Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannieBunny)
    I'm hoping I get out of here ASAP but my dad is trying to convince me to wait till Christmas and that 8 weeks won't be long, but honestly it's been a week here and it's felt too long already ( defiantly not a good sign).
    Follow your gut instinct best advice anyone has given me and that will ever be given by anyone!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience in deferring a year, specifically third year? I'm feeling like I can't handle this yet, but my parents are afraid that if I retreat I won't want to come back and will have wasted my time and money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was wondering, if you drop out around this time, do you have to make any immediate payments?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not enjoying university right now, I've only been here a week and already I don't understand what's going on with the course and I'm extremely homesick. The people are nice and I do have "friends" but no specific group yet and the people on my floor don't go out that much. I wonder if I should go to a uni closer to home so I can live at home I want to be there so badly but feel like I'd regret that. Also, I'm at Cambridge so giving up this opportunity I feel would be a massive mistake, just feeling very lost and hopeless really .

ReputationRep:
    when I was younger I always said I didn't want to go to uni. somehow I ended up there anyway I'm not sure why probably due to peer pressure because I've always been told I need a degree to get a good job. I went to college and studied fashion which I loved every minute of, I took a year out after that because I wasn't sure that uni was for me. I applied to a fashion course and started in September 2015 and I hate it everyone keeps telling me to stick at it and that id regret it if I dropped out but I think I knew from the first day of my induction week that it wasn't for me. I did choose to stay at home whilst studying and do think that was the best decision. I think its a mixture of things making me want to drop out, a 2 hour bus commute each way is really no fun, a jam packed timetable meaning I'm in every day of every week also with the timetable changing from week to week its making it impossible to have part-time job, I feel the course is very unsupportive with the workload being so high and all the homework we have to complete by the time I have travelled home some days there is simply no time to do everything. id like some advice before I make a decision but right now I really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefox23)
    I'm really not enjoying university right now, I've only been here a week and already I don't understand what's going on with the course and I'm extremely homesick. The people are nice and I do have "friends" but no specific group yet and the people on my floor don't go out that much. I wonder if I should go to a uni closer to home so I can live at home I want to be there so badly but feel like I'd regret that. Also, I'm at Cambridge so giving up this opportunity I feel would be a massive mistake, just feeling very lost and hopeless really .
    (Original post by confused-fashion)
    when I was younger I always said I didn't want to go to uni. somehow I ended up there anyway I'm not sure why probably due to peer pressure because I've always been told I need a degree to get a good job. I went to college and studied fashion which I loved every minute of, I took a year out after that because I wasn't sure that uni was for me. I applied to a fashion course and started in September 2015 and I hate it everyone keeps telling me to stick at it and that id regret it if I dropped out but I think I knew from the first day of my induction week that it wasn't for me. I did choose to stay at home whilst studying and do think that was the best decision. I think its a mixture of things making me want to drop out, a 2 hour bus commute each way is really no fun, a jam packed timetable meaning I'm in every day of every week also with the timetable changing from week to week its making it impossible to have part-time job, I feel the course is very unsupportive with the workload being so high and all the homework we have to complete by the time I have travelled home some days there is simply no time to do everything. id like some advice before I make a decision but right now I really don't know what to do.
    I dropped out of uni so many times! I've dropped out of 4 unis, and I nearly dropped out of ucl but stuck it out in the end with a lot of therapy. As a serial drop out, my advice to people is to follow their heart and gut instinct. If you are not happy don't listen to what idiots not in your situation tell you about it "getting better". How can they say that if they don't feel what you feel? What what you think is right for you and definitely drop out if you start having mental health issues like I did. I had MH issues because I didn't drop out when I should have and it now hangs over me like a permanent disability which affects my everyday life

ReputationRep:
    dropped out on monday and i feel so relieved. Hated everything about my halls and the uni itself. Going to reapply closer to home next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1997j)
    dropped out on monday and i feel so relieved. Hated everything about my halls and the uni itself. Going to reapply closer to home next year
    Cool! Congrats on your courageous decision! :woo: Where did you drop out from and where you hoping to go next year?

