Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigman1)
    What did people get for question 7?
    Post it, I will try to remember my answer.

ReputationRep:
    Only joined today to talk about this paper, and many more - please be nice to me!

I got the right length for the question where the answer was 4.5, but I left it in the square root (like sqrt(81/4) ... do you reckon i will still get all the marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_King)
    Question 10iii) For the coordinates of A, I set the line equal to the curve, and then equated it to 0, then solved it using the remainder theorem, to obtain a quadratic, solved the quadratic and got X to be -2, subbed X value into the curve and got Y to be -27. So the point = (-2,-27) Would I get 5/5 marks for this method?
    I did the same! Hoping we're right, if the final answer is right then it definitely should be valid dependent of the route taken to reach the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Cheers to joostan for making us this thread even though he didn't take the exam!

I remember all sorts of little answers but not the questions.

10.i.) k=-5
    ii.) minimum (d2y/dx2=12>0)
    iii) (-2,-27)

To people who got 2 coordinates for the last question - unfortunately, it's wrong. One of those coordinates has x=0, right? Put x=0 into the curve, you get y=-5. Put x=0 into y=9x-9 and you get -9. I checked, because the question wrote "coordinate" not "coordinates". And realistically it will only be tangent at one point.

The discriminant question was 9^2-4*3*10=-39. The coordinates on the complete-the-square question were (-3/2,13/4). The two transformations were: f(x+5) (sorry, can't remember the exact question) and stretch by Scale Factor 1/2 parallel to the y-axis.

One of the quadratics was solved to x=-1, 1/2 (after rooting x^3=-1,(1/8) - I hope I didn't stupidly write down something different from what was in my head though!) The "decreasing function" question - set f'(x)<0 and solve the linear inequality. Forgotten the exact question.

If anyone else remembers any of the questions I'd be happy to provide my answers.
    Could have sworn on my paper it said "coordinates". My eyes must be playing tricks on me. -_-

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why but I got k=-9 & I'm not sure where I went wrong. I expanded, differentiated, put x=-3 in and then I ended up with k=-9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Could have sworn on my paper it said "coordinates". My eyes must be playing tricks on me. -_-
    it did say co-ordinates but only one of the pair satisfies the equation..

co-ordinates usually mean 2 points (x and y) if they wanted one value its usually referred to as ordinate.

Did the exam go well for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)

It did say coordinates. However, remember a coordinate is simply one value. (i.e) find out the x coordinate in the equation (4,11), the coordinate is 4. The coordinates however are (4,11).

The answer to question 10 was (-2,-27)

ReputationRep:
    what were the coordinates to the midpoint of that line, wasn't it (1/2, ?) and the gradient was -3 wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyrchds)
    Only joined today to talk about this paper, and many more - please be nice to me!

I got the right length for the question where the answer was 4.5, but I left it in the square root (like sqrt(81/4) ... do you reckon i will still get all the marks?
    Probably lose an accuracy mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    it did say co-ordinates but only one of the pair satisfies the equation..

co-ordinates usually mean 2 points (x and y) if they wanted one value its usually referred to as ordinate.

Did the exam go well for you?
    Yup that's what I though.

Apart from leaving two answers at the end, I think I got the rest right unless I made a silly mistake somewhere.

Hows your mechanical engineering scholarship application going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dugald)
    what were the coordinates to the midpoint of that line, wasn't it (1/2, ?) and the gradient was -3 wasn't it?
    it was (0.5,-1) and yeah it was -3

ReputationRep:
    Damit i got K =5 how many marks will i drop ???

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I accidentally put k=5 for 10i even though I did the right workings (can't add up). I also then used this for part iii with the tangent 9x-9 but It wouldn't factories as I got the wrong quadratic. How many marks will I lose?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JJ)
    Probably lose an accuracy mark
    ah right thank you, had a complete panic in the last minute when checking and had to re-do the question :mad:

ReputationRep:
    what are the rules for A* at A2. say I happen to get a low A in this paper, will I still be able to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think the grade boundaries will be for an A, and rough estimates of how many raw marks needed for full UMS would be appreciated thankss

ReputationRep:
    The first questions on the paper were....
    Name:  WP_001539.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  490.8 KB
    .... I think
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edkin)
    Did anybody else get -1 and 1/2 for one of the quadratics?
    YES

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get (1,0) for the last question? Can't even remember at all how i even got to that, which doesn't look like a good sign D:

y=9x-9, so gradient is 9 rings a bell?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dugald)
    what are the rules for A* at A2. say I happen to get a low A in this paper, will I still be able to get an A*?
    If you get over 90% in all a2 modules, yeah I think you can

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.