Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    3 tips I must give if you are nervous on the plane:

1. take chewing gum because your ears will get blocked- can be cured by yawning.
    2. Take to do, because you will be very bored, preferably not a book if you get car sick easily.
    3. Take a salty snack if you feel sick, and because airline food is expensive and cr*p!

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to fly again I can't believe I was so nervous for my first time. I couldnt hear engines as I was sat exactly where you board the plane at the front next to the exit , at the back on the way back we were a row in front of the last row so was a bit noisy. Take off is my favourite part I love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    And I am back home in Scotland!

Last nights flight was a lot smoother than the first. My boyfriend's ears were fine this time thankfully.

Flying at night was soo much better. It was really cool looking at all the lights from the cities below

Thanks everyone for your posts. You all helped me remain calm on my first flight
    glad you made it back home safely!

ReputationRep:
    - In response to answering the question highlighted -

Some people like planes, others don't. All passenger aircraft come with a team of very friendly, well most of the time cabin crew (air hostess). They do security checks and secure the aircraft before passengers board to make sure everything is safe before flight. They will do the safety demonstration and point of the exits, give information of life jackets and oxygen masks. They then during the flight offer meals and drinks and other things you can buy will be highlighted in your in flight magazine.
    The flight may go through turbulence and the landing can be quite rough or 'hard' -> this is normal and is nothing to be concerned about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I fly back home tonight at 8:10pm. I have had an awesome time in Iceland but I am really glad to be heading back today, I miss my cats too much now haha

I'm still gonna hate take off but I will have a few JDs and coke before the flight lol

On the flight here, my boyfriend's ears popped so bad during landing that he thought he burst his eardrums and was almost screaming in pain. I have never heard of people experiencing that on a plane :O I know your ears pop, but nothing like that. I never noticed mine kept popping until I swallowed and could hear better again.
    I had that exact same problem when I was landing in New York last year, so I'm just hoping it doesn't happen when I go to Iceland next week!!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Summ3rSun)
    I had that exact same problem when I was landing in New York last year, so I'm just hoping it doesn't happen when I go to Iceland next week!!!!
    Aww I hope it doesn't happen to you again. My bf is a big, butch guy and that nearly had him crying in pain! Have a good time in Iceland I would do anything to go back lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendancoventry)
    - In response to answering the question highlighted -

Some people like planes, others don't. All passenger aircraft come with a team of very friendly, well most of the time cabin crew (air hostess). They do security checks and secure the aircraft before passengers board to make sure everything is safe before flight. They will do the safety demonstration and point of the exits, give information of life jackets and oxygen masks. They then during the flight offer meals and drinks and other things you can buy will be highlighted in your in flight magazine.
    The flight may go through turbulence and the landing can be quite rough or 'hard' -> this is normal and is nothing to be concerned about.
    Anyone bothered by turbulence, next time you're travelling by car or bus, picture yourself in a aircraft.

All the G-forces you are experiencing even on a pretty smooth road with the car accelerating and decelerating, going round bends or over bumps in the road, all that would be considered turbulence sufficient for the pilot to swich on the fasten seatbelts sign if it was in a plane.

But all that doesn't bother you in a car...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.