Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpyChickensDS)
    That would be nice. I wouldn't mind propaganda, or Nightingale on either A or B.
    I could cope with propaganda. But I would die if Nightingale came up.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    Predictions for Experience of Warfare:

Crimean War: Impact of war reporting - Fenton and Russell (probably not going to be anything to do with the Charge of the Light Brigade, as it's been done in various forms already)

Second Boer War: Concentration Camps and Guerrilla Warfare or Army and Social Reform

Western Front: Harder to gauge because there has been quite an even spread of topics, but I'd say Discipline in the Army (controversy with how strict it was) or BEF in 1918/German defeat (why the British were formidable).

Home Front: DORA or recruitment for the Army
    NOT DORA! I know literally nothing on that. I wouldn't mind the Boer question on that - despite knowing the least in Boer; the concentration camps are my strongest point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LulaBelle)
    Phew, that's good! It seemed that everyone else was doing more modern sections!

I am quite nervous, more so for the 40 marker than 20 marker-aaaaah!!!
    How's your revision gone? I'm planning on doing as many past papers as I can before tomorrow afternoon!
    Haha I know, it does seem that way! In class we've practised the 40 markers so much more than 20 markers that now I'm more worried about the 20! It's all pretty nerve-wracking to be honest.. I worry that I'll interpret the sources wrong for the 20 mark - is there a real right answer ? Sometimes the mark schemes make it seem like there's a right way to do it, which confuses me!

I'll try and do the same! Although tonight I'm just going to read/write some last notes as I am worn out after two exams today - tomorrow morning I'll be frantically writing answers too haha I find the timing quite hard to stick to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student96)
    Haha I know, it does seem that way! In class we've practised the 40 markers so much more than 20 markers that now I'm more worried about the 20! It's all pretty nerve-wracking to be honest.. I worry that I'll interpret the sources wrong for the 20 mark - is there a real right answer ? Sometimes the mark schemes make it seem like there's a right way to do it, which confuses me!

I'll try and do the same! Although tonight I'm just going to read/write some last notes as I am worn out after two exams today - tomorrow morning I'll be frantically writing answers too haha I find the timing quite hard to stick to
    Yep, timing is my biggest worry I think! Wonder if I should do the 40 mark first just in case? :confused:
    I don't think there is a 'right answer', just as long as you justify your arguments with the sources and knowledge and I think that'd be good enough!
    Yeah I have a clash tomorrow, so I'll have a frantic 10 minute supervised break between exams where I'll cram as much as possible! Whether it'll actually be beneficial or not remains a mystery!!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the tudor paper on crown and authority tomorrow? i am so stuck on knowing how and what to revise this close to the exam, especially because its a paper where you have to use sources!

ReputationRep:
    How long should we spend on the 20 mark question????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellalouiseanne)
    Is anyone doing the tudor paper on crown and authority tomorrow? i am so stuck on knowing how and what to revise this close to the exam, especially because its a paper where you have to use sources!
    Yay, another person! Yep I'm doing that paper, I think at this point you should just go over exam technique e.g. cross referencing, evaluating the provenance of a source etc. etc.
    I'm a little worried too!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LulaBelle)
    Yep, timing is my biggest worry I think! Wonder if I should do the 40 mark first just in case? :confused:
    I don't think there is a 'right answer', just as long as you justify your arguments with the sources and knowledge and I think that'd be good enough!
    Yeah I have a clash tomorrow, so I'll have a frantic 10 minute supervised break between exams where I'll cram as much as possible! Whether it'll actually be beneficial or not remains a mystery!!
    Timing is my problem too, what I'm going to do is start by highlighting sources that agree and disagree for both the 20 and 40 mark, this should take around 3 mins. I will do the 40 mark first, as it's my stronger essay, and subconsciously think about my plan for the 20 mark. I usually spend 45 mins on behalf so I will spend around 30 mins on the a question and hopefully have 2 mins to spare (ill probably spend the 2 mins panicking at the start )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay123786)
    Hi, anyone doing History, B2- Poverty, public health and the growth of gov in Britain, 1830-75? I'm having trouble revising for it, mainly remembering the info and putting it in my essays, I always have to use some notes which is not good especially since the exam is this wednesday! Any advice?
    Ah I'm doing this exam too! I did it in january and they asked 2 public health questions for section B whereas I only revised poverty properly

Memorise the significance and weaknesses of each major act for Public Health
    For poverty..go over the old poor law and compare it to the new poor law, what major changes happened, did the new poor law succeed in terms of what it wanted to achieve? Were workhouses entirely bad..or were there positive outcomes of the workhouse?