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck for your reapplication, hope it all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in a right mess. I am in my second year at Uni. I changed my course 3 weeks in last year because I knew it wasn't right. I changed from journalism to Philosophy. At first I was sure I'd made the right decision, and I had because Journalism made me feel awful. However, as the year went on I couldn't help but question why I was actually doing it. I don't particularly enjoy it. Nor am I very good at it. This past year has really dented my confidence and I can't remember the last time I felt content with things. I feel so miserable all the time. The only time I'm happy is when I visit home or I'm out with friends. I've skipped everything this week because I just couldn't face it. The more we do the more I want to get out.
    I've tried to do the work but I just have no motivation. I just keep thinking about how much I don't want to do it.
    I really want to drop out but I have no plan B. My life literally has no direction. My parents will support me whatever but I'm afraid of what everyone else will say. I don't want to be the disappointment. I keep thinking that I will never be able to get a job because my CV will say University drop out. I keep thinking that I'll be 20 this year and I should be finishing uni next year so whats the point. I can't start again because then I'll be 23 when I finish and that's even worse.
    Also, despite hating my course and missing home a lot, I really like it here. I have a great group of friends. Them plus the freedom of living the uni life is the only thing keeping me here.
    Is that ridiculous? Would it be a mistake to drop out?
    p/s sorry for the length of my ramblings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    0/2 so far. Anybody else fancy a go?
    I didn't actually intend to rep you.

I was trying to see if I can find out how much all those reps are worth in value.

ReputationRep:
    I literally feel like there's something wrong with me because I don't enjoy uni.. literally everyone else loves it and is having the time of their lives. The third years here don't want to leave. Feel like there must be something wrong with me for not wanting to be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannon277)
    Good Luck for your reapplication, hope it all goes well.
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Cool! Congrats on your courageous decision! :woo: Where did you drop out from and where you hoping to go next year?
    Thank you! I left Manchester. Dunno where I'd reapply, somewhere closer to home that accepts AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorg61013)
    I literally feel like there's something wrong with me because I don't enjoy uni.. literally everyone else loves it and is having the time of their lives. The third years here don't want to leave. Feel like there must be something wrong with me for not wanting to be here.
    That's exactly how I feel! I also get really annoyed when I see how great a time my friends from home are having. I keep asking myself why I don't talk about it the way they do.They all talk about wanting to stay in uni for as long as possible and I'm literally like 'nah can't wait for the end'.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like dropping out, The work load is to much, they are asking to much and the course was different when advertised. I'm going to talk to some tutors on Monday and talk with my other half see if he can understand this new assignment, because I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebg)
    That's exactly how I feel! I also get really annoyed when I see how great a time my friends from home are having. I keep asking myself why I don't talk about it the way they do.They all talk about wanting to stay in uni for as long as possible and I'm literally like 'nah can't wait for the end'.
    I don't understand why my experience is so different!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I left Manchester. Dunno where I'd reapply, somewhere closer to home that accepts AAA
    Good job you got out! Everyone i talked to about manachester has told me it is **** and advised me never to visit it lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littleleopard)
    I feel like dropping out, The work load is to much, they are asking to much and the course was different when advertised. I'm going to talk to some tutors on Monday and talk with my other half see if he can understand this new assignment, because I don't.
    ah sorry to hear let us know how you get on x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefox23)
    Whichever college you're at there will be people you can speak to and explain how you're feeling.
    Do not quit until you've explored the options with them.

It's too early to have a special group of friends, so don't worry about that.
    And no one will care at the start whether you understand or not what's going on in your course, that takes time too.
    But you can explore changing course easily at this stage, while still staying at Cambridge.

You've done so well to come this far.

Go and talk in-college to the welfare officer/chaplain (you don't have to have any religion/religious sense).
    They really do care about freshers.
    You're not the first fresher to feel like this.

Then make your decision...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Good job you got out! Everyone i talked to about manachester has told me it is **** and advised me never to visit it lol!
    Haha good job! Which uni did you drop out from if you don't mind me asking?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.