Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Neither is heterosexuality because, heterosexual people *tend* to have kids which mostly ends up burning a hole in your wallet/back pocket.
    I agree, if you are not financially stable, do not reproduce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I've learnt that people like superiority, and to be superior you need people beneath you. It makes people feel good to know that they're in a position to dictate what's wrong and right, hence, homophobes, saying how wrong it is to be gay.( In my opinion.)
    I've had to think long and hard before coming to a rough conclusion on my thoughts regarding this particular subject. I believe that it is indeed a question of nature, and nurture. I know people that find it very hard coming to terms with their sexuality, not because they believe it's wrong, but because they believe that society believes it's wrong. Honestly, I that homosexual relationships are just as complex as heterosexual relationships; ie- not all gay people go out clubbing at night and take home a stranger for a bit of action. It's indifferent to a straight person doing the same. But somehow, society automatically looks down on the homosexual. I also come to a similar conclusion. I think that a loving relationship between two men / two women is no different to that of a heterosexual counterpart. It also upsets me to think that people believe that all gay men are sex-addicted, fetish loving paedophiles. Since when has anyone been able to choose who they fall in love with?

(Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I also think that some of them have been indoctrinated to feel that homosexuality is wrong, and that it should only be man and woman, by, parents, religions etc...
    I feel anxious to find out whether these traits have been passed down to younger generations by parents, teachers, imams, priests, peers, etc. I hope to god that the children of the UK learn to see both sides of the argument. Otherwise, we'll end up living in the stone age while everyone else progresses and prospers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    To tolerate is to allow the existence of something, under sufferance.
    I don't know where you got this definition, but nobody said anything about "sufferance".

The Oxford English dictionary says that Tolerance means "the ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with".

That's exactly how I understand it. You don't agree or accept it, but you tolerate it.

It is more a willing co-existence than anything to do with "sufferance".

(Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I don't think it was shut down because the thread starter had alternate views, in fact it was open for a very long time. I think it was removed because it got off topic
    A shame, as it was a topic with good discussion from both sides apart from the off-topic nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr12)
    Most people wouldn't really have too much of a problem with homosexuals even though they might disagree with homosexuality. Modern day society is trying to force everyone to automatically accept homosexuals and if they don't, it questions those peoples morals, calling them homophobic etc. I think when this comes into play that's when people start feeling more strongly against homosexuality.
    I think that is what a lot of it is down to.

On a vaguely related note, I know that one of my cousins applied for a work experience placement and was rejected because the company only took people on who attended a state school, were eligible for free school dinners and would be the first person in their family to attend university. Surely the best way to avoid discrimination would be to ignore people's backgrounds, rather than punish certain groups whom society deems privileged. I know that this is a cause of a lot of resentment (things like LGBT only schemes etc.)

Sorry, but I did say it was only vaguely related.

Neg away.

ReputationRep:
    Someone copied Tyler Oakley!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I support gay marriage but I don't think any religious organisation should be forced to do same sex ceremonies. If a church wants to then fine they can have a traditional wedding according to their religion but with same sex but if not then forcing them is wrong..even though I think they are retards for not supporting same sex marriage it is not my place to force my views on them. Seems like the real "libertarian" thing to do. Force is wrong. Saying gay people can't marry is wrong and on the same thought pattern forcing a religious organization to do something they don't support is wrong. Government has no right to do either. Seems like the best balance. As long as what you do does not infringe then freedoms of others then no one should stop you from doing it. I mean do you think if gay marriage was legal and the Catholic church was forced to do same sex ceremonies it would stop their disapproval of homosexuality? Surely forcing it on them would only cause more tension and discrimination towards gay people. Government (or anyone) should not be allowed to force any private organisation to do anything and tell them how to run their affairs. In the sense that a private club has the right to include or not include whoever they like. people will never get along on some things and some people will always dislike others for reasons like race, sexuality etc. and that is a sad fact. But forcing people to accept something using laws is wrong and won't change jack. the best hope we have is through not respecting what we do but respecting our right to do it. Best thing to do is to leave each other alone as dinner ladies use to say.

ReputationRep:
    I am sick to death of gays. Not as people. But with gay issues. I can't seem to turn the TV on or read a newspaper without reading about some gay issue or another.

I was half watching an interview with an author I've never heard of the other day and the most "interesting" thing about him seemed to be that he was gay. He couldn't start a sentance without starting with "As a gay man......." and the interviewer couldn't ask him a question which didn't start with "So, as a gay writer.........."