Here are a few main points:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Main aims of the PLAA:

-Lower tax burden because: 1831: cost was £7mill. This annoyed tax payers and the goverment had to do something because middle class could vote following 1832 great reform act.

-The PLAA followed and was derived from a Bethamite utilitarian philosophy of boosting economic growth: Introduced workhouses to act as a deterrence effect for the able bodied poor. ..the workhouse was actually very good for deserving poor, there was education for pauper children, the hospitals/medicines etc was very good.

-Fear of revolt following 1830 French revolution: this was enforced by Captain Swing Organisation...government had to act.

-Differentiating deserving and undeserving poor according to Thomas Paine.

However:

failed to achieve its objectives in terms of economic growth. This was evident in 1842 Labour Test orders which granted outdoor relief for work. Despite the Outdoor Relief Prohibitory Order banned outdoor relief it was allowed in emergency cases thus undermining its success. This was further humiliated by the Outdoor relief regulation order in 1852.

*John Walter believed the PLAA opposed the Magna Carter and Bill of Rights.*

Always remember:

Whatever line of argument is taken, achievement at the higher levels will be characterised by appropriately balanced use of sources and own knowledge to
    demonstrate a clear understanding of the given view.
    There will be a sharp focus on agreement or disagreement with the statement in the question.
    The best responses may very well consider the interaction of different factors
    to explain the apparent conflict and offer an overall judgement.

Goodluck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay123786)
    Does anyone have tips, revision etc advice for History B? I'm doing 1830-75 Poverty and Public health and really need to know the factors that contribute to change and what also prevented it
    Poverty main points/ideas:

Spoiler:
    Show

Main aims of the PLAA:

-Lower tax burden because: 1831: cost was £7mill. This annoyed tax payers and the goverment had to do something because middle class could vote following 1832 great reform act.

-The PLAA followed and was derived from a Bethamite utilitarian philosophy of boosting economic growth: Introduced workhouses to act as a deterrence effect for the able bodied poor. ..the workhouse was actually very good for deserving poor, there was education for pauper children, the hospitals/medicines etc was very good.

-Fear of revolt following 1830 French revolution: this was enforced by Captain Swing Organisation...government had to act.

-Differentiating deserving and undeserving poor according to Thomas Paine.

However:

It failed to achieve its objectives in terms of economic growth. This was evident in 1842 Labour Test orders which granted outdoor relief for work. Despite the Outdoor Relief Prohibitory Order banned outdoor relief it was allowed in emergency cases thus undermining its success. This was further humiliated by the Outdoor relief regulation order in 1852.

*John Walter believed the PLAA opposed the Magna Carter and Bill of Rights.*

Opposition to the PLAA:

At first there was hardly any opposition; the opposition that was present was unorganised and mainly political opposition from the Tories who were sad about "traditional paternalism".

There was fear and anger but it was not universal...there were rumours and propoganda:

1)Workhouses were far from peoples homes so it gave impression that they were "extermination centres" designed to kill paupers in order to keep taxes low.

2)The 'Book of Murder': this was believed to be the work of commissioners. It suggested that inmates of workhouses were assaulted and children gassed.

3)In Devon, the paupers believed that bread in outdoor relief = poisoned to reduce the amount of people claiming it.

Genuine Opposition:

- Many attacked the centralisation of the PLAA. The commissioners were all London based and so they had no experience/concern for the conditions of anywhere else.
    -Ratepayers realised outdoor relief was cheaper than indoor relief.
    -Northerners were prone to cyclical unemployment...there was no need for workhouses.

General other own knowledge points:

*1815: End of Napoleonic wars
    *1815: Corn Laws
    *1817: Habeas Corpus suspended
    *1830: French Revolution

*1782: Gilbert's Act: Parishes join together to build workhouses for impotent poor (ill,sick,old, disabled etc)
    *1795: Speenhamland system: Relief given to the poor by linking it to the price of bread. The amount of money given to the poor depended upon the size of their family.

*Less Eligibility Principle
    *1832: Reform act: gave middle class right to vote
    *Chartism: Radical movement that began after 1832 because working class weren't given the vote.

Public Health:

Spoiler:
    Show

To improve Public Health in the community there has to be:

- Appropriate technical skill and knowledge of sanitary engineering
    - Medical knowledge about the cause and prevention of disease
    -Willingness of the public, local authorities and parliament to legislate and uphold passed legislation

All of the things mentioned above were not easy for Britain in the 19thC due to the traditional nation of Laissez Faire.

