Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    I see.. fair enough... Yeh, long time since a European trophy. Last time we got to the final was indeed 23 years ago.I have to admit our manager has done a very good job in bringing back some prestige to our club in terms of European football. (...)
    And from that reason it would be a fair reward for Benfica, if the team wins the final at the end. Then the efforts would have paid off.

(Original post by aa22)
    Overall its been good progress... and the Champions League final at the Estadio da Luz is looming next season.. one can dream
    I didn't know so far that the final will stage in Lisbon in 2014. Thanks for information. Estadio da Luz, "The stadium of light" - that sounds glorious and fits perfect for a final in champions league, if you asked me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Sorry, I haven't been able to watch any Dutch football at all recently. :sad: Title pretty much off to Ajax, then. The battle for second spot still looks tight, though, what do you reckon's happening there? Also, thoughts on Ebicillio signing for Twente? I've heard good things about him throughout the time he's been at Arsenal. :holmes:
    Hey abiral to the eft. :sexface:

Sad times, bro. :sad: Do you think you'll watch it next season though?

As of this weekend, it is indeed Ajax's again. :yep: PSV's entertaining 4-2 win over NEC has all but secured second place, unless Feyenoord plan on winning 38-0 next weekend! :mmm:

I'm about to watch the Dutch Cup Final infact: PSV v AZ - should be good. It will be some of the PSV players' last chance to make a good impression as the club are in debt and will need to sell some of their players next season. :sadnod: Apparently it due to them not making the Champions League this season or last season, the money won't be provided to make up for the millions they spent. **** Advocaat (PSV manager) said it would be a transition next season when the current assistant manager: Phillip Cocu takes over.

Ebelicio is supposedly a replacement for Leroy Fer. But since Twente's recent awful run, speculation on their players has died down a lot. He's turned into a defensive midfielder since his Arsenal days, as far as I'm aware he used to be a striker, no? :holmes:

Hopefully next season there will be a drastic improvement for Dutch teams in Europe, as quite frankly, this season was an embarrassment seeing as in the previous 4 seasons, the Dutch teams in Europe have very much given a good impression. :yes: I shall give an early tip of the hat to Feyenoord to do well in European competition next season, with the likes of Pelle, Shaken, Boetius Clasie, De Vrij, Martins-Indi and Mulder around. Although that's given that they keep the majority of those players which is never a given in the Eredivisie... :rolleyes: However they do plan instead to strengthen, will Romelu Lukaku a name being thrown around to supplement their attack already.
    We'll have to see how much money PSV will spend in the summer, for sure they need to improve their defence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Pacos would definitely be a tough match, but the thing about Pacos is that, if they beat Academica this weekend they will guarantee third place. Then the last match won't really matter to them and Porto will probably have an easier match if that happens.

So yeh... that Pacos-Academica match will also have some sort of small impact on the destination of the title. Unless Benfica win... which I really really doubt.. I can't even remember the last time we won at the Dragao apart from that one time we won 2-0 (or 2-1) with both goals coming from Nuno Gomes I think... that was a long time ago..

VP staying again would be funny.. dunno how the Porto fans would feel about letting go of a manager who has won the league in both of his first two seasons.
    Yeah, it's another game that depends on this weekend too. Fantastic for them if they do finally have that place set in stone. Tremendous season, they deserve it.

Bottom of the table is also very close, a few can still get relegated.

Yeah, 5 or 6 years ago i think that game was. Wasn't that the first game they had beat Porto at our ground since the early 90s? I think, I could be wrong. But yes, it's rare... which is probably why you'll beat us this weekend. Ground has sold out though. It's gonna be a nervy one.

VP to Everton? What has he done to make him so attractive for a job like that? There are better managers out there. Even if we do win the league it will be by the luck of Benfica making that one slip up. Our football has been ugly but just about managed to pull a win off at times. BUT that would be consecutive titles for VP whilst at Porto and could go this whole season unbeaten... it doesn't quite make sense to get rid of him. Oh, I don't know. He's a confusing one!

ReputationRep:
    Big rumors flying about that Falcao is set to sign for Monaco.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Big rumors flying about that Falcao is set to sign for Monaco.

:lolwut:
    There is some legal wrangling at the moment regarding how they are going to pay tax to the players now that they are back in the top flight. The other clubs are not happy at all about them not having to pay tax.

