Brits should start learning some Arabic Watch

This discussion is closed.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by slimmer)
exactly - so their motivation is only to get you to read their koran and also learn arabic. its not a good example you chose.
What are you talking about? You learn Arabic through a mosque for different reasons than why you'd learn ARabic through school (I've already mentioned my reasons for doing so)
christinadelrey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
British people aren't born with the certain accents Arabic people do. My friend tells me Arabic words but I cannot make basic sounds that she can do. Arabic is also massively complicated compared to french and Spanish and requires learning a whole alphabet.
I agree that German shouldn't be taught as it is not a widespread language like Spanish or Portuguese. I think Spanish should be the #1 language students learn, as it is similar to Portuguese and Italian.
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
(Original post by The Epicurean)
Looks like you both came in with preconceived notions without understanding the concept of the very argument. Re-read what I said and under what context.
username948920
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
No. I cant see arabic being useful.
http://www.clscholarship.org/
US government agrees with you!
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
Looks like you both came in with preconceived notions without understanding the concept of the very argument. Re-read what I said and under what context.
What the hell does that have got to do with any thing I said? If any thing, I was pro getting kids to learn Arabic (as well as Hindi and Mandarin), but definitely not on religious grounds
Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Asklepios)
Why should we learn about terrorist culture?
Not everyone who speaks arabic is a terrorist
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You what...? Every thread, in fact, every post you make has some connection with Islam. Therefore it is logical to conclude that you created this thread with an ulterior motive.
Dhaal_Chawal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
exactly - so their motivation is only to get you to read their koran and also learn arabic. its not a good example you chose.
Indo-Chinese Food has become a woman now? :eek:
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by h3isenberg)
Hahaha, wow. Impressive stuff from a future doctor. They speak Arabic in Israel and UAE too and everyone knows those populations are scattered with terrorists...
I would rather be hung, drawn and quartered than live in Dubai.
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you a little off radar of the topic, but in reply- it was the arabs that did kill off millions in africa, middle east, west asia, balkan europe etc in spreading of islam by their wars of imperialism. they also supported the naziis in wwii.
hahahah

I thin as far as Wars of Imperialism go, the Arab one meant a lot more benefits for those being invaded than the scramble for Africa, British Empire, Spanish conquistadors etc. ever could.

The fame of Córdoba penetrated even distant Germany: the Saxon nun Hroswitha, famous in the last half of the 10th century for its Latin poems and dramas, called it the Jewel of the World.
—Reinhardt Dozy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate_of_C%C3%B3rdoba

You know who also supported Nazis a hell of a lot more than fringe Muslim groups? The majority of catholics in mainland Europe. If you were to read Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution' by Laurence Rees, he offers damning evidence of pro-Nazi mobs supported by the wider populace going around and rounding up Jews for them in France and the Channel Islands.

At present, the Jewish name has been soiled especially in the Muslim world by the state of Israel. But historically, Muslim countries have treated their Jewish compatriots far better than their counterparts in Judeo-Christian Europe.

Case in point: Look at Jews in Cordoba before the Muslims came. during their reign and after they left.

And would be great if you can provide stats.With me, I don't think I need to, it's pretty much general knowledge.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inzamam99)
hahahah

I thin as far as Wars of Imperialism go, the Arab one meant a lot more benefits for those being invaded than the scramble for Africa, British Empire, Spanish conquistadors etc. ever could.

The fame of Córdoba penetrated even distant Germany: the Saxon nun Hroswitha, famous in the last half of the 10th century for its Latin poems and dramas, called it the Jewel of the World.
—Reinhardt Dozy

You know who also supported Nazis a hell of a lot more than fringe Muslim groups? The majority of catholics in mainland Europe. If you were to read Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution' by Laurence Rees, he offers damning evidence of pro-Nazi mobs supported by the wider populace going around and rounding up Jews for them in France and the Channel Islands.

At present, the Jewish name has been soiled especially in the Muslim world by the state of Israel. But historically, Muslim countries have treated their Jewish compatriots far better than their counterparts in Judeo-Christian Europe.

Case in point: Look at Jews in Cordoba before the Muslims came. during their reign and after they left.