There was lots of pressure for change from both local authorities and scientists/doctors

Key Individuals and different theories:

Early 19th C: 2 main theories: Miasma theory and Germ theory, (there was also contagonist theory)

Miasma seemed like the most popular explanation for the connection between dirt and diease. The Industrialisation created filthy smells in large towns and it was in those towns that disease was most prevalent.

Edwin Chadwick: He hindered Bazalgette's idea of creating sewers until 1860's during the Great Stink. He wanted to use canal barges to spray human waste onto fields but this in effect was very inefficient. He wrote a report in 1842 criticising the vested interest of water companies/medical profession and local administration. This led to the creation of the Royal Commission of Inquiry in 1844.

John Snow: 1853- Proved that cholera was waterborne however this was much rejected and was later reinforced by John Simon in 1870.

The 3 main issues hindering public health provision before 1948:

1. Opposition of vested interest for example water companies.
    2. Lack of compulsory legislation
    3. Ignorance of the ways in which disease was spread.

1848: Public Health Act: Showed that the government was prepared to do something and wanted to intervene. There were 284 petitions for this Act to be passed. However, it was permissive- only applied if a certain number of people in a town/city wanted it/certain conditions had to be reached for the Act to apply.

1846: Liverpool Sanitary Act
    Removal of Nuisances act
    Baths/Washhouses act

1858: Local Government Act: Got rid of Board of Health e.g. Chadwick and find an acceptable way of centralising/controlling public health provision.

1866: John Simon was behind this act. Local authorities could be charged if they didn't remove nuisances properly and government could do the work of improvement. This act was not about advising but rather it was forcing and making people compel, as a result people thought their freedom was compromised.

1875: Public Health Act- this was passed to reinforce all previous acts and make them compulsory.

Main overall obstacles:

-Cost..rich people didn't want to pay for poor people's cleanliness/health
    -Encroaching of civil liberties- Perversion of Laissez Faire
    -People like Chadwick
    -Vested Interest

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing reform and representation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't understand the people saying you need own knowledge in part a, you are meant to include none as all 20 marks are assigned to ao2 which is the sources, and through thorough cross referencing and evaluation you can get top marks with no own knowledge.

Additionally, of course you evaluate the one contemporary source for weight in section b, that is why consistently every paper there is one contemporary source which has a lengthy description and is biased to be critically analysed, and the other 2 sources are always plain so no evaluation. Of course you shouldn't spend ages on it but you should always refer to the provenance of the contemporary source in the second question to more effectively drive your argument and gain top marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawlser)
    Heath has only been asked ONCE in the entire series, so I think he'll make an appearance,

especially because in January they repeated Wilson who had only been asked once before, so I think they'll do the same for Heath,

Finger crossed, his period is LOVELY.
    I really want Heath too, that's all I've been revising on, plus parts of Thatchers Fall and the Falklands war, and Churchills second government, but there's not a lot they can ask you about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick post to say Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River227)
    I really want Heath too, that's all I've been revising on, plus parts of Thatchers Fall and the Falklands war, and Churchills second government, but there's not a lot they can ask you about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ditto! The fall of Thatcher would be a brilliant question! so much to talk about

I think they'll do Thatcher/Attlee, and then Heath.

Do you have any electronic notes for the Falklands war you could send me because mine are very general :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywils)
    Thanks! Really hoping that a suffrage question comes up and I wouldn't mind education either!
    Wouldn't like one on the war or trade unions though
    The last two papers have actually been really good.

But the rest just make me cringe, especially the impact that technology had on work opportunities. Just hope Edexcel continue the nice streak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplysparky)
    The last two papers have actually been really good.

But the rest just make me cringe, especially the impact that technology had on work opportunities. Just hope Edexcel continue the nice streak
    Really hoping so! I just would hate any question on trade unions or technology because there isn't much knowledge either way a question on eduction would be fab!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywils)
    Really hoping so! I just would hate any question on trade unions or technology because there isn't much knowledge either way a question on eduction would be fab!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really like Work or Education...

For Education you have points on the Acts, Dorothea Beale/Frances Mary Buss, Girls Public Day School Trust, but what else is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplysparky)
    I don't really like Work or Education...

For Education you have points on the Acts, Dorothea Beale/Frances Mary Buss, Girls Public Day School Trust, but what else is there?
    I suppose that's it really! I just personally think that would be a lot easier than stating the significance and impact of trade unions when in fact I think they did sweet fa despite what the book says! And technology is just boring haha. Which we could have had Januarys paper tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.