I imagine any bids for players will be put on hold until this is sorted.

ReputationRep:
    AZ have beaten PSV in the Dutch Cup Final 2-1.
    Jozy Altidore, Adam Maher and Jurgen Locadia in the goals.

Also, what is it with Ajax and being clumsy with the Eredivisie Shield?
    A few years ago, goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenberg dropped the shield off the victory parade bus, now Daley Blind drops it this year! :lol:

Maarten Stekelenberg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCELZPsI5g

Daley Blind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt2KaMup8Ww

ReputationRep:
    Even though it's over a year away, any world cup predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeyboy 12)
    Germany are my favourites to win

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Germany are my favourites to win
    Disagree. Whenever it was crunch-time, Germany failed. That's why I don't expect the victory. What the German team need is self-confidence to defeat the favorites in a crucial moment (Spain in semi-final in 2010, Italy in semi-final in 2012 as well). Otherwise Germany will never win the world or European championship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    :eek:

Porto vs Benfica next weekend will be absolutely crazy!

I know i had given up on this title but i did not see Benfica dropping points anywhere.

Has it been confirmed for Saturday at 8:30 now? You have to watch it... you'll have to say you're too ill to attend the wedding.

Game on!
    Looks like the europa league final will be interesting now. Both teams have games they really need a result in before the final. Will be interesting. Feel benfica will lose the title and lose to chelsea. I don't see them beating porto with a final to worry about as well but maybe they could get a draw and win the title that way.

(Original post by Kallisto)
    Disagree. Whenever it was crunch-time, Germany failed. That's why I don't expect the victory. What the German team need is self-confidence to defeat the favorites in a crucial moment (Spain in semi-final in 2010, Italy in semi-final in 2012 as well). Otherwise Germany will never win the world or European championship.
    Germany are like a better version of england personally. Ridiculously arrogant, great players but nothing to show for it because they have no mental strength when it gets to a semi final or a final. Germany, spain and brazil(yes brazil) are my favourites for the tournament. Think italy will go out in the second round though. Verrati will probably be starting in the world cup I feel to start displacing pirlo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    (...) Germany, spain and brazil(yes brazil) are my favourites for the tournament. Think italy will go out in the second round though. Verrati will probably be starting in the world cup I feel to start displacing pirlo.
    I give Germany credits to win, if Löw is able to motivate the national team like Klopp in Dortmund or Heynckes in Munich. Otherwise waiting for win goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I give Germany credits to win, if Löw is able to motivate the national team like Klopp in Dortmund or Heynckes in Munich. Otherwise waiting for win goes on.
    Do you think low is a good manager?
    I like how he displaced the old people and got the younguns like ozil, kroos, khedira, muller, reus, hummels, badstuber, boateng in for the 2010 and 2012 world cup and euros.
    But they've been tactically outclassed in 2 consecutive semi finals. I guess it's a young team, but I think that by 2016 he should win a world cup unless another country e.g. belgium does a golden generation and wins a world cup/euros.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the europa league final will be interesting now. Both teams have games they really need a result in before the final. Will be interesting. Feel benfica will lose the title and lose to chelsea. I don't see them beating porto with a final to worry about as well but maybe they could get a draw and win the title that way.
    If Benfica lose the title and the final in the space of the week it will be absolutely devastating for them. Like I've said to aa22, they deserve this league more than us. We've been a bit dodgy this season whereas Benfica have looked solidly better from their manager straight through to their forwards. Although we've had Jackson banging them in Benfica have had both Lima and Cardozo taking a share of the goals. I think our next top goal scorer after Jackson is James, who has been injured for a big part of the season so that says a lot about up front. To think I laughed at that Lima signing when he signed in the summer was pure stupidity of me. He's been a brilliant signing.

I have a feeling the game on Saturday will finish all square and it will be Benfica who will have this years title with their name on.