The whole interview seemed focused on the fact that the guy was gay. Never mind if his books were any good or a pile of **** the central fact that the watcher had to be aware of was that he was not just a writer - he was a "gay writer" His entire career, personality, stories of early childhood, and very being seemed to revolve on the fact that he was gay. What a yawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ells_Bells92)
    I support gay marriage but I don't think any religious organisation should be forced to do same sex ceremonies. If a church wants to then fine they can have a traditional wedding according to their religion but with same sex but if not then forcing them is wrong..even though I think they are retards for not supporting same sex marriage it is not my place to force my views on them. Seems like the real "libertarian" thing to do. Force is wrong. Saying gay people can't marry is wrong and on the same thought pattern forcing a religious organization to do something they don't support is wrong. Government has no right to do either. Seems like the best balance. As long as what you do does not infringe then freedoms of others then no one should stop you from doing it. I mean do you think if gay marriage was legal and the Catholic church was forced to do same sex ceremonies it would stop their disapproval of homosexuality? Surely forcing it on them would only cause more tension and discrimination towards gay people. Government (or anyone) should not be allowed to force any private organisation to do anything and tell them how to run their affairs. In the sense that a private club has the right to include or not include whoever they like. people will never get along on some things and some people will always dislike others for reasons like race, sexuality etc. and that is a sad fact. But forcing people to accept something using laws is wrong and won't change jack. the best hope we have is through not respecting what we do but respecting our right to do it. Best thing to do is to leave each other alone as dinner ladies use to say.
    I am an ordained Anglican deacon who will likely be elevated to the priesthood later this yaer. I don't care what the law says today or how it might change years from now. I will NEVER conduct a gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I am an ordained Anglican deacon who will likely be elevated to the priesthood later this yaer. I don't care what the law says today or how it might change years from now. I will NEVER conduct a gay marriage.
    I would hope that gay couples would have better sense than to go to the church to get married.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    I would hope that gay couples would have better sense than to go to the church to get married.
    Why? There are many same-sex couples where one or both of them are Christians. If there are churches willing to marry them, I see no issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    There will be no shortage of ministers from various denominations that will give them a church wedding if that's what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Hi yeah, I'm the OP of this thread, (if you go back far enough), and reading through the thread makes me a little sad. All this discussion on whether it's a choice or not, or whether it's socially acceptable or not etc etc etc ... That was what my original point was trying to say, (I might have gone about it in a roundabout way)... Why do people bother criticising this subject?

I'm presuming, statistically, that most of the people in this thread are heterosexual. That means the issue of gay marriage or relationships or whatever doesn't change your own life one iota. So why hate? Why even bother commenting? That's my point. Why do people feel like they have to criticise something that has NO bearing AT ALL on their own lives. Why why why can't humanity just accept that it is love? Quite simply, love.

ReputationRep:
    Yall are crazy ass tricks. If you are homophobic... bye. Case closed you are all crusty if you disagree. Go ahead and neg my comments but imma neg your whole life. LONG LIVE THE GAYS. I have too many gay friends that i need to stick up for and if people don't like it then "yolo" as my good pal drake would say. Peace out girl scout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DEVVO)
    To whoever keeps giving a thumbs down to the comments that are for gay people, learn to deal with opinions. Being homophobic is not going to get you anywhere in life. No matter what you religion, parents and friends say, homophobia is not to be tolerated and should not be accepted.
    It isn't me - but with this, if it is as simple as "listening to opinions" - that works both ways, both gays listening to hetero opinions and vice versa.

Just because a hetero disagrees does not make them homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    It isn't me - but with this, if it is as simple as "listening to opinions" - that works both ways, both gays listening to hetero opinions and vice versa.

Just because a hetero disagrees does not make them homophobic.
    I challenge you to disagree with homosexuality without being homophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's like saying, I'm not racist but I don't like the blacks.

It doesn't work!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ells_Bells92)
    I support gay marriage but I don't think any religious organisation should be forced to do same sex ceremonies.
    I agree. I do however, feel that any institution which refuses to do so should be stripped of any benefits it gets from being a religious institution. If an institution or club wishes to be discriminatory, let them, but it should not be endorsed by the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omanand)
    I challenge you to disagree with homosexuality without being homophobic.
    Nonsense.

If that was the case, by your logic if anyone said anything against something (e.g. Let's say the person didn't like or disagreed with school - does that make them an 'educophobe')?

I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense.

If that was the case, by your logic if anyone said anything against something (e.g. Let's say the person didn't like or disagreed with school - does that make them an 'educophobe')?

I think not.
    You can have a valid reason for disliking school (you are being very severely bullied and have tried to stop it on multiple occasions but have been unsuccessful), I've yet to come across a valid argument against gay people (you're still entitled to your feelings, but this doesn't translate to less rights or being able to bully an individual etc. etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense.

I think not.
    I didn't relate it to anything else, I specifically related it to the issue of homosexuality. I asked whether you could give an opinion/judgement without being influenced by external factors (e.g. society, inclinations, duty, religion, etcetera.)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.