Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is great but nothing is like seeing a bishops cat swung round the room by his niece in canterbury.

Is canterbury as posh as windsor?

Are castles more to snobs liking than cathedrals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Presumably you're saying the quality of Cambridge applicants is higher than Oxford's, outweighing Oxford's greater applicant quantity. Do you have any way of quantifying the sum quality of each applicant?
    Thought I was being serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Entry to Ox is more competed for, but entry to Cam is more competitive.
    :smokin:
    Oh no! It's smokin' man! Cambridge smokers are so pithily witsome. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    I think the correct reply is yes if they went to public school the chances are they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Oh no! It's smokin' man! Cambridge smokers are so pithily witsome. :zomg:
    Indeed darling. I hope you weren't too flustered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Indeed darling. I hope you weren't too flustered.
    Flustered??! I nearly fell off my chair from larfing so haaardddd!!! :nutcase:

TBF though you do have the Footlights, which we are secretly envious of.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't suoose they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Having said that, tone is nigh on impossible to interpret on the internet and it's not an inconceivable opinion. With the generally higher grade requirements at Cambridge there is at least some basis for arguing that the quality of applicants will be higher.
    I don't think that's a very good argument at all

I've got the feeling that average UCAS points is higher at Cambridge though.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge students do when you bust into their tripos thread. I just got banned.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised if I do if I'm taller than you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthestig)
    You shall regret saying that
    Damn it, GET OFF MY POSTS! SHOO!

ReputationRep:
    Did your parents go to Oxbridge its a bit like saying Did you go to a good school was it in a catchment area.
    God theres so many frauds in there they could close the place down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I don't think that's a very good argument at all

I've got the feeling that average UCAS points is higher at Cambridge though.
    LoL get it UMAS UCAS ??

I wouldnt look down on anyone over the age of 5 I'm really short.

Heres some change proletariant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British-Student)
    Damn it, GET OFF MY POSTS! SHOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    What's the course? And which uni did you graduate from?
    Sorry, I'm still undergrad at Birmingham but as demonstrators they've been terrible. There's one in particular who just doesn't care. I doubt very much it's a general thing as my tutor went to cambridge and he's great, but this guy in particular is terrible!

ReputationRep:
    You get snobbery everywhere. I'd imagine some oxbridge students do look down on others, the same way that some RG students look down on ex-poly uni students. Can't really tar everyone with the same brush, I know a couple of people who go to Oxbridge and are really nice, grateful to be there kind of people. Not everyone is a snob!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UCL and a lot of my fellow students (including me) are 'oxbridge rejects'.
    Though I was initially incredibly disappointed, I am now completely certain that UCL is the right place for me and I'm thrilled I'm not at Oxford (where I applied 3 years + ago).

The general sentiment amongst people I've come across at UCL and also some at Durham etc is a little hostility towards Oxbridge students. This comes in the form of 'we are just as clever/work just as hard but have a social life too' with the stereotype being that Oxbridge students are all nerdy recluses who are smug and self-important. This isn't a very surprising stereotype (though I'm sure it's non-factual) given the media and general reputation of Oxford and Cambridge.

What I'm interested in is what Oxbridge students tend to think of students at other universities. Is there a general 'UCL' or 'Durham' or Bristol stereotype that you're aware of? I'm curious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundogs)
    I'm at UCL and a lot of my fellow students (including me) are 'oxbridge rejects'.
    Though I was initially incredibly disappointed, I am now completely certain that UCL is the right place for me and I'm thrilled I'm not at Oxford (where I applied 3 years + ago).

The general sentiment amongst people I've come across at Oxford and also some at Durham etc is a little hostility towards Oxbridge students. This comes in the form of 'we are just as clever/work just as hard but have a social life too' with the stereotype being that Oxbridge students are all nerdy recluses who are smug and self-important. This isn't a very surprising stereotype (though I'm sure it's non-factual) given the media and general reputation of Oxford and Cambridge.

What I'm interested in is what Oxbridge students tend to think of students at other universities. Is there a general 'UCL' or 'Durham' or Bristol stereotype that you're aware of? I'm curious!
    I don't think Oxbridge students really think or discuss anything about students at other universities, other than to generally moan about how much easier they have it.

ReputationRep:
    As above

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid post and what has it got to do with disability?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.