The Europa final will be a difficult one to choose between either team but I do feel if Benfica head into that match with the title theirs or almost theirs then they will be playing with the highest possible confidence but heading into that match IF we beat them on Saturday would be an utter blow as these past few months this this title has looked like it was heading nowhere else but Lisbon so that could mentally mess them up a bit. I don't see that happening though. I wouldn't like to call which way the final will go though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do you think low is a good manager? (...)
    A question which requires a different answer. To cut a long story short: As measured by the style of the play, yes he is. But as measured by successes, no he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think the next 6 days are gonna completely destroy our entire season. I mean, the Porto match is the priority.. we will be going all out in that one, probably risking a lot of injuries to our more fatigued players. If we end up losing that (which, I'd say is quite likely), it'll be a massive blow to the players confidence.. that, together with tiredness, we definitely won't win the Europa, especially since the opponent is a team of Chelsea's class.. that midfield trio of Mata/Oscar/Hazard, along with Luiz in midfield, scares the crap out of me.... there is absolutely no way we will be able to cope with that..

Chelsea have pretty much everything sorted already. The draw vs Spurs pretty much guarantees that they finish in top 4, unless they completely implode against Aston Villa and Everton and lose both matches, so they can take it fairly easy against Villa this weekend and possibly rest one or two key players..

Yeah, it's another game that depends on this weekend too. Fantastic for them if they do finally have that place set in stone. Tremendous season, they deserve it.

Bottom of the table is also very close, a few can still get relegated.

Yeah, 5 or 6 years ago i think that game was. Wasn't that the first game they had beat Porto at our ground since the early 90s? I think, I could be wrong. But yes, it's rare... which is probably why you'll beat us this weekend. Ground has sold out though. It's gonna be a nervy one.

VP to Everton? What has he done to make him so attractive for a job like that? There are better managers out there. Even if we do win the league it will be by the luck of Benfica making that one slip up. Our football has been ugly but just about managed to pull a win off at times. BUT that would be consecutive titles for VP whilst at Porto and could go this whole season unbeaten... it doesn't quite make sense to get rid of him. Oh, I don't know. He's a confusing one!
    Heh, I hope Pacos lose against Academica though >_>

I really don't want the weekend to come.. too nervous about what is about to happen >_<

Honestly don't understand the talk about VP to Everton... it seems completely laughable that any team would even be interested. There isn't even any talk about it in the English press (I haven't read his name anywhere on any article) so I don't know why they keep insisting on it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)

Heh, I hope Pacos lose against Academica though >_>

I really don't want the weekend to come.. too nervous about what is about to happen >_<

Honestly don't understand the talk about VP to Everton... it seems completely laughable that any team would even be interested. There isn't even any talk about it in the English press (I haven't read his name anywhere on any article) so I don't know why they keep insisting on it..
    For once, i'm actually excited for tomorrow's game and not nervous. Maybe if i was in your position i would be nervous because you have a lot more to lose from this. I gave up this title a couple of weeks ago, all along this looked like yours. I guess i'm still surprised it has actually come to this game as i really thought after we messed up that was it. So even if it comes to nothing for Porto i've kinda been expecting to get nothing this season anyway. Big day in Portugal but not just between our game elsewhere too as there are a few other games which could decide a few other positions in the table. Quite an exciting end to the season.

I know, very strange! IF we win the title i think we have no choice but will have to offer him a new contract. Whether he accepts it or not is a different matter but it would seem very harsh not to at least offer him a contract. I'm not sure if i would actually want him to accept though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It looks like Kelvin's 92nd winner for Porto has edged them towards winning the league. :eek:

Crazy end at the Dragão.

ReputationRep:
    And there you go. Congratulations once again on the title.

I cannot believe what has just happened to our season in these last 7 days. Completely and utterly thrown away all the hard work. We didn't play to win tonight, we definitely played for a draw, and to lose it like that right at the end absolutely destroys you and quite frankly it was deserved. Can't believe why we played so negatively... Roderick came on when there were still 25 MINUTES to play ffs..

I'm just at a loss of words right now... we won't win the Europa League either, I've never expected us to beat Chelsea, but we've lost the league very embarrassingly once again... and to think we celebrated as if we'd won the title against Maritimo... what a joke..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeyboy 12)
    Germany to win closely followed by the likes of Spain, Argentina & Brazil (just because of home advantage), then the next level below I'd put in teams such as England, Belgium, France, Italy, Netherlands, Croatia, Portugal, Russia, Colombia, Ivory Coast & Mexico.

ReputationRep:
    Still going to put Spain as favourites. Their defense when there's Pique and Ramos is beastly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.