Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonfire_heart)
    BA Public Relations and you? I'm a little worried about moving day because the entrance of Cranborne Hall seemed rather narrow haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Bonfire_heart, How are you.? Where are you from..?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MeganRonnie;44789303] Anyone who has already been there what is the nightlife and shopping like in the area? & and without sounding stereotypical what sorts of people generally apply for bournemouth?/QUOTE]

I lived in Bournemouth most my life.
    Shopping
    Shopping is okay but is inferior to the shopping in larger cities. My friends used to go up to southampton for shopping, their shopping centres are bigger and better. The biggest shopping centre in bournemouth is castle point, which nearly got taken down because the car park was falling apart or something.

Nightlife
    Bournemouth doesn't have student nights every single day of the week like Leeds or Manchester, but there is usually something happening on the weekend. If you really want, you could find something to do during the middle of the week. I think Bar Me is open on thursdays, which is cheaper than going on the weekend. I've seen guys come down from salisbury to spend a thursday night in bournemouth, so it isn't dead during mid week.

I think the most lively area at night is old christchurch road. I remember walking on that street and literally seeing 3 fights break out. They probably got kicked out the clubs and were roaming the streets. Inside the clubs you won't get people acting like that.

People that go to bournemouth

I guess they like beaches and non-british architecture. Like Brighton the city architecture is more colourful than most cities in England, you'll notice it if you drive down priory road and overlook bournemouth from the top of the hill. It's still quite British though, it's not like Rio or Long beach California. I think the university appeals mostly to art and humanities students, isn't that what the uni specializes in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganRonnie)
    hiya!

I'm applying to Bournemouth uni for social work! And i was just wondering who else is applying... and for what course?

Anyone who has already been there what is the nightlife and shopping like in the area? & and without sounding stereotypical what sorts of people generally apply for bournemouth?

I'm so excited but also a little nervous!

- Megan
    I don't go there yet, but from what I know, the nightlife is quite good! Apparently lots of little bar type places rather than big clubs which is what I prefer anyway.

When I went to the open day, one of the first things I noticed about the uni was how... white it seemed compared to all of the other universities I had applied too. It had a real laid back atmosphere too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonfire_heart)
    BA Public Relations and you? I'm a little worried about moving day because the entrance of Cranborne Hall seemed rather narrow haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sports psychology!

lol I haven't seen it- looks like i'll have to pack as light as poss :L :/

where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlSub)
    Good And where are you from..?
    I'm from Devon, a county south of Bornemouth (about 2 hours drive)

What made you want to come to England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCFCfan4eva)
    I'm from Devon, a county south of Bornemouth (about 2 hours drive)

What made you want to come to England?
    London Being one of the important place for Visual effects production for most of the movies around world.. After some research i found only 8-10 'A' listed schools around world who teach VFX and has updated equipments and BU is one of it. Considering exposure to direct industry and opportunities, past students recommendation and by seeing their work showreel i am very impressed and felt BU will suit me best Their course curriculum also good.. USA is good and best in world but they don't recognise my 3yr UG program they need a 4yr program and also very expensive..

ReputationRep:
    Anybody planning on living in the student village?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Bournemouth all my life and I'd say there is quite a lot of nightlife during the week tbh

Monday Lost Garden and Halo are open, Tuesday is Milk in the old fire station, Poundabout in Walkabout and Toast in Bar me, Wednesday is Fuzzy Logic in Cameo, Thursday I think Lola Lo do something and Bonsai too, maybe even Halo again as well! I've probably missed loads as there always seems to be something on in town!

ReputationRep:
    Still no news from bournemouth no idea what to expect .... I mean not even a yes or no for interview and its march 22nd ahh x

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting in September to do Mental health nursing... really looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an offer for sociology and social policy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bridgetcooke1994)
    Anybody planning on living in the student village?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was thinking about going there! I'm applying for Media Production and the student village is recommended, however, I think I prefer the look of some of the halls around the Lansdown campus...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_McEvoy)
    I was thinking about going there! I'm applying for Media Production and the student village is recommended, however, I think I prefer the look of some of the halls around the Lansdown campus...
    I've applied for media production too! I was recommended at the open day to dtay in the student village so I could take full advantage of the 24/7 facilities. They also said its better for experiencing uni life. But the media school was awesome and the teachers were really cool too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for media production too! I was recommended at the open day to dtay in the student village so I could take full advantage of the 24/7 facilities. They also said its better for experiencing uni life. But the media school was awesome and the teachers were really cool too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that's what I heard too.. Still hard to decide though xD Hopefully see you on the course in September then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_McEvoy)
    Yeah, that's what I heard too.. Still hard to decide though xD Hopefully see you on the course in September then!
    Yeah im still stuck between student village and cranbourne house most likely village dont want to pay for the bus pass :') I hope so too

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im still stuck between student village and cranbourne house most likely village dont want to pay for the bus pass :') I hope so too
    The bus pass is free I believe...

ReputationRep:
    Got a conditional for paramedic science! Anyone else on the same boat?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Sydenham)
    The bus pass is free I believe...
    I enquired at the open day and the pass is £240 for the year, its a decent enough price but I plan on spending most of my time using the facilities so it would make more sense in the student village

ReputationRep:
    I enquired at the open day and the pass is £240 for the year, its a decent enough price but I plan on spending most of my time using the facilities so it would make more sense in the student village
    On the open day I went to they said bus pass is included with your accommodation if you're staying in halls in Landsdown to use the uni buses and a few others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c94)
    On the open day I went to they said bus pass is included with your accommodation if you're staying in halls in Landsdown to use the uni buses and a few others?
    Ohh reallyyy? I must of misheard them then. That so much better

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 28 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.