Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala121)
    I think this queston would be good. Just wondering as it says global food security, would local and national strategies be used? I mean global food security can be achieved through local and national strategies.
    Definitely! This is the main focus of my report to be honest - if we concentrated less on exporting goods and focused on the production of food locally or nationally, I think we could gain a far greater supply and better nutritional value. Think of how healthy people look in the Mediterranean; all their food is supplied locally. You may not agree but this is my personal preference.

I additionally did this exam last year. I got a B but I need to resit to get into my university. Last year I didn't have time to write much on my conclusion or complete my methodology. I got my paper back and my teacher said that if I had done that I would have been looking at an A/A* - I am so happy it's on the same enquiry question though!

ReputationRep:
    would it matter if all my case studies relate to increasing food supply and not on security??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinap52)
    would it matter if all my case studies relate to increasing food supply and not on security??
    Yes. You could consider quality not quantity here. If you were to increase the supply of burgers, this is not maximising food security. The FAO's definition of food security concerns nutritional value as well as supply. We are becoming more susceptible to illnesses as food does not contain the nutritional value we require when pesticides and fertilisers are used. This seems to be the fundamental issue.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of doing

High tech vs. low tech techniques
    Intensive vs. traditional farming
    Bottom-up vs top-down approaches

Do you think that would work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDetain)
    I was thinking of doing

High tech vs. low tech techniques
    Intensive vs. traditional farming
    Bottom-up vs top-down approaches

Do you think that would work?
    If including relevant case studies then this would make a very good report. Do sub-conclusions after each to maximise marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ehawks)
    Definitely! This is the main focus of my report to be honest - if we concentrated less on exporting goods and focused on the production of food locally or nationally, I think we could gain a far greater supply and better nutritional value. Think of how healthy people look in the Mediterranean; all their food is supplied locally. You may not agree but this is my personal preference.

I additionally did this exam last year. I got a B but I need to resit to get into my university. Last year I didn't have time to write much on my conclusion or complete my methodology. I got my paper back and my teacher said that if I had done that I would have been looking at an A/A* - I am so happy it's on the same enquiry question though!
    The pre-release is not on the same enquiry question.

This year the focus is specifically on how to increase global food supply sustainably. Food security may indirectly relate, but by no means should it make up the bulk of your report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recurring500)
    The pre-release is not on the same enquiry question.

This year the focus is specifically on how to increase global food supply sustainably. Food security may indirectly relate, but by no means should it make up the bulk of your report.
    It does involve the same enquiry question. The enquiry question is a response to food insecurity and global food supply (as you said) which is enquiry 4. This therefore involves strategies, which is what we had to include last year. My report focuses on the sustainability of each strategy in increasing food supply and with that comes the issue of food security. Supply may be increased but this doesn't necessarily meet the ultimate goal for everybody to be food secure.

So yes, I worded it wrong as it is not necessarily the same focus, but it involves the majority of the factors from last year.

ReputationRep:
    It does involve the same enquiry question. The enquiry question is a response to food insecurity and global food supply (as you said) which is enquiry 4. This therefore involves strategies, which is what we had to include last year. My report focuses on the sustainability of each strategy in increasing food supply and with that comes the issue of food security. Supply may be increased but this doesn't necessarily meet the ultimate goal for everybody to be food secure.

