The Student Room Group

Higher Biology Exam?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Proud_Student
Yeah our teacher was horrible...only 4 ppl got B in our Prelims...everyone else fail! (I failed by 1 mark D: )

But for our second prelim i got B so i hope I get a B in final exam

I wanna study science in University so I'm hoping for the best :/

In general only my maths,english and History teachers were good..my Chemistry teacher was ok but she was kinda confusing and our Biology teacher was so bad. He used to lecture us for 20 mins at the start about how we would fail, and then waste even more time going over last nights homework since he did not want to mark it!

its a wonder we finished the course.

My biology prelim suited me a lot more than the final exam :frown: If only it was the opposite way about :frown:

Woo me too I want to study science, although all the people on here who want to study science either want to do medicine or veterinary medicine or something :lol:

I think I had quite good teachers this year meh, although the chemistry teachers in my school don't do any supported study because they don't get paid enough... :frown:
That exam just sucked bad. not been able to get it out my head for the last few days!

needed an A for uni and biology felt in the bag, loads of hard work for months and it was tested in about 3 questions in the entire section B, gah!

also for question 5 of the multi choice, what did we all put? i struggled between A and D, i knew glucose to pyruvic acid made 2 atp but wasn't sure if D was reffering to the entire krebs cycle + cytochrome system movements, in the end when i seen water i assumed it ment the entire cycle untill water which would include the cytochrome system and opted for D.
Original post by JackoGeddes
That exam just sucked bad. not been able to get it out my head for the last few days!

needed an A for uni and biology felt in the bag, loads of hard work for months and it was tested in about 3 questions in the entire section B, gah!

also for question 5 of the multi choice, what did we all put? i struggled between A and D, i knew glucose to pyruvic acid made 2 atp but wasn't sure if D was reffering to the entire krebs cycle + cytochrome system movements, in the end when i seen water i assumed it ment the entire cycle untill water which would include the cytochrome system and opted for D.

I had the exact same problem as you, I ended up going for D thinking it included the Krebs cycle and cytochrome system too! Fingers crossed we were right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Original post by JackoGeddes

Yes it was D as pyruvic acid > CO2+water creates 36 ATP :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
My biology prelim suited me a lot more than the final exam :frown: If only it was the opposite way about :frown:

Woo me too I want to study science, although all the people on here who want to study science either want to do medicine or veterinary medicine or something :lol:

I think I had quite good teachers this year meh, although the chemistry teachers in my school don't do any supported study because they don't get paid enough... :frown:

Our entire Biology department sucks...only 1 teacher can actually teach..the rest are just so...ughh..tehy dont get along well with us and they dont teach much xD

but in my defense the Biology prelim we did was extremely harsh...it marks of for stupid things..and asked for in-depth knowledge on Questions that were easily classed as KQ imo...

I just hope we all do well mate

Hey epic...I'm glad I found someone else with the same interest as me :biggrin:
I was gonna do Law, but seeing how many applicants apply to it and I find it ever so dull (we had a reach scotland lecture on it and I dozed through it lmao) . I love Science, the fact I get paid to discover and research new things..in a way im doing what I always dreamed off..which is expanding my knowledge (i know it sounds nerdy but i dont care)
Reply 185
Our entire Biology department sucks...only 1 teacher can actually teach..the rest are just so...ughh..tehy dont get along well with us and they dont teach much xD

but in my defense the Biology prelim we did was extremely harsh...it marks of for stupid things..and asked for in-depth knowledge on Questions that were easily classed as KQ imo...

I just hope we all do well mate

Hey epic...I'm glad I found someone else with the same interest as me :biggrin:
I was gonna do Law, but seeing how many applicants apply to it and I find it ever so dull (we had a reach scotland lecture on it and I dozed through it lmao) . I love Science, the fact I get paid to discover and research new things..in a way im doing what I always dreamed off..which is expanding my knowledge (i know it sounds nerdy but i dont care)

We only have one biology teacher who can teach as well. Well we only have two teachers in our biology department :lol:

Yeah some prelims are extremely hard to make it more likely to get an appeal, my teacher just uses old past paper questions so hopefully if I don't do as well as I hope I will get an appeal :smile:

I know woo!!! God I don't think I could cope with law, I think it would bore me too. Although I do think it would be interesting to be on jury duty, hoping I get picked for it. I taking it you want to go into research? If so, I do too I think :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
We only have one biology teacher who can teach as well. Well we only have two teachers in our biology department :lol:

Yeah some prelims are extremely hard to make it more likely to get an appeal, my teacher just uses old past paper questions so hopefully if I don't do as well as I hope I will get an appeal :smile:

I know woo!!! God I don't think I could cope with law, I think it would bore me too. Although I do think it would be interesting to be on jury duty, hoping I get picked for it. I taking it you want to go into research? If so, I do too I think :smile:

:beer: Tell me about it..I think Research sounds great for me..although im sure they wont go down well with my parents :P

and if you dont mind me asking what school do you go to? o:

and Well the chances of getting an appeal would be low, I heard they are only done under the context the person is not present in the exam hall at the time.

Only ever heard of 1 appeal being successful :s
Reply 187
It is ridiculous how subjects like English and History have really high appeal rates but things like science don't. Teachers usually tell students what the questions are in essay based subjects before hand! My history teacher certainly did.
Original post by xoJennyox
It is ridiculous how subjects like English and History have really high appeal rates but things like science don't. Teachers usually tell students what the questions are in essay based subjects before hand! My history teacher certainly did.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Sciences are the worst place to get appeals from and consider how difficult they are I think it needs to be change, although I heard the new course coming is completely dumbing it down :frown:..although I disagree about the Questions thing as our Teacher did not give us any predictions :biggrin:

All she said was Hitler might not turn up since the SQA have been threatening to make it not show one year..it turned up...we were all delighted..but you know the point
Reply 189
:beer: Tell me about it..I think Research sounds great for me..although im sure they wont go down well with my parents :P

and if you dont mind me asking what school do you go to? o:

and Well the chances of getting an appeal would be low, I heard they are only done under the context the person is not present in the exam hall at the time.

Only ever heard of 1 appeal being successful :s

It sounds great for me too! But why wouldn't it go down well with your parents?

Eh Barrhead high lol it's a dump :lol: you??

Yeah init Science appeals are so rare it is so hard. Considering, according to SQA statistics, the 4 sciences are the hardest subjects!!
Original post by CSM1996
It sounds great for me too! But why wouldn't it go down well with your parents?

Eh Barrhead high lol it's a dump :lol: you??

Yeah init Science appeals are so rare it is so hard. Considering, according to SQA statistics, the 4 sciences are the hardest subjects!!

Asian Parents want me to do something like Lawyer or Doctor..Problem is Law bores me and I dont think I can be trusted with lives of people..oh and Blood freaks me out

I'm at Hillhead High School atm...

its ok got some nice teachers but also some strange ones that dont teach at all :biggrin:

and yeah I hate that about the SQA..sometimes I wonder if they really know the conditions we're in before setting the exam
Reply 191
For the bird question, did anyone get 0.375 for the calculation? And what did everyone put for the reasons the birds put on weight? I didn't know whether it was more food or if they were pregnant
Reply 192
Asian Parents want me to do something like Lawyer or Doctor..Problem is Law bores me and I dont think I can be trusted with lives of people..oh and Blood freaks me out

its ok got some nice teachers but also some strange ones that dont teach at all :biggrin:

and yeah I hate that about the SQA..sometimes I wonder if they really know the conditions we're in before setting the exam

What kind of asian are you????????????? I wish I was like Chinese or Filipino but naw I'm white and Scottish :/ Blood freaks you out haha :]

And oh never heard of it. "Atm.." do you plan on moving or something?

Aye same with all schools though. Tell me about it, I fainted in one of my prelims (I was ill) imagine if it was one of my exams, they probably still wouldn't of gave me an appeal haha :lol:
Original post by CSM1996
What kind of asian are you????????????? I wish I was like Chinese or Filipino but naw I'm white and Scottish :/ Blood freaks you out haha :]

And oh never heard of it. "Atm.." do you plan on moving or something?

Aye same with all schools though. Tell me about it, I fainted in one of my prelims (I was ill) imagine if it was one of my exams, they probably still wouldn't of gave me an appeal haha :lol:

I'm Indian. I was born in India but I moved here when I was 3 so I was brought up Scottish :smile:

I am planning on moving, I'm hoping to get a place in a university abroad, honestly (no offense to any Scottish patriots here) I find Scotland dull and I want to move asap xD

hahaha..you fainted, the most I do is panic and get confused, I did my History paper in Red ink despite it being told not to (my marker will love me for that) and I forgot my SQA number, my seat number, a calculater for my Biology one :lmao

Just stressing about English atm xD....and then Maths D:
Reply 194

LOLOLOL my parents are Asian and they want me to do Law XD. I don't mind, I really want to study Law at uni. So is it a doctor for you then?
Reply 195
I agree with this wholeheartedly, Sciences are the worst place to get appeals from and consider how difficult they are I think it needs to be change, although I heard the new course coming is completely dumbing it down :frown:..although I disagree about the Questions thing as our Teacher did not give us any predictions :biggrin:

All she said was Hitler might not turn up since the SQA have been threatening to make it not show one year..it turned up...we were all delighted..but you know the point

I know but our history teacher told the class our prelim questions XD. He dropped major hints about which topics to study. I bet most schools do this.

However you don't get this for science prelims!
LOLOLOL my parents are Asian and they want me to do Law XD. I don't mind, I really want to study Law at uni. So is it a doctor for you then?

I dont think I can take listening to people constantly complain about ailments..im a very unsympathetic person at times :biggrin:

I don't like anyone controlling my life, Science fascinated me so I'm planning on following a career in that :biggrin:
I know but our history teacher told the class our prelim questions XD. He dropped major hints about which topics to study. I bet most schools do this.

However you don't get this for science prelims!

hahaha..Our teachers dont drop any hints, we dont mind though, it helps us prepare better in general and I agree..well...

they can drop the essay questions in biology if they have seen it beforehand, but other than that, nothing :frown:
Reply 198
I dont think I can take listening to people constantly complain about ailments..im a very unsympathetic person at times :biggrin:

I don't like anyone controlling my life, Science fascinated me so I'm planning on following a career in that :biggrin:

It is kind of hard to avoid your parents controlling your life if you are brought up in a strict household with pushy parents. I'm not complaining or anything tehehe but sometimes I wish my mum and dad would just chill a little. They wake me up in my sleep to tell me the importance of studying and getting into uni. Seriously. I can't complain to be honest, I wouldn't want my mum and dad not to care about my education :biggrin:.

It is great that you are pursuing what you are passionate about and being a scientist is a very respectable occupation. My younger brother wants to do something in science (even though he is like 12). He is very interested in chemistry and is teaching himself with an intermediate 2 textbook. He is so cute ^_^. However my parents want him to be a doctor haha!
Reply 199
Original post by Euan23
For the bird question, did anyone get 0.375 for the calculation? And what did everyone put for the reasons the birds put on weight? I didn't know whether it was more food or if they were pregnant

yes I got 0.375 for one of the answers but I can't remember what the question was. And I put that more food is available is Summer. I hope that is correct!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending