own a proportion of your property. Its a lot more complicated than just bums and rooms. Its about the right to have a family stake in your home- the home you choose, where you choose without someone like you, telling me I can't.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Why not- should they wish- its just a load of rubbish all this occupancy rules, its a right-wing rouse to inflict financial impairment on the already stretched poor, needy and social housing tenants.
    It's not. if you're a couple, why shouldn't you share a room? There's no reason (apart from disability) why a couple shouldn't share a room.

Tell me this if I move out of my under-occupied property and move into your private home as a lodger - do I have the right-to-buy points I have accumulated over the years come with me, and so own a proportion of your property.
    No. You're a guest and the house is in my name and not yours.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not see the irony in paying a Union (and by extension New Labour) monthly subs when Labour opened the floodgates to Eastern Europe, thus keeping a lid on wage demands for the very people they claim to represent. How are working class Brits supposed to compete with foreign migrants who are prepared to live 10 to a room and work all the hours God sends in return for a pittance? It's a race to the bottom, initiated by the people you think are the good guys. Hilarious.
    Labour didn't open the flood gates to Eastern Europe, it was Heath and Major that joined and collaborated with the EC. Anyhow get used to it because in about an years time you're going to have a Croatians, Romanians living next to you, probably well qualified, young and hard working. No shortage of labour for the big companies, they won't complain though, hence the dichotomy of the right Tory-Lib and UKip.
    Im quite happy with my Polish friends - Im not racist - if someone gets the job I didn't good luck to them wether they are Polish, German, American or English what's the odds to me.

ReputationRep:
    That's a true point, excessive immigration meant that jobs available to the British public disappeared, as they were outcompeted by those offering to do more hours, more awkward hours, less time off etc. The theory behind immigration is fine, its implementation was poor.

I still stand by the unions, and it's important to ensure it ISN'T a race to the bottom, hence why the regulations on, say, minimum wage must stay tight.

EDIT - being EU countries - Polish/Romanians etc. are still entitled to the minimum wage anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

I still stand by the unions, and it's important to ensure it ISN'T a race to the bottom, hence why the regulations on, say, minimum wage must stay tight.

EDIT - being EU countries - Polish/Romanians etc. are still entitled to the minimum wage anyway
    I totally agree-
    ERGO entitled to come to the UK and work and claim benefits like citizens here can go over there if they wish - its called EU cross-border working rights. If Britain doesn't like it it should leave the EU tomorrow morning, or shut up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree-
    ERGO entitled to come to the UK and work and claim benefits like citizens here can go over there if they wish - its called EU cross-border working rights. If Britain doesn't like it it should leave the EU tomorrow morning, or shut up and get on with it.
    And now we just watch the europhobes flock over....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.