Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Perfect Circle)
    In bold, I don't see that at all but I respect your interpretation, not to mention your wondrous imagination.

I prefer describing people too in all honesty - I've just been playing Devil's advocate to see whether I missed a legitimate reason as to why the whole /10 concept is offensive and I'm glad to see that I didn't.
    To me it just seems like a market "This one's an 8!" "next up we have a beautiful 7!" that's ust what image it puts in my mind

Yeah I don't think it has to be offensive, I think as long as people are respectful and accept it's subjective it's fine. However the OP, reducing women to a number "this ****ing 3 came up to me" etc is offensive in so many ways ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    To me it just seems like a market "This one's an 8!" "next up we have a beautiful 7!" that's ust what image it puts in my mind

Yeah I don't think it has to be offensive, I think as long as people are respectful and accept it's subjective it's fine. However the OP, reducing women to a number "this ****ing 3 came up to me" etc is offensive in so many ways ..
    Fair enough if that's what comes up when you think about it. I can't say I've ever thought of it that way.

To be honest, it's only offensive in the exact same way that verbalising low attractiveness is.

Would you feel less offended if someone called you a "revolting hideous gremlin" or a "2/10"? I'd argue that they're as offensive as each other.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough if that's what comes up when you think about it. I can't say I've ever thought of it that way.

To be honest, it's only offensive in the exact same way that verbalising low attractiveness is.

Would you feel less offended if someone called you a "revolting hideous gremlin" or a "2/10"? I'd argue that they're as offensive as each other.
    Honestly I'd rather be called a revolting hideous gremlin. At least it's creative :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's a problem that you think they're somehow influential to women's self-esteem. Thinking you have any influence on a way a women sees herself is problematic, because it makes you think YOU are responsible for how she perceives herself, not her alone. You're not.We don't need you "flattering" us. Our confidence doesn't depend on your validation of our self-worth.

Reducing us to arbitrary numbers to "rate our attractiveness" is dehumanising and extremely sexist. That itself is serious.

ReputationRep:
    this thread :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Honestly I'd rather be called a revolting hideous gremlin. At least it's creative :lol:
    Ha, true! Took me a few seconds longer to come up with that than it did to say 2/10.

(Original post by Riotx)
    It's a problem that you think they're somehow influential to women's self-esteem. Thinking you have any influence on a way a women sees herself is problematic, because it makes you think YOU are responsible for how she perceives herself, not her alone. You're not.We don't need you "flattering" us. Our confidence doesn't depend on your validation of our self-worth.

Reducing us to arbitrary numbers to "rate our attractiveness" is dehumanising and extremely sexist. That itself is serious.
    Oh boy. When are people going to stop pretending that they don't care about how attractive they are to members of the opposite sex? Reaction, or lack of reaction as the case may be, does play a part in how people perceive themselves. It may not be a massive part but it definitely matters.

Guess what? I like it when the cute waitress flirts with me. I even like it when the gay guy tries to hit on me, even though his attempts are in vain. These are the sorts of things that validate our self worth.

Dehumanising? How?

Sexist? As far as I can tell, no one is saying women can't use an /10 system. If they choose not to, that's not our problem. It's akin to men complaining about how women who talk about penis size are sexist. People throw around words like "sexist" and "racist" without even thinking about it and it's horrible because these are serious accusations.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Oh boy. When are people going to stop pretending that they don't care about how attractive they are to members of the opposite sex? Reaction, or lack of reaction as the case may be, does play a part in how people perceive themselves. It may not be a massive part but it definitely matters.
    Has it not occurred to you that some people simply don't care?

ReputationRep:
    Ha, true! Took me a few seconds longer to come up with that than it did to say 2/10.
    Exactly If you're going to insult me, at least make it interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Has it not occurred to you that some people simply don't care?
    There are probably some people out there to whom compliments or otherwise regarding their attraction don't matter, but I'd argue that they're very much in the minority.

Also as an aside, do you ever post anything interesting? Every time I see one of your posts it's along the lines of "I'm not sure that's true". Though I suppose you don't get to 17000ish posts by contributing in a meaningful and interesting way...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    There are probably some people out there to whom compliments or otherwise regarding their attraction don't matter, but I'd argue that they're very much in the minority.

Also as an aside, do you ever post anything interesting? Every time I see one of your posts it's along the lines of "I'm not sure that's true". Though I suppose you don't get to 17000ish posts by contributing in a meaningful and interesting way...
    Admittedly yes, it's probably a minority.

I don't see how say 'I'm not sure something is true' means it isn't a meaningful contribution, given that it is usually followed by some other statement. Regardless, I'm not going to say something definitely is or isn't true, unless I can back up that claim.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the insufferable, sycophantic fawning you see over girls on Facebook tends to actually just be from other girls in my experience. "Oh hunni, you look so seximalicious is this photo I just wanna squeeze you till you pop!" "OMG I'm so jealous of ur eyes" "U so pretty gurrrrl" etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with rating people as a number? It's not as if anyone can be truly serious about it seeing as you can't measure hotness with precision. A lot of it boils down to 'I would' or 'I would with that one more'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Most of the insufferable, sycophantic fawning you see over girls on Facebook tends to actually just be from other girls in my experience. "Oh hunni, you look so seximalicious is this photo I just wanna squeeze you till you pop!" "OMG I'm so jealous of ur eyes" "U so pretty gurrrrl" etc etc.
    I wish I could pos rep this a thousand times. Seximalicious, brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for the /10 system. In fact, as my avatar would agree, we should just all line up according to ranking, pair up with each other and save ourselves years of heartache and bull****.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I'm all for the /10 system. In fact, as my avatar would agree, we should just all line up according to ranking, pair up with each other and save ourselves years of heartache and bull****.
    No because some of us can beat the system and I don't want to be straddled with someone who's only a 6.5.

ReputationRep:
    .../10 is not offensive, and is merely there for clarity.

/discussion.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Not really for society, but they are terrible human beings who pretty much follow a strategy of telling the girl they want to have sex with, the guy they are currently having sex with, is pure evil and that they would never upset her in the way he once did at that point in time.

ReputationRep:
    So whats the difference between alpha and beta?? Confused by this stupid concept that TSR seems to have come up with lol.

ReputationRep:
    Pffffft...! Is this really your best attempt at social criticism? I'll let you off because you sound very young.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.