And would be great if you can provide stats.With me, I don't think I need to, it's pretty much general knowledge.
THis is going off topic... but not to mention the fact that apparently "Mein Kampf" is pretty "catholic" in amongst his ramblings. At least according to some (Jewish)guy who was arguing with me against some racists . And the fact that a) most Muslims in this country aren't Arabs and b) "PAkistan" ie: India volunteered men on our side, with around a third of the army being Muslim

Go figure...

WW2, probably the last "just" war we've had
Al-Mudaari
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What the hell does that have got to do with any thing I said? If any thing, I was pro getting kids to learn Arabic (as well as Hindi and Mandarin), but definitely not on religious grounds
What has this got to do with anything I've said? I think you're on a completely different page to me, and are getting defensive over something no one's mentioned.

But since you came out with the "random outburst", yes, teach them Arabic regardless of your reasons.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What has this got to do with anything I've said? I think you're on a completely different page to me, and are getting defensive over something no one's mentioned.
This is a thread about British people learning Arabic.
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lets concentrate on getting the Arab kids to learn English first.
You find with some schools in areas of London the kids grow up and mix mainly with other kids who dont have English as their first language, so there is less pressure for them to fully grasp it before leaving Primary.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's annoying. There are those who say stuff like "Oh it's a terrorist language"( see what I've quoted) and on the other extreme, there are people saying (essentially) "Why are you NOT learning it. You racist" when it's pretty clear from your past posts, that you're pretty liberal on things
I think people saw my response and lumped me in with the others that were giving daft answers. I do try to correct people where necessary. In terms of the answers by others, I believe some of their answers may be based on the fact that the OP was written by Al-Mudaari.
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No thanks. I already have enough on my plate. If I ever decide to learn another language, it would probably be Greek, as I've already done Ancient Greek and just generally think it's cool. As far as "useful" languages go, the only ones left to me are incredibly difficult, i.e Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic. I would find it cool to speak Japanese also, but my best friend is learning it and it's definitely not easy :eek:

Edit: and in terms of getting kids to learn another language, Arabic is an all around bad choice, as it's hard and has a different scripture. You'd be better off learning Spanish, which is what the article actually said anyway.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by elohssa)
Arabic can be used to woo women as well.
As in "hey wanna go on a date? There's a great public execution going on at the football stadium this Saturday."
DanieleRosato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. NEXT
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
I think people saw my response and lumped me in with the others that were giving daft answers. I do try to correct people where necessary. In terms of the answers by others, I believe some of their answers may be based on the fact that the OP was written by Al-Mudaari.
Here's hoping so any way
slimmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inzamam99)
hahahah

—Reinhardt Dozy

THis is going off topic... but not to mention the fact that apparently "Mein Kampf" is pretty "catholic" in amongst his ramblings. At least according to some (Jewish)guy who was arguing with me against some racists . And the fact that a) most Muslims in this country aren't Arabs and b) "PAkistan" ie: India volunteered men on our side, with around a third of the army being Muslim

Go figure...

WW2, probably the last "just" war we've had
you are right, it shouldnt have gone off topic, but then you can direct that to the guy above that raised it to try jsutify speaking arabic lol. the only reason non-arabs speak arabic is due to arab colonialisation years before the british colonialisation he is whingeing about - seems stupid to whine about one and not the other. Yes- but those 'pakistanis' were under british rule. the point was he tried to imply 'english speakers' were tyrants, when his good old arabs supported hitler and the holocaust. Even a desperate straw clutching to say - 'well arab enslavement was better than eurpean ensalvement ( thats wrong any way, it wasnt arabs that gave muslim countries electricity, gas, running water and proper clean underground sewers, it was the europeans btw) Dont try and make arabs out to be benevolent nice rulers- they werent, they were in the imperialsm game same as eveyone else, they made nonarab muslims their *****es ultimatly, made them change their names, language, culture jsut like slaves had to (just they didnt recorded all their massacres of natives as detials as the europeans did) - now the culture of all those countries is arab culture. The arabs jsut got rich off their colonial slaves ( of whom you are descended) to me that isnt good enough reason to learn their language. for the purposes of commerce etc, mandarin or cantonese would be a far more useful and progressive language to learn.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads