The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by skier16
Have you all been taught Party List in detail? We only covered it really roughly so we could mention it in an essay about FPRP v PR in general, I'm pretty certain I couldn't write a whole essay comparing FPTP and Party List!
:eek:
Do you think they could ask that?

At my school we have literally only focused on AMS, STV and FPTP.
This might be a stupid question but would the social and economic inequalities question that everyone is predicting for the USA topic be about the success of government policies to reduce them or could it be a different question?
Original post by youjustburnkid
This might be a stupid question but would the social and economic inequalities question that everyone is predicting for the USA topic be about the success of government policies to reduce them or could it be a different question?

You could be asked about the inequalities themself, or about how effective the government policies have been to reduce them.

The same way that for H+W you could be asked about the wealth inequalities that exist in the UK, or about how effective the government policies have been in reducing these inequalities.
So for the health and wealth topic, what are the predictions for that except for lifestyle affecting health? Or what else to revise for? thanks :redface:
Reply 184
I was looking through the past papers and it seems questions hardly ever come up two years in a row, so it's not likely to be on the Welfare State or Gender/ethnic inequalities. I'm still learning the gender/ethnic stuff though as it can be applied to other questions.
I'm thinking a 'wealth and health should be govt responsibility' type question might come up, and a 'lifestyle/poverty/income on health' one does seem likely.
Has anyone been looking at this site? http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Modern_Studies/Higher/Higher
There are some essays on there that got 15 marks which are good for revision :smile:
After a quick look at the past papers, I'm thinking either a question on the existence of health and/or wealth inequalities in the UK, or the effectiveness of government policies in reducing health and/or wealth. I'm going to go all out and say it will be specific to health/social inequalities though. :tongue:

They tend to ask either a question on health, wealth, gender, or race inequalities and/or the government policies in reducing these.
Original post by Ecosse_14
After a quick look at the past papers, I'm thinking either a question on the existence of health and/or wealth inequalities in the UK, or the effectiveness of government policies in reducing health and/or wealth. I'm going to go all out and say it will be specific to health/social inequalities though. :tongue:

They tend to ask either a question on health, wealth, gender, or race inequalities and/or the government policies in reducing these.

Hello,
I was wondering whether you thought it would be a risky idea to forgo revising voting behaviour, and just revise electoral systems given that behaviour has come up in the past two years? :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Hello,
I was wondering whether you thought it would be a risky idea to forgo revising voting behaviour, and just revise electoral systems given that behaviour has come up in the past two years? :smile:

If it was me I'd make sure I know a enough about voting behaviour to at least write a crappy essay on it (which you probably do already know without much revision), but concentrate on making sure I know the voting systems really well. From what I remember, voting behaviour isn't exactly a massive topic so just have a quick look over it just incase.
Reply 188
Hi,
I actually have no idea what to study the most for :frown: I do electoral systems & influences, social issues, america and politics of development. Can anybody tell me what essays I should absolutely study for? Any help will be appreciated :smile: Thank you!
Original post by Erin_Dee
Hi,
I actually have no idea what to study the most for :frown: I do electoral systems & influences, social issues, america and politics of development. Can anybody tell me what essays I should absolutely study for? Any help will be appreciated :smile: Thank you!

Have a read through this thread, there's been quite a few predictions. :yes:
By any chance anybody knows the predictions for devolved making in scotland? Thanks :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Ecosse_14
Have a read through this thread, there's been quite a few predictions. :yes:

Thank you :smile: I will do! Have you got any specific predictions? :colondollar:
Trying to memorise, like, 15 essay plans in about 2 weeks is AWFUL BANTER.
So glad I'm in sixth year/don't need this exam, ahhh it's a killer! How is everyone else getting on? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hollieeilloh
Trying to memorise, like, 15 essay plans in about 2 weeks is AWFUL BANTER.
So glad I'm in sixth year/don't need this exam, ahhh it's a killer! How is everyone else getting on? :tongue:

what do you predict will come up?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JessicaLee123
what do you predict will come up?

uhhh, pretty much just the same as everyone else has really! however for H&W i think gender and/or race will too
Original post by hollieeilloh
uhhh, pretty much just the same as everyone else has really! however for H&W i think gender and/or race will too

Do you think that will come up? It has been up twice in the last 3 years, my gut instinct tells me that it wont come up..... There is so much to remember. I am spending my time out-guessing the SQA on what may come up, i just can't revise for everything, there is way too much info.
Original post by animelover123
Do you think that will come up? It has been up twice in the last 3 years, my gut instinct tells me that it wont come up..... There is so much to remember. I am spending my time out-guessing the SQA on what may come up, i just can't revise for everything, there is way too much info.

I agree with you :P I personally dont think that will come up because last year was about government in reducing gender/race inequalites :smile: though a question may ask about social and economic inequalites existing in the UK still. so i may just look at it a little.....
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by madmissi
I was looking through the past papers and it seems questions hardly ever come up two years in a row, so it's not likely to be on the Welfare State or Gender/ethnic inequalities. I'm still learning the gender/ethnic stuff though as it can be applied to other questions.
I'm thinking a 'wealth and health should be govt responsibility' type question might come up, and a 'lifestyle/poverty/income on health' one does seem likely.
Has anyone been looking at this site? http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Modern_Studies/Higher/Higher
There are some essays on there that got 15 marks which are good for revision :smile:

The problem with that understanding standards answer is that it looks like it was written pre 2010 so doesn't have anything about newer tory legislation, still a good place to start though.
Reply 198
Original post by Unorthadox1080
The problem with that understanding standards answer is that it looks like it was written pre 2010 so doesn't have anything about newer tory legislation, still a good place to start though.

Oh yeah, of course I would mention the new welfare reforms in there. I think that's the good and bad thing about Modern Studies, the answer always changes :biggrin:
Reply 199
hey guys could really do with some help answering a predicted usa question that my teacher set my class a while ago, could someone please reply with their answer for it or plan with background knowledge to go give me a good guidline for the exam coming up - it would really be appreciated and would also help the person who answers it revise as well haha! Okay the question is, "to what extent have minorities achieved the American dream?"
best of luck to everyone on the 9th ! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending