baconbutty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Because the award isn't just the last 2 months : lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So? He was still clearly not on messi or Ronaldo's level last year so why would he win it
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by baconbutty)
So? He was still clearly not on messi or Ronaldo's level last year so why would he win it
How was he not please explain? Do goals make the person suddenly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
baconbutty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How was he not please explain? Do goals make the person suddenly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes they do lmfao honestly don't know if that was a troll point
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes they do lmfao honestly don't know if that was a troll point
Well looks like the best player in the world will always be a forward then. :rolleyes:

Think about what you just said lol. Insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
baconbutty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It should go to a forward scoring goals is the hardest part of the game....Ribery was clearly not on messi or Ronaldo's level haven't even seen a bayern fan try and argue he was actually seen the opposite most suggesting he wasn't even bayerns best player last season but you are obviously going to be bias against Ronaldo so your opinion isn't really worth much on it
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It should go to a forward scoring goals is the hardest part of the game....Ribery was clearly not on messi or Ronaldo's level haven't even seen a bayern fan try and argue he was actually seen the opposite most suggesting he wasn't even bayerns best player last season but you are obviously going to be bias against Ronaldo so your opinion isn't really worth much on it
So much ignorance it's laughable no point trying to argue with you. Why would I be biased. Ronaldo should finish ahead of Messi. But he shouldn't ahead of Ribery. It's easier to score goals then keep them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's easier to judge a forward on goals because you can tell a lot with them, and also highlights. But it's not the whole story.

I mentioned it before but I reckon people who think Ribery should win it might be going into this taking Ronaldo and Messi for granted because of how far ahead they've been. A third player comes along, does well and it's a change. His team does a clean sweep, so naturally you'd want to vote for them. I can't see how it's justified to give Ribery an individual award over the other two though (someone will mention the trophies which is why I've specified individuality in my post).

I haven't watched every minute of every game but what I have seen is Ribery not doing much in the games I've watched, whereas if you tune in to a Madrid/Barca game you're almost guaranteed to see Messi/Ronaldo running rings around their opponents and scoring a brace. Ronaldo deserves it for 2013 for the way he single handedly dragged Portugal to the WC. He was ahead of Messi anyway for me but then he just exploded after Blatter's comments.

I can see why people would vote for Ribery but the arguments aren't enough to convince me otherwise & I think it was more of a team effort with him, whereas it was pure individuality for the other two and given it's an individual award, it should be one of them.
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, Ribery again should not be in this conversation.

Why is he in this conversation, it's best individual award, trophies won has nothing to do with it.

He wasn't even great from quarter finals onwards in the CL, Robben was better in the CL so if we wanted to talk about the big time then Robben should be in the convo, because people use the big games to determine who should win it too.

Bayern was a clear team effort, and a few other players there could have been nominated for the award tbh, they just chose Ribery.

Ronaldo should win it. If Messi won it in 11 over Sneijder who won the treble, then Ronaldo should win it over Ribery, it's as simple as that.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the 2012-13 season, Ribery had a combined 28 goals and assists in all competitions for bayern, GTFO of here. Ronaldo gets the award clearly. He got more goals in the same position in la liga than Ribery contributed in goals and assists for all competitions in bayern. Why again is he in the convo. Award goes to Ronaldo.

Ribery is a good player, but those two are untouchable for the meanwhile. I'd even argue that Messi should be ahead of him for the award tbh.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
See thats where I disagree. Goals are not everything. Ribery was as good as them two dribbling around players. In fact he was more electric with the ball then Ronaldo or Messi. And don't forget who shone in the big matches. Ribery provided the key pass for the first goal then directly assisted the winning goal. He may not have the stats but he was just as important.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
See thats where I disagree. Goals are not everything. Ribery was as good as them two dribbling around players. In fact he was more electric with the ball then Ronaldo or Messi. And don't forget who shone in the big matches. Ribery provided the key pass for the first goal then directly assisted the winning goal. He may not have the stats but he was just as important.
Ribery was as good as them in doing that. Maybe so, but then lets extrapolate what you're saying. Why didn't Xavi, Sneijder or iniesta win the award in 2010? Two of them won the world cup, the other won the treble and were the difference makers in their sides. Yet Messi got the award ahead of them.

Ribery was the best player in a very balanced team, Ronaldo is the difference maker for a good Madrid side, same goes for Messi.

I just don't see what Ribery going for him that Sneijder in 2010 didn't, especially considering the form of Lahm last year and Robben after Kroos' injury. If we were to say goals were not everything, then why did Messi get the award last year, despite only winning the Copa Del Rey? Because the amount of goals he scored were so much compared to the rest of the competition that there was no other winner. While I admit Messi would have had the same amount as Ronaldo this year when fit, he was not fit, so cannot win the award, nobody compared to Ronaldo goal wise this season.

If Ribery's assist numbers were as sheer as the amount Ronaldo or Messi scores, an argument can be made, otherwise, award goes to Ronaldo.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
Ribery was as good as them in doing that. Maybe so, but then lets extrapolate what you're saying. Why didn't Xavi, Sneijder or iniesta win the award in 2010? Two of them won the world cup, the other won the treble and were the difference makers in their sides. Yet Messi got the award ahead of them.

Ribery was the best player in a very balanced team, Ronaldo is the difference maker for a good Madrid side, same goes for Messi.

I just don't see what Ribery going for him that Sneijder in 2010 didn't, especially considering the form of Lahm last year and Robben after Kroos' injury. If we were to say goals were not everything, then why did Messi get the award last year, despite only winning the Copa Del Rey? Because the amount of goals he scored were so much compared to the rest of the competition that there was no other winner. While I admit Messi would have had the same amount as Ronaldo this year when fit, he was not fit, so cannot win the award, nobody compared to Ronaldo goal wise this season.

If Ribery's assist numbers were as sheer as the amount Ronaldo or Messi scores, an argument can be made, otherwise, award goes to Ronaldo.

Messi shouldn't even be sniffing near third. He's missed over a third of this year thats how absurd it is. Bayern lost 3 games last season. 2 of them guess who didn't play? Frank Ribery. Ribery was an absolute monster. Attacking wise and defensively.

Messi won that year because no one really stood out and distinguished themselves with regards to trophies and that.
TheLittlestElf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh good old individual awards which only take into account goals :lol:

Yet I seem to remember players like Zidane and Kaka not exactly being stat stuffers...
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lahm instead of Messi as well. In fact could probably name 5 players that should have made the list ahead of Messi.
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Messi shouldn't even be sniffing near third. He's missed over a third of this year thats how absurd it is.
That sounds graver than it was.

Games played in 2013:
Messi: 45
Ribery: 51
CR: 55

I agree that Messi shouldn't be the favourite, but his injury streak wasn't as bad as some of the media make it sound.

(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
...as sheer, or at least significantly higher than those of the other two, but they aren't.

Assists in 2013:
Ribery 20 (in 51 games)
Messi 17 (in 45 games)
CR 15 (in 55 games)

Messi is 3 assists behind him in 6 games less. Had he played the same amount of games, he would probably have equalled Ribery's numbers and had 27 goals more to add to that. The assists argument is flawed anyway and only cropped up because Ribery (unjustifiedly) bragged about them. Now it is used by exactly those people who rant about "stats obsession" when CR and Messi are named favourites for individual awards. If we want to look at assists numbers, as Ribery suggested, we would have to name Ozil one of the finalists with his 30 assists in 2013...

Ribery being so far ahead of every other Bayern player is distorting reality anyway. Two days after the treble was won, nobody could name one specific player that was pivotal to the treble, or rather, no consensus could be reached. But Hoeness etc. did a good job to make Ribery the face of the season to increase the chances to have a BDO winner in their ranks. As it looks that CR has won the award, that campaign seems to have failed

Still, though, it's amazing that this award is still being talked about/taken seriously. It's overrated anyway, but that voting deadline extension destroyed any credibility that was still left.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qua)
That sounds graver than it was.

