Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the A* guy)
    Here is the jan 2013 paper for unit 2:

Hope This Helps

Have you got the paper 1 questions from Jan 2013?! Would be very useful!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has the January 2013 Paper 1 it would be really useful. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libbyjonesxx)
    Reason and Experience notes
    Do you have any notes for persons? If so could you put these on this thread. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know whether Mill's justification for tolerance is autonomy-based liberalism or neutral based liberalism?

ReputationRep:
    For reason and experience my teacher thinks there will be a question on rationalism, anyone have an idea on what's coming up for persons?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what might come up for the Idea of God section? D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivxx)
    Does anyone know what might come up for the Idea of God section? D:
    I'm thinking the 30 mark question with either be on assessing the ontological argument OR The idea of god as innate

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking the 30 mark question with either be on assessing the ontological argument OR The idea of god as innate
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is "the idea of god as innate" Descartes' trademark argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiallD)
    For Reason & Experience I'm kinda confused about Plato's cave analogy and what exactly it shows and what theory on knowledge it supports etc could any help me to understand it?

And also, what's the deal with Locke and innate ideas and universal assent, why is he wrong about that?
    Plato's Cave Analogy: there are prisoners in a cave, facing a wall with a fire between them and the wall. They have never seen the outside world, and so they think the shadows cast on the wall by people outside the cave are in fact real people; they know no better. One day, one of these prisoners escapes from the cave, sees the real people outside, and rushes back in to tell her friends that the shadows are only reflections of people. However, the other prisoners don't believe this escaped prisoner. They still believe these shadows are real, and call intelligent the person who guesses correctly what shadow shape will appear on the wall next.

It's meant to show, if I recall correctly, how our senses may deceive us. Most people trust in their sense experiences, unaware of how deceptive the senses are. Only those who have recollected their innate knowledge of the Forms are able to realise that sense experience is deceiving. TLDR; our senses are deceiving, we have to trust in the non-doubtable Forms/innate knowledge we possess.

Locke: Locke believes that we cannot have innate ideas. This is because if we had innate ideas, we would all have the same idea, level of understanding or agreed definition of a particular concept, like God or causation (because the idea would be innate to all of us). However, there is no idea/concept that we all universally hold or agree upon. Young children and the mentally deficient, for example, do not have or are not able to comprehend the precise idea of causation. Everything needs to be experienced before it becomes an idea. Even a simple and apparently a priori proposition like 'The black box cannot be white all over' requires concepts of black, white and unity to be understood, concepts which must be gained empirically. TLDR; if we were born with innate ideas, this would be evident in a universally shared or held idea. There is no universally held or shared idea, so we do not have innate ideas.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    Reason and experience questions from Jan 2013? and Why should i be moral aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayeshy)
    Is "the idea of god as innate" Descartes' trademark argument?
    Yes it it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaiden)
    Plato's Cave Analogy: there are prisoners in a cave, facing a wall with a fire between them and the wall. They have never seen the outside world, and so they think the shadows cast on the wall by people outside the cave are in fact real people; they know no better. One day, one of these prisoners escapes from the cave, sees the real people outside, and rushes back in to tell her friends that the shadows are only reflections of people. However, the other prisoners don't believe this escaped prisoner. They still believe these shadows are real, and call intelligent the person who guesses correctly what shadow shape will appear on the wall next.

It's meant to show, if I recall correctly, how our senses may deceive us. Most people trust in their sense experiences, unaware of how deceptive the senses are. Only those who have recollected their innate knowledge of the Forms are able to realise that sense experience is deceiving. TLDR; our senses are deceiving, we have to trust in the non-doubtable Forms/innate knowledge we possess.

Locke: Locke believes that we cannot have innate ideas. This is because if we had innate ideas, we would all have the same idea, level of understanding or agreed definition of a particular concept, like God or causation (because the idea would be innate to all of us). However, there is no idea/concept that we all universally hold or agree upon. Young children and the mentally deficient, for example, do not have or are not able to comprehend the precise idea of causation. Everything needs to be experienced before it becomes an idea. Even a simple and apparently a priori proposition like 'The black box cannot be white all over' requires concepts of black, white and unity to be understood, concepts which must be gained empirically. TLDR; if we were born with innate ideas, this would be evident in a universally shared or held idea. There is no universally held or shared idea, so we do not have innate ideas.

Hope that helped.
    Thank you so much, that really helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameshfirth)
    Reason and experience questions from Jan 2013? and Why should i be moral aswell?
    Reason & Experience Jan 2013 15 marker was about the difference between a priori and a posteriori knowledge, and 30 marker was 'How convincing is the claim at birth the mind is a tabula rasa?' Would have been so nice to have gotten those two questions, likelihood is our ones will be really hard and conceptual schemes will probably come up Don't know about Why Should I Be Moral, sorry! Would be grateful if anyone else did though as I'm doing that for the exam tomorrow as well as R&E.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck to everyone for tomorrow, I hope everything goes well for everyone!

Lets all hope the reason and experience 30 mark question is NOT based on Conceptual schemes.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm ok on Conceptual Schemes now but the Sapir-Whorf thing's really confusing me, is it a criticism of conceptual schemes because it shows that we have different concepts of time to Hopi Indians? And Kant thinks that everyone has the same conceptual schemes?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up for The idea of god Q and A?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the Jan 2013 questions for Why Should I Be Governed?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up for The idea of god Q and A?
    yeah i'll do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student8)
    yeah i'll do it
    ok, i'll start:

Explain briefly, 2 accounts of the origin of the idea of god.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.