So yes, I worded it wrong as it is not necessarily the same focus, but it involves the majority of the factors from last year.
    Fair enough yeah it does involve the same wording and is about 'strategies'. But it is important to focus on food supply and not food security.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough yeah it does involve the same wording and is about 'strategies'. But it is important to focus on food supply and not food security.
    What he said ^ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well thank you for reminding me. Damn, that sounds sarcastic, but I'm being genuine. Adding in sustainability in terms of social, economic and environmental factors and adding whether it increases supply! Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm laying out my report as Global, National and local. I'm also doing a sub conclusion after every case study to talk about directly mention about the sustainability. Would it be god to do a sub conclusion after e.g. global strategies? To maybe compare the two strategies mentioned?? My teacher said it would be good, but I'm tight for time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm laying out my report as Global, National and local. I'm also doing a sub conclusion after every case study to talk about directly mention about the sustainability. Would it be god to do a sub conclusion after e.g. global strategies? To maybe compare the two strategies mentioned?? My teacher said it would be good, but I'm tight for time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely do sub-conclusions and definitely compare - the build up makes the report stronger and stronger and the conclusion easier!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do sub-conclusions and definitely compare - the build up makes the report stronger and stronger and the conclusion easier!
    I hope I have enough time thanks good luck tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope I have enough time thanks good luck tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! You too!

Yes, the timing is awful on this paper - it realistically needs to be about half an hour longer! Just don't do what I did and spend too long on the introduction and methodology - one tip I did - write out a bibliography first in short hand on one of the back pages because this counts towards methodology!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a really good definition of food supply

ReputationRep:
    it is going to be a mission trying to memories all these case studies for the exam tomorrow. Here is my plan - any feedback would be very helpful!

Intro - Define Food Security (World Summit Report)
    Reasons why there's a need to increase supply - increasing population, high levels of hunger etc.
    Define sustainability (Bruntsland report)
    Scale of strategies - local, national, international
    Draw sustainability quadrant (FEEP. Futurity, Eco-friendly, Equity and Public Participation)

Methodology - Source/Usage/Effectiveness.
    Textbook, UN Websites, Economist, Guardian and Practical Action

Main - International - Liberalisation of trade
    National - Vertical Farming, Singapore. Green Revolution, India.
    Local - Zeer pots - North Dafur, Sudan. Floating Gardens - Gaibandha District, Bangladesh

Each case study followed by sub-conclusion which analyses sustainability using the quadrant or economic,social,environmental,po litical effects.

May have a broad strategy - Population control to tackle demand side as demand is noted in Pre-Release.
    - Talk about Kerala's Policy
    - Mention Malthus Population theory (population exceeds supply and natural checks bla bla bla)

Conclusion - link back to sustainability definition and assess the strategies. Might rank from most to least effective/sustainable
    - which works best - nationao/local etc.
    - regards to Malthus, I will disagree by using Boserup's theory and then evaluate again using Neo-Malthus theory
    - difficulties in implementing different strategies

GOOD LUCK GUYS! hope my last minute revision works! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moeyabas)
    it is going to be a mission trying to memories all these case studies for the exam tomorrow. Here is my plan - any feedback would be very helpful!

Reasons why there's a need to increase supply - increasing population, high levels of hunger etc.
    Draw sustainability quadrant (FEEP. Futurity, Eco-friendly, Equity and Public Participation)

Local - Zeer pots - North Dafur, Sudan. Floating Gardens - Gaibandha District, Bangladesh

Each case study followed by sub-conclusion which analyses sustainability using the quadrant or economic,social,environmental,po litical effects.

May have a broad strategy - Population control to tackle demand side as demand is noted in Pre-Release.
    - Mention Malthus Population theory (population exceeds supply and natural checks bla bla bla)

Conclusion - link back to sustainability definition and assess the strategies. Might rank from most to least effective/sustainable
    - regards to Malthus, I will disagree by using Boserup's theory and then evaluate again using Neo-Malthus theory

That's basically exactly the same as my report except with different case studies. I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time and will only get to talk about 4 case studies :/

Good luck with the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaw15138)
    That's basically exactly the same as my report except with different case studies. I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time and will only get to talk about 4 case studies :/

Good luck with the exam!
    (Original post by moeyabas)

Guys I know what the Malthusian and boserupian model is but what is the neo Malthus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaw15138)

Good luck with the exam!
    Is it so bad only doing 4 cases? I think il end up doing 4 or maybe 5 but only if i have time

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone learned their report yet???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.