Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    No, but most Etonians I've met do seem to have been genuinely inspired to love learning by their teachers, though I am somewhat dubious about the overall effeect of a concentration of top teaching talent on a very small number of boys who are likely to embrace education anyway, which I think is what education should do. However, the other stuff certainly doesn't hurt in a world where a job for life with a decent salary is an increasingly rare commodity.
    It's not what I'd choose :dontknow:,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    No you didn't, we had a discussion about it. The only time I have insulted you was in a different thread where you insulted me first
    I didn't insult you at all, but I can see this is going to descend into an argument if I try to defend my corner.

Let me just say that I am glad to find someone who agrees with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red one)
    I did not criticise mum's who go back to work ASAP after giving birth, you might want to re-read the quote you just responded to in the correct context. I was making a point for how society wants women to go back to work to contribute to the GDP rather than actually look after their loved ones for more than 2 weeks.

And no I don't think men are selfish.
    Think you'll find you did...and society wants men to go back to work to contribute to the GDP rather than actually look after their loved ones for more than 2 weeks but I don't see you complaining :unimpressed:
    And why would that be? They're doing the same thing...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's not what I'd choose :dontknow:,
    No, me neither boarding's ****ing weird and it's a rarified existence, but I think if you don't oject to those the base goal of producing a child who is well educated and loves learning is what many parents will be hoping to see age 18 when they pack Junior off for their first day at primary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MASTER265)
    The video is fake and commercially bias
    stay at home mums have it very easy and they wouldn't know hard work if it stared them in the face
    both can be hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking for childcare, if both are working full time you'll have to pay childcare

Also what's the point? Why have kid to send them to a school to bring them up?
    Cause they learn to be far more independent and self sufficient. Little things like going away from home for uni etc won't be nearly as hard if the kids gone to boarding school.

I think everyone should experience boarding school for a few years at least, but that's for another discussion I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpistolero7)
    Cause they learn to be far more independent and self sufficient. Little things like going away from home for uni etc won't be nearly as hard if the kids gone to boarding school.

I think everyone should experience boarding school for a few years at least, but that's for another discussion I guess.
    I used to wish I'd gone to boarding school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    I used to wish I'd gone to boarding school
    Its great , barring the first 2 or 3 weeks of waterworks you need to get through if you go to one at a young age .

ReputationRep:

You can teach your child to be independent without sending them away to a stranger which is essentially kids on a production line.

I would have hated boarding school. My parents used to use it as a threat "don't misbehave or we 'll send you to boarding school ".

ReputationRep:
    And that's okay. But it's also okay to be a stay at home mum
    No one said it isn't ok (before your comment) - they're just saying it isn't the hardest job. Just like it's ok to be a doctor, or a painter, or a musician...

You're absolutely right it's pathetic how people like you dismiss stay at home mums as parasites because they choose to sacrifice themselves everyday for the sake of caring for their own children rather than being selfish and going back to work less than a month after giving birth.
    Good for you, make an argument based on putting words in other people's mouths.

ReputationRep:
    You can teach your child to be independent without sending them away to a stranger which is essentially kids on a production line.

I would have hated boarding school. My parents used to use it as a threat "don't misbehave or we 'll send you to boarding school ".
    That's really harshly put. How can you make a comment like that without ever having been at one? I've studied at home, with parents around, by that I mean a normal day school and been to boarding for a substantial while too. There were people from about 30 countries in my year, incredibly diverse student body and I learned so much from so many people. Not a chance in hell I'd have grown up to be nearly as responsible at home, even though my parents were strict when needed and all around great at parenting in my (naturally biased) opinion. None of my friends or I from boarding school resemble anything like what you imply by that "production line" statement, which is quite insulting to be honest.

Teaching your kids independence is one thing. Them living away from you, doing little things like taking care of their closet on their own
    . On average, the kids who go to boarding are far better with this stuff, as they are with dealing with being away from family and stuff, which is a big hitch for some when they attend university.

Sure, that's cause you hated the idea of being away from them. I did too. I was young when I went off and was against the idea initially, but I appreciate the decision now more than ever, especially considering how hard it was for mum to send her only kid away. If you'd actually gone to one, you may have liked it, who knows?

ReputationRep:
    That's really harshly put. How can you make a comment like that without ever having been at one? I've studied at home, with parents around, by that I mean a normal day school and been to boarding for a substantial while too. There were people from about 30 countries in my year, incredibly diverse student body and I learned so much from so many people. Not a chance in hell I'd have grown up to be nearly as responsible at home, even though my parents were strict when needed and all around great at parenting in my (naturally biased) opinion. None of my friends or I from boarding school resemble anything like what you imply by that "production line" statement, which is quite insulting to be honest.

Teaching your kids independence is one thing. Them living away from you, doing little things like taking care of their closet on their own
    . On average, the kids who go to boarding are far better with this stuff, as they are with dealing with being away from family and stuff, which is a big hitch for some when they attend university.

Sure, that's cause you hated the idea of being away from them. I did too. I was young when I went off and was against the idea initially, but I appreciate the decision now more than ever, especially considering how hard it was for mum to send her only kid away. If you'd actually gone to one, you may have liked it, who knows?
    Sorry if I offended, I'm not tying to. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I went to a state college and met people from different nationalities and a very diverse people too. You don't need to go to boarding school to get that!

So? You can learn that at any point. And going to UNI isn't everyone's goal
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Being a mother is hard, definitely, but the video does exaggerate. If anything, if you're breastfeeding and have a very "sucky" child, one of the main problems is being able to get up off a chair to get anything see done! And then they fall asleep on you, and you daren't move the little bugger because if you do they'll wake up and scream!
    Why do you think I'm always on TSR?!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I offended, I'm not tying to. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I went to a state college and met people from different nationalities and a very diverse people too. You don't need to go to boarding school to get that!