Games played in 2013:
Messi: 45
Ribery: 51
CR: 55

I agree that Messi shouldn't be the favourite, but his injury streak wasn't as bad as some of the media make it sound.

...as sheer, or at least significantly higher than those of the other two, but they aren't.

Assists in 2013:
Ribery 20 (in 51 games)
Messi 17 (in 45 games)
CR 15 (in 55 games)

Messi is 3 assists behind him in 6 games less. Had he played the same amount of games, he would probably have equalled Ribery's numbers and had 27 goals more to add to that. The assists argument is flawed anyway and only cropped up because Ribery (unjustifiedly) bragged about them. Now it is used by exactly those people who rant about "stats obsession" when CR and Messi are named favourites for individual awards. If we want to look at assists numbers, as Ribery suggested, we would have to name Ozil one of the finalists with his 30 assists in 2013...

Ribery being so far ahead of every other Bayern player is distorting reality anyway. Two days after the treble was won, nobody could name one specific player that was pivotal to the treble, or rather, no consensus could be reached. But Hoeness etc. did a good job to make Ribery the face of the season to increase the chances to have a BDO winner in their ranks. As it looks that CR has won the award, that campaign seems to have failed

Still, though, it's amazing that this award is still being talked about/taken seriously. It's overrated anyway, but that voting deadline extension destroyed any credibility that was still left.
Fully agree with this. Ribery was awesome last year but so was Bayern as a team. If Ribery is nominated for the Balon D'or then Lahm and co should have been nominated since they won the same amount of trophies. Moreover, in my eyes Ribery's performance levels dropped after the quarter finals in the champions league and Robben took over as the main man. Messi if given the same amount of games as Ribery would have overtaken him in regards with assists.

I stand by my opinion that Ronaldo has to win Balon D'or since he's been the stand out player in 2013 although he has no trophies to his name which could be his downfall. Nevertheless i expect Ronaldo to walk away with his 2nd Balon D'or.
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quite sure Ronaldo will grab it, FIFA/the media have done enough to ensure he will. By which I don't mean he wouldn't deserve it. To me, nobody really stood out this year, including Ronaldo - as I said, he has only one goal more than last year (which is 23 goals less than Messi last year) and won two trophies less - but from all the players in question CR had the best and most consistent year, so it would be deserved. Had Messi been fit the whole year I'm quite sure things would look different though.

Agree about Lahm, would have loved to see him winning. Consistent and solid as it gets and has been so for years.
baconbutty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So much ignorance it's laughable no point trying to argue with you. Why would I be biased. Ronaldo should finish ahead of Messi. But he shouldn't ahead of Ribery. It's easier to score goals then keep them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea I can tell you watch absolutely no bayern Munich matches messi and Ronaldo should finish ahead of Ribery easily they were far more influential to their teams performance but gj to Ribery for being the catalyst for a bundesliga title because he wasn't the catalyst for the champions league win

Defending is a collective team effort messi and Ronaldo consistently deliver individual attacking brilliance so stop talking rubbish
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yea I can tell you watch absolutely no bayern Munich matches messi and Ronaldo should finish ahead of Ribery easily they were far more influential to their teams performance but gj to Ribery for being the catalyst for a bundesliga title because he wasn't the catalyst for the champions league win

Defending is a collective team effort messi and Ronaldo consistently deliver individual attacking brilliance so stop talking rubbish
Yeah and how do you know that ? :lol:

can't be screwed arguing with a moron like you.
baconbutty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah and how do you know that ? :lol:

can't be screwed arguing with a moron like you.
Because literally everyone has disagreed with you...yea ok Ronaldo clearly deserves it stop thinking you are the Robbie savage of the forum and trying to have a different view for the sake of it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
30.57%
The paper was reasonable (525)
39.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (226)
17.06%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.75%

Watched Threads