Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Extremely intelligent. If I was, I'd be able to get like 14 A*s in my GCSEs, 4 A*s (including presumably General Studies, if I was extremely intelligent I'd probably be in the gifted and talented groups that offer General Studies to people) in my A Levels, and be able to go onto Oxbridge, or LSE, or Harvard or something, get a degree in Law or Medicine or something, end up becoming a millionaire because I keep on saving lives and winning cases or whatever. And everyone knows that looks don't matter when you have enough money, so I'd have the best of both worlds.
    Surely this is a bit delusional.

ReputationRep:
    extremely gooood loooking. damn i wanna look like my girl iggy!

ReputationRep:
    I'll stick with having both thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for me, I am both. It is a curse

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Well it would be easier than a stupid person no?
    Perhaps, in some cases. Then again, with celebrity culture as it is, income isn't directly proportional to level of intelligence. It's more proportional to productivity.

What about those 'intelligent' people who work in academia. It's not a massively productive occupation for most, in terms of short-term, monetary profit. So they don't get paid large salaries, despite their difficult pHD qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be extremely intelligent. Anybody can find love, and that way you'd have your perfect job and the world would be your oyster, as well as having a lover/kids/a family etc so smiles all round

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    Surely this is a bit delusional.
    Maybe, but it's a commonly known fact that having a good job and having a lot of money helps when you're trying to look for a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    The rewards of beauty are fleeting. The rewards of intelligence will last as long as humans exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    With extreme intelligence you could solve world hunger and develop technology to prolong and improve everyone's and your own life. No one needs appearances if they can achieve that.
    Surely it's a bit of a jump to go from being extremely intelligent to solving world hunger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member591354)
    Do you study at Oxford or Cambridge? If not, then you are not that intelligent.
    Agreed. Damn Harvard and MIT idiots thinking they're intelligent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Agreed. Damn Harvard and MIT idiots thinking they're intelligent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was speaking about the UK, not the world. Of course you are very intelligent if you go to Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member591354)
    I was speaking about the UK, not the world. Of course you are very intelligent if you go to Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc.
    You are the reason people think students from those university's are snobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    The rewards of beauty are fleeting. The rewards of intelligence will last as long as humans exist.
    wise statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timikji)
    Extreme intelligence which I'd use to make lots of money that I could then use to make myself better looking.
    loool wise

ReputationRep:
    i'd say I've been blessed with both!

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, so what you're saying is I have to give up either my stunning looks or my mind-blowing intelligence?

Do I have to? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be how I am, I'm not a genius but I am very intelligent, I am not a supermodel but I am easy on the eyes.
    If I could pick one-I would choose to be better looking.

Intelligence is subjective anyway. Looks are too, but perhaps not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    Intelligence is subjective anyway. Looks are too, but perhaps not so much.
    I would have thought it was the opposite?

Intelligence is something that can be - and is - more accurately measured. While test score and academic qualifications aren't cast iron proof that one person is more intelligent than another, it is an indicator in most cases. Obviously people possess different kinds of intelligence, but it's a more gaugeable quality.

Beauty is more to do with opinion (the eye of the beholder...) Case in point: Everyone who knows him thinks Stephen Hawking is intelligent, while not everyone thinks Angelina Jolie is attractive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.