So? You can learn that at any point. And going to UNI isn't everyone's goal
    Fair enough, I hope you can see that your initial comment about the "production line" wasn't the most polite and rather judgy.

Ah, well for me, my normal school was utter ****e. Bad crowd, no diversity and no one wanted to do anything with their life (mostly), so the difference in well everything at my boarding school enhanced the positivity of the whole experience for me. I'm not saying going to your local state school is wrong. Anything but. I just think if people can afford it, boarding school can be an outstanding and very worthwhile experience.

I think its best that people learn certain things at a young age, cause its hard to pick things up sometimes when you're older and set in your ways. Emotional independence, maturity tend to come in faster when you're not in a protected environment, as most tend to be at home IMO.

I can appreciate that uni isn't everyone's goal, but it was for 95% of my year for example, but the stuff about being more ready for life away from home isn't just pertinent to going away to university, so I think you've missed my point there a bit.

I have noticed a massive difference in the issues my friends who haven't been to boarding have settling into uni and being away from family and those to have been to boarding, though. That's just an example of being away from home though, plenty of other things where traits like this can come in very, very handy.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I hope you can see that your initial comment about the "production line" wasn't the most polite and rather judgy.

Ah, well for me, my normal school was utter ****e. Bad crowd, no diversity and no one wanted to do anything with their life (mostly), so the difference in well everything at my boarding school enhanced the positivity of the whole experience for me. I'm not saying going to your local state school is wrong. Anything but. I just think if people can afford it, boarding school can be an outstanding and very worthwhile experience.

I think its best that people learn certain things at a young age, cause its hard to pick things up sometimes when you're older and set in your ways. Emotional independence, maturity tend to come in faster when you're not in a protected environment, as most tend to be at home IMO.

I can appreciate that uni isn't everyone's goal, but it was for 95% of my year for example, but the stuff about being more ready for life away from home isn't just pertinent to going away to university, so I think you've missed my point there a bit.

I have noticed a massive difference in the issues my friends who haven't been to boarding have settling into uni and being away from family and those to have been to boarding, though. That's just an example of being away from home though, plenty of other things where traits like this can come in very, very handy.
    You're making assumptions there. I'd bet I'm more mature than most my age, and I wasn't really "protected". I have had pretty much freedom from 16, a lot before

You're also assuming that to go to UNI you have to live away from home. Plenty of people go local

I understand what you're saying but you're downplaying the importance and advantages of close family

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Let me think. Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that's rubbish. Being a stay at home mother is NOT the hardest job, far from it. Why it is even seen as a job is beyond me- looking after your children should not be a 'job'. Furthermore, just how much do you have to do? It's really not that much. (And don't say I don't know what I'm talking about- I've seen my mother going through 4 pregnancies after she had me, I know what I'm saying). The most work is when they're a baby. After that it gets progressively easier. And when the kids are sent off to school, stay at home mothers literally have nothing to do.
    It's not that I have no respect for mothers who choose to stay at home after their children are 5 (well, I don't), but honestly? I think they're rather lazy. They spend their time doing nothing- why not contribute to the economy of the country?

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in the last thread. Because it's hilarious and relevant, I'm sharing it again.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay to be a stay-at-home mum.
    No-one said it wasn't. We're saying that its not the hardest job because it clearly isn't - its harder to be a mum and work at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    You're making assumptions there. I'd bet I'm more mature than most my age, and I wasn't really "protected". I have had pretty much freedom from 16, a lot before

You're also assuming that to go to UNI you have to live away from home. Plenty of people go local

I understand what you're saying but you're downplaying the importance and advantages of close family
    Sure, you might be more mature than most your age, and that's great. A lot of what I've said is based on what I've seen around me. There are a fair few mature kids who never go to boarding school, of course there are....I haven't said there cant be? Notice how I said on average...there's the norm, and then there's exceptions.

Assumptions? I can sort of see why you've say that, but its more observations than assumptions. Everything I've said is based on stuff I've seen around me (my friends, their families, my own family etc). I've also stated on multiple occasions that its my opinion, not hard and fast rules.

A lot of people move away for uni, though. Again, you're nitpicking here. That's not the point I'm trying to get across. I'm talking about emotional independence and being ready for stuff like moving away for uni, or work, a new job, moving to another country etc. Its no good having a discussion if we start nitpicking to downplay the other's opinion. There's a clear difference in the readiness of a boarder than a non boarder with stuff like that. Its one of the big plus points of a boarding school experience, as I stated in my previous post.

Sure, you weren't protected and got independence. But, generally, you're a whole lot less likely to be in a protected environment at boarding school than at home though, and there's a ton of advantages with being independently at an early age, as I'm sure you appreciate given your experience of being independent from a relatively early age.

I'm not downplaying the importance and advantages of family. In the 4 months I was home during a year, I made a greater effort to connect with my parents and we made the most of our time together. I saw that you stated that you're very close to your mother. That's great, but you realize that most kids aren't that close to their parents? Being away from home for more than half the year can make you appreciate your parents (the child for the parents) far more (absence making the heart grow fonder and all).

It was positive for my family for sure. You can be a very close knit family, care for each other deeply and have the kid be at boarding school, its not mutually exclusive stuff by any means.

ReputationRep:
    Is this for real? Stay at home mom is the HARDEST job in the world? A role that plethora of countless women have managed to combine with other jobs.

What sort of a red herring is this.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.