Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    Yeah im pretty crap at surds and indices too.. heres hoping they dont come up!
    This is me to the SQA :please:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This is me to the SQA :please:
    hopefully in the paper 2 we will get a quadratic formula and standard deviation question like they did a couple of years ago, its an easy 8 marks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    hopefully in the paper 2 we will get a quadratic formula and standard deviation question like they did a couple of years ago, its an easy 8 marks
    I hope so, standard deviation is so easy I think it should be a general level concept but I hope we won't get shafted with those pesky cosx - 5(2cosx) 0 > x < 360 questions. They get on my nerves.

ReputationRep:
    I like surds and indices. Only thing I can do . Apparently Spanish was absolutely solid today. Unlucky guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was actually just thinking this 20 minutes ago. Lol and princepieman I like Trig Equations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have barely even done anything today because I can remember the answers for most questions in every pastpaper

ReputationRep:
    I have barely even done anything today because I can remember the answers for most questions in every pastpaper
    QFT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite confident I hope trig identities or iteration don't make a guest appearance we've briefly talked about them but I barely know anything on them, I can't find any practice questions since they haven't appeared for so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    I'm quite confident I hope trig identities or iteration don't make a guest appearance we've briefly talked about them but I barely know anything on them, I can't find any practice questions since they haven't appeared for so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heres every pastpaper since 1995 if that helps https://perthacademymaths.wikispaces...it+Past+Papers

ReputationRep:
    Heres every pastpaper since 1995 if that helps https://perthacademymaths.wikispaces...it+Past+Papers
    Thanks! I'll try and scour through them for a question aha!

EDIT: iPads not wanting me to get to the page fate is against me! Ahaha time for the computer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is trig identities again ?

Also never heard of iteration , so it won't come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that thing where its sine= tan/cos (probably the wrong way round)
    they never come up because its part of the higher course so im not worried about them

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is the tanx=sinx/cosx and sin*2*x+cos*2*x=1, *2* is meant to be squared, stuff and iteration is just to do with cutting the x-axis in parabolas or lines I've forgotten but its very tedious. It's not to say it won't appear, it's in the syllabus but it is very unlikely to do so, thank god for now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    It is the tanx=sinx/cosx and sin*2*x+cos*2*x=1, *2* is meant to be squared, stuff and iteration is just to do with cutting the x-axis in parabolas or lines I've forgotten but its very tedious. It's not to say it won't appear, it's in the syllabus but it is very unlikely to do so, thank god for now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is iteration when you have to find a x coordinate on a graph and you have to keep putting numbers into the formula until it = 0?

ReputationRep:
    Is iteration when you have to find a x coordinate on a graph and you have to keep putting numbers into the formula until it = 0?
    Yeah, it is like y=2x*2*+x+3 or whatever crosses between 2 and 3 find where it crosses to one dp and you put in 2.5 into the equation and you might get a positive or negative answer and basically you narrow it down between two numbers say 2.5 and 2.6 where one is positive and one is negative and you find which it is closest to. It is a lot of effort for nothing tbh ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    An "identity" is an equation that is true for every possible value for x. A trigonometric identity is just an identity involving trigonometric functions. As with the examples above: \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}. This is an identity as it's true for ANY value of x. Could be 0.0045, could be 13, could be 360, could be 745. True for all possible values of x.

Maths is honestly an extremely logical subject, and once you start to think logically and can keep a bit of knowledge in your head, it becomes very easy. I wasn't very good at maths at Standard Grade either, but part of the way through Higher and into Advanced Higher, I started to get really really good and fell in love with the subject as I saw how logical and beautiful it was. The problem is that I feel mathematics is woefully taught at secondary schools, and it becomes an exercise of "memorise how to do this; repeat it in the exam" as opposed to teaching for understanding of WHY things work the way they do.

I remember at Standard Grade I was taught "change the side; change the sign" to rearrange equations. That ****ed me as I kept rearranging equations wrongly when following that rule. It's not until I realised that what you're actually performing is an operation to both sides of the equation that I finally got it and rearranging equations became the easiest thing in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Maths is honestly an extremely logical subject, and once you start to think logically and can keep a bit of knowledge in your head, it becomes very easy. I wasn't very good at maths at Standard Grade either, but part of the way through Higher and into Advanced Higher, I started to get really really good and fell in love with the subject as I saw how logical and beautiful it was. The problem is that I feel mathematics is woefully taught at secondary schools, and it becomes an exercise of "memorise how to do this; repeat it in the exam" as opposed to teaching for understanding of WHY things work the way they do.
    This is so me. I ****ing loved what we learnt of the Higher course, it's honestly easier tbh.

And sorry CanineVet didn't mean to put that !

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Spanish was absolutely solid today. Unlucky guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spanish was awful all of the past papers were much easier than that! I'd be surprised if I passed credit

Good luck for maths tomorrow everyone!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't matter. You're still working through questions in the correct manner, which is good practise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How did everyone find the credit math exam? The non-calculator was surprisingly easy and most of the calculator paper was straightforward, apart from the last question asking to prove the quadratic by using the cosine rule. Also, I completely blanked on the formula to find the area of a trapezoid so I just found the area of the two triangles at the sides and added that to the square in the middle. Can any of you remind me of what the formula